What is the acceptable warm up time of a 550xp?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Counterclockwise should be the direction you went in. Be sure to get a base setting by counting the turns in first so you know where you started.

Counterclockwise should be the direction you went in. Be sure to get a base setting by counting the turns in first so you know where you started.

I am about 1/8 CCW from the factory setting, tried the quarter turn CCW and it would not fire, so I tried the 1/8th and still very difficult. Do you think the MM would have anything to do with the screw set point? I like the snap off the bottom it has now, just wish it would start much easier.

I did inadvertently remove the choke cam screw, it took some time to get it to work properly, but finally did and checked the return of the choke when I gave it gas, all is well. I have some excavator clean up in the morn and will give it a reset and try it. Thank for helping me out. I love me 550, its the second saw I ever owned, not bad for 48 years old.

That little slotted head is a needle, just like you're used to seeing in a carb. You can bottom it out fur a reference setting, and then remove it to see for yourself. It's a shame that you have to take the saw apart to adjust it. At least it's there!

Any idea which brand of "carb" it is and/or did u find some info about this "carb"

rdgs,
Jan

I'm not one to be a jerk or burn a bridge but my gut says to run.

But some bridges ought to be burned, and this is one of them. :angry:

Nothing wrong with the concept of a minimum or a deposit, but $45 is a bit excessive, and policies like this need to be flexible with something that was just purchased. And the $45 is not refunded by Husky, because they didn't collect it. That's totally the dealer.

We have a rule for when guys come in and they are thinking warranty: We don't need to talk about "who pays" until we find out what happened. Some guys are reasonable and some aren't, but you need to determine what happened before you can assign responsibility.

Ordering the 4 pack of cases and then telling you that your's was a "special order" is really lame. You're right, the attitude there is all wrong. And any decent Husky dealer knows full well that there are different filters available for most saws.

On second thought don't burn the bridge, get a demolition team and blow it. :rock:

I am about 1/8 CCW from the factory setting, tried the quarter turn CCW and it would not fire, so I tried the 1/8th and still very difficult. Do you think the MM would have anything to do with the screw set point? I like the snap off the bottom it has now, just wish it would start much easier.

I did inadvertently remove the choke cam screw, it took some time to get it to work properly, but finally did and checked the return of the choke when I gave it gas, all is well. I have some excavator clean up in the morn and will give it a reset and try it. Thank for helping me out. I love me 550, its the second saw I ever owned, not bad for 48 years old.
Are you using the air purge bulb? Usually takes more than a few pumps.

My 562xp was a pain in the ass to start at first. Then I learned how to start it. Now it starts easier than any of them... :)

Last edited:

Mine has a MM also and that doesn't seem to have affected it. I took mine about 3/8 turn out from stock and got good results. I did the 1/4 turn first, thought maybe it could go a little further for better results, and it worked. Starts up nice and easy, and throttle response is lightning fast.

Hard starting even after the adjustment might be a sign of a bad mix or something. Try some fresh mix and see what happens.

Well scratch this dealer off the list. $45 for someone to start my saw on warm day say "mehh it runs all right". I have it writing that "there are no adjustments, all mixture functions are controlled by the computer". I intend to get my money back. The entertaining way.
smittysinvoice01232013_0001.jpg

Last edited:
Are you using the air purge bulb? Usually takes more than a few pumps.

My 562xp was a pain in the ass to start at first. Then I learned how to start it. Now it starts easier than any of them... :)

Same here, when I first got my 550 I had starting issues. Since I started using the purge bulb it may be the easiest starting saw I have ever owned.

On a side note: Since Xmas I have been using my 361 Stihl at work because it has a heated handlebar. I used my 550 today despite the cold, have been smiling ever since.:msp_biggrin:

Interesting how the labor charge + tax ate up your $45.00 deposit to the penny.
Time to find a new dealer.

For less than $45 you could have shipped the saw to me and back - with results :msp_w00t:

Call Husqvarna with all your info ready. I would take this up the ladder.

Crooks, absolute crooks. We wouldn't charge anything to take a quick look in that situation. They didn't even do anything.

No point in calling Husky, as they have nothing what so ever to do with a situation like this. This is a store policy where they have an excessive minimum charge, with apparently ZERO flexibility.

Definitely time to burn that bridge. I'd never go near the place again.

Who the hell has a shop labour rate or $82.84 and hour in the US? Australia yes, Canada maybe possible in the city, in Olathe Kansas??

Ah I got it figured out...................the yellow brick road, only them bricks are made of GOLD!

Interesting how the labor charge + tax ate up your $45.00 deposit to the penny.
Time to find a new dealer.

Well he wanted to charge me $2.12. I had already paid $45. I asked so your charging me 2.12 or 47.12 for looking at my saw? Thats when he adjusted the ticket.

For less than $45 you could have shipped the saw to me and back - with results :msp_w00t:

I'm going to adjust the carb tomorrow night myself. I didn't want to get into a situation where husky wouldn't warranty the saw if there was a problem. However seeing as the warranty is useless at this dealer I think I'll go ahead and muffler mod it while I'm in there.

I'm going to adjust the carb tomorrow night myself. I didn't want to get into a situation where husky wouldn't warranty the saw if there was a problem. However seeing as the warranty is useless at this dealer I think I'll go ahead and muffler mod it while I'm in there.

Do you have any other local dealers to work with?

Do you have any other local dealers to work with?

There are several 1-1.5 hours away. Bishops outside of topeka seems well recommended but a 3 hour drive round trip and 2 trips is a lot of money in gas. This was the only dealer that carried the 550xp in the area when I bought it. My intention is start an email conversation with the store manager. Email is great because you end up with written proof of what is said. If I don't get satisfaction I'll leave negative reviews wherever possible. I'll also send any false information pertaining to the saw given by the dealer to husqvarna corporate(not sure how much good it will do).

Back