What is the acceptable warm up time of a 550xp?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your are absolutely correct, it doesn't help him at all and he's out that days work or more while the saw goes back. I can have limiters off if needed in a jiffy, tune the saw and get right back to work without wasting all that down time. Splined screws? Who wouldnt have that tool in their saw box if they cut with such a thing?

Non of this extra tech on saws is going to make up for a lost days work. How many days would you have lost over they years if you couldn't have tweaked something simple in the field and kept right on going?

Not all saw problems can be "tweaked in the field." And I'm glad you can have limiters off in a jiffy but you're not the OP with the problem. Complaining in his thread does no good, you should start your own thread with complaints of your theoretical downtime due to technology you don't have. At least wait til his problem is solved before you muddy up the thread.

Not all saw problems can be "tweaked in the field." And I'm glad you can have limiters off in a jiffy but you're not the OP with the problem. Complaining in his thread does no good, you should start your own thread with complaints of your theoretical downtime due to technology you don't have. At least wait til his problem is solved before you muddy up the thread.

Your the one muddying up the guys thread defending crap that has no useful place on a work saw in the real world. Both the AT saws I bought new (one 550 and one 576) this year had the same issues on cold start after the first couple tanks or so. Nothing but a headache and lost time and money. Ironic when your new AT saws both go down on a job and the old tired ones come out to do the real work.

The only people that defend this sort of thing stand to make a buck from it in some fashion, buyer beware! You arent fixing these AT's in the field, better have back up saws on hand.

Non of this extra tech on saws is going to make up for a lost days work. How many days would you have lost over they years if you couldn't have tweaked something simple in the field and kept right on going?

So non AT saws are perfect, and never breakdown? Sorry but if this thread was about a bad carb, bad seal you wouldn't bat an eye. Because this saw has the AT system, you and many others who fear advancement, jump on it like a pack of wolves. Nothing ever changes, other than the date.:potstir:

Last edited:
some of you guys should go back to crosscut saws if you cant handle new stuff life was great back then :sword:

OP: my 550 warms up and starts same as my older saws and is cutting its 6th semiload of pine now. I think saws are like people, some sit around, those dont work very well.

They told you that? I know you have it, did the factory rep actually say that?

If there is an update then you load the new updated version to the saw. There is nothing to adjust or tweak or modify. The computer software is for diagnostics/data reading at this point.

And yes that is from the Husqvarna 562xp and autotune factory training class.

I see both sides of the issue, but when you have a problem with an auto tune you are at the mercy of the dealer for diagnostics. This is because the first step in diagnosing it is to plug the saw in and check codes and data, before running it. If they are busy ,most likely the average Joe will have to leave the saw and have to do with out untill they get to it. On the other hand, a regualr saw can be back in the game by savvy users much quicker

I see both sides of the issue, but when you have a problem with an auto tune you are at the mercy of the dealer for diagnostics. This is because the first step in diagnosing it is to plug the saw in and check codes and data, before running it. If they are busy ,most likely the average Joe will have to leave the saw and have to do with out untill they get to it. On the other hand, a regualr saw can be back in the game by savvy users much quicker

You need to explain why it would be that way - I see no reason that it would? :msp_confused:

Sounds like the same scenario to me for either type... either rebuild or replace carb.

In fact an AT is easier because it tunes itself and one need not worry about blowing up the saw by running it leaner than richard simmons.:jester:

Screw the diag tool.

From this side of the counter, I see the professional/commercial saw users bringing saws in for carb adjustments and plugged fuel filters frequently - something many here would consider simple and "field serviceable." Remember this site contains a small percentage of saw users when compared to the real world. AT or not, professional or homeowner, it doesn't seem to make a difference except in the enthusiast world. It all relies on what each individual end user wants/expects from their equipment.

From this side of the counter, I see the professional/commercial saw users bringing saws in for carb adjustments and plugged fuel filters frequently - something many here would consider simple and "field serviceable." Remember this site contains a small percentage of saw users when compared to the real world. AT or not, professional or homeowner, it doesn't seem to make a difference except in the enthusiast world. It all relies on what each individual end user wants/expects from their equipment.

I'll go one step further. In my area, the home owner will pull and pull on a saw trying to get it running. They may even mess with the screws or start taking it apart. The commercial guys on the other hand, when a saw doesn't start, throw it to the side and grab another. They don't waste time diagnosing the problem when they have to get a job done. Nine times out of ten they drop it off the next morning saying only it doesn't run, fix it :msp_biggrin:

Not saying all commercial guys are like that but most.

