What is the acceptable warm up time of a 550xp?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As was a homely Stihl ms250ce to me once :D

Different saws have their quirks. As do tractors or snowblowers or cars or trucks. They all do different things but are still normal.

The 250C (and its variants) have to be the worst contraption of a saw Stihl ever put out, a nightmare to do even the simplest work on. If anything is even worse, I'd like to hear about it! :msp_wink:

The 250C (and its variants) have to be the worst contraption of a saw Stihl ever put out, a nightmare to do even the simplest work on. If anything is even worse, I'd like to hear about it! :msp_wink:

The 025/MS250 doesn't even hold a candle to the Mini Mac.

The 250c serves a very specific purpose and does very well at that.

Been sick with a nasty virus/sinus infection/bronchitis. Before that working 70 hours a week and raising 4 children prevented me from sparing time to take it in. Called the shop and tech is out till friday. I need the saw saturday. This saw is used 90% of the time cutting firewood for charitable purposes. But... because I did post on AS first I can walk out and fatten the mixture and see how it runs. I think it'll be fine. If not I'll take it in next week. I don't really like the dealer and I hate to be that customer that walks in says "saw runs good but its too picky to start"

Fair enough! Hope you get better man and glad about that relatively minor adjustment you can make without hauling it in.

Pulled the air filter today looking for the adjustment screw. I really didn't want to muck around removing parts considering its under warranty. What I did find was a thick coating of brown dirt in the intake tract under the air filter. Its wearing the the yellow nylon filter currently. It appeared clean on top the bottom pleats were slightly dirty. I checked the sealing surfaces which appeared clean and in good working order. I could see no damage to the filter. I've been cutting clean wood left in piles by a landscaper. Its all been pin oak, hard maple, and willow mostly green. I get a days use out of sharp chain. A quick search revealed others having similar issues with the 346 and most recommending a switch to a flocked filter and trip to the dealer. I've been reticent to take it in because I don't like the dealer and I was getting bad vibes(they are the only good sized saw dealer near me). I arrived in the service area and asked for the saw tech. His body language was combative/standoffish. I explained the symptoms and he said "its $45 deposit to check it out. Husky will refund you the deposit if its covered". "Fuel related issues are not covered". I said its running stihl ultra and fresh non ethanol premium I would hope its not fuel related. After he got the saw checked in I asked about dirt getting through the filter and if there was a flocked filter available. He said there was no other filter available and that me letting the carb throat get dirty might be the the problem. It'll be there a week before they can even check it out.

Pulled the air filter today looking for the adjustment screw. I really didn't want to muck around removing parts considering its under warranty. What I did find was a thick coating of brown dirt in the intake tract under the air filter. Its wearing the the yellow nylon filter currently. It appeared clean on top the bottom pleats were slightly dirty. I checked the sealing surfaces which appeared clean and in good working order. I could see no damage to the filter. I've been cutting clean wood left in piles by a landscaper. Its all been pin oak, hard maple, and willow mostly green. I get a days use out of sharp chain. A quick search revealed others having similar issues with the 346 and most recommending a switch to a flocked filter and trip to the dealer. I've been reticent to take it in because I don't like the dealer and I was getting bad vibes(they are the only good sized saw dealer near me). I arrived in the service area and asked for the saw tech. His body language was combative/standoffish. I explained the symptoms and he said "its $45 deposit to check it out. Husky will refund you the deposit if its covered". "Fuel related issues are not covered". I said its running stihl ultra and fresh non ethanol premium I would hope its not fuel related. After he got the saw checked in I asked about dirt getting through the filter and if there was a flocked filter available. He said there was no other filter available and that me letting the carb throat get dirty might be the the problem. It'll be there a week before they can even check it out.

That's not cool. If you were closer I'd fix it up for you.

That's not cool. If you were closer I'd fix it up for you.

Do you think I should pull the saw out of the shop and try to find a better dealer? A lot of digging and I've found one over an hour away that seems better. The thing that rubs me wrong is I get the feeling they stick it to the customers here. When I bought the saw I had to order a saw box because they were out of stock. He said a few days. I told them I'd be traveling out of town the next 3 weekends to cut firewood and needed the box. After waiting 2 weeks I bought one at the big box store. When it finally came in I went down to the dealer to get the 3 chains shortened that they had cut too long(wanted 3 extra loops of RMC) and pick up the box. I asked if I could just get a refund for the box stating it took an excessive amount of time to get here. The sales guy said he couldn't because it was special order. And I said but you ordered 4. He said we only needed three. He suggested I sell it on craigslist or return it to lowes. I'm not one to be a jerk or burn a bridge but my gut says to run.

Sounds like you need to find another dealer. $45 deposit for warranty?

Probably a $45 deposit for anything. Which makes sense pending dealer history. I've got a few things sitting on my shelf that I have time and money/parts sunk into with little evidence the owner will ever show up again. So now I have a deposit policy in most occurances. Some places make exceptions, others can't as it brings judgement into play and when you're the owner getting burned, sometimes someone else's judgement isn't ok :wink2:

But that's the beside the point, the attitude is what get's me.

Deposit on a brand new saw is ludicrous. Working in bike shops, if someone wanted to drop off a POS it was ok, but if the repair even looked like it might approach 25% of the value of the vehicle then some funds needed to be left.

Last edited:
I always put my 550xp to bed with a good warm blanket, so it never gets really cold. It always performs best after a good nights sleep. A bad-azz saw like the 550xp will do that! :msp_smile: It had my MS362 backed into a corner one morning shivering and peeing bar oil. I'm just glad I got there when I did! Could have been ugly. ;)

Me, I'd go get it, adjust the carb and order the flock filter from one of the sponsors here. I'm assuming they make more than one filter for the 550, like they do for the 346.
522 67 54-01 1 NYLON 80 µm black
522 67 54-02 1 NYLON 44 µm yellow
522 67 54-03 1 FELT white

I always put my 550xp to bed with a good warm blanket, so it never gets really cold. It always performs best after a good nights sleep. A bad-azz saw like the 550xp will do that! :msp_smile: It had my MS362 backed into a corner one morning shivering and peeing bar oil. I'm just glad I got there when I did! Could have been ugly. ;)

hi larry us !!!

I get burned all the time by customers, but funny thing is that most have all become great customers in the long run and that lil freebie fix paved highways. By not imposing a deposit or minimum charge, I get too much business, and going that lil bit extra pays dividends.

To the OP build a relationship if you can with that dealer dont assume off the bat hes a bad dealer, he may just be looking after other longer term customers or pro users.

If you walk into your GM or Ford dealership to they drop everything and fix your truck right away even if its under warranty?

Put it all into perspective.

I get burned all the time by customers, but funny thing is that most have all become great customers in the long run and that lil freebie fix paved highways. By not imposing a deposit or minimum charge, I get too much business, and going that lil bit extra pays dividends.

To the OP build a relationship if you can with that dealer dont assume off the bat hes a bad dealer, he may just be looking after other longer term customers or pro users.

If you walk into your GM or Ford dealership to they drop everything and fix your truck right away even if its under warranty?

Put it all into perspective.

I've bought parts from them for 2 years. I don't mind building a relationship, I paid full retail and didn't complain when I was standing in a firewood pile with a dull saw and no chains that fit. Everyone makes mistakes but to have an attitude that the customer is guilty until the tech says otherwise doesn't bode well.

I've bought parts from them for 2 years. I don't mind building a relationship, I paid full retail and didn't complain when I was standing in a firewood pile with a dull saw and no chains that fit. Everyone makes mistakes but to have an attitude that the customer is guilty until the tech says otherwise doesn't bode well.
Yup, trust your instincts - this is about human interations, and that's what those are for!

Do you get to talk to the tech or is he just some dude in the back?, and you get to deal with the monkey at the counter? If that is the case why did you buy a saw from them?

I made the set screw adjustment, but my saw has become much harder to start, particularly when its cold...any idea on which way to adjust the screw for easier starting?
I must say though, it seems to run must better

Back