I looked, but I don't have a pic of the L needle. Anyone have a loose carb? If so, take a pic of the front flange where the filter adapter mates up to it.

Yeah they got it tucked in there in. It's on the back of the carb just under the filter holder. It is just above the hole for the left carb bolt at about a 1 O'clock position.

Yeah they got it tucked in there in. It's on the back of the carb just under the filter holder. It is just above the hole for the left carb bolt at about a 1 O'clock position.

Looked at my 555/562 carbs. No screw on them.

Does it adjust the transition from low to high or the low passage size?

Last edited:
If there is an update then you load the new updated version to the saw. There is nothing to adjust or tweak or modify. The computer software is for diagnostics/data reading at this point.

And yes that is from the Husqvarna 562xp and autotune factory training class.

This is a semantics issue then. I would consider an update to be an adjustment, an adjustment is any alteration, the code is replaced if available or required, along with an error code that says replace this or that of the mechanical parts.

And if the code is replaceable, that means it can be tweaked. Not by you guys at the dealersdhip, but it is tweaked back at husky intergalactic. You are just passing along the tweak then.

Eventually if there is enough interest and some access occurs to people who know what they are doing, it will get jailbroken, same as any other chip controlled gadget. Thats such a big wildcard, I cant make any other statements about that. Just gonna take the right guy with the right skills to buy one and check it out.

Anyway, the OPs saw just needs to go back to the shop, thats about it. If he putzes with the buried L jet screw, thats his lookout. I have no idea, and dont care at this point, I that adjustment done by him and not the dealer would cause warranty service to be compromised. maybe not at your dealership, but if it shows up as changed if/when he hauls it in to his local dealer, perhaps he will get screwed then. I cant answer that at all. Similar to what would a dealership do if a new saw under warranty came in broken, with removed limiters and huge new holes in the muffler.

No one can speak for all dealerships. We can agree on this? Theres theoretical, then real world scenarios.

Like said, the minor problems with the new AT saws isn't an AT problem.

Some of the problems are operator error in starting, some are bad carbs. Time will sort it out.

This is a semantics issue then. I would consider an update to be an adjustment, an adjustment is any alteration, the code is replaced if available or required, along with an error code that says replace this or that of the mechanical parts.

And if the code is replaceable, that means it can be tweaked. Not by you guys at the dealersdhip, but it is tweaked back at husky intergalactic. You are just passing along the tweak then.

Eventually if there is enough interest and some access occurs to people who know what they are doing, it will get jailbroken, same as any other chip controlled gadget. Thats such a big wildcard, I cant make any other statements about that. Just gonna take the right guy with the right skills to buy one and check it out.

Anyway, the OPs saw just needs to go back to the shop, thats about it. If he putzes with the buried L jet screw, thats his lookout. I have no idea, and dont care at this point, I that adjustment done by him and not the dealer would cause warranty service to be compromised. maybe not at your dealership, but if it shows up as changed if/when he hauls it in to his local dealer, perhaps he will get screwed then. I cant answer that at all. Similar to what would a dealership do if a new saw under warranty came in broken, with removed limiters and huge new holes in the muffler.

No one can speak for all dealerships. We can agree on this? Theres theoretical, then real world scenarios.

Is this different than persay replacing a carb with a new/different model of carb? We no longer want to put the Zama carb on this model, now it's going to a Walbro. Or vice versa.

Sounds like there's something wrong with the OP's saw that can easily be fixed by a dealer, no different than if it had a bad seal or the A/V mount was broken or the oil pump didn't work right.

On the other hand, I can't remember how many pieces of equipment I've had that simply did not function due to non-adjustable (or limited adjustment) non-feedback carbs, from 4-stroke generators and mowers to chainsaws. These could not be simply fixed, they needed to be modified/re-designed in order to make the expensive product I paid for even functional.

And with AT you get a performance and economy increase too. In fact the technology required to do this is so primitive that it's almost comical, yet people who daily depend on far more advanced and complex stuff are all worked up about it.

It reminds me of when they replaced the time card system here on the production floor with a hand scanner, and people were all upset that they had to put their hand on it, as that might not be sanitary. That it was 5 feet from the door pull everyone uses had escaped them....

Latest posts

Back