What is the acceptable warm up time of a 550xp?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovemysan

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I bought a 550xp in november. It has 15-20 tanks through it, stihl ultra oil and never any ethanol. Not my first saw but I've used a 51, 55, 345, and 455 before. I followed the owners manual to the letter. It takes too long to warm up. On a 25f day I purge then pull it on choke till it pops, switch to fast idle pull it then it dies, back to choke and pull till it pops, switch to fast idle generally it will start and idle. Slowly it will clear and the revs will build. I set it down and put on my gear while it warms. 2 minutes later I can pick it up and begin to work it will still stumble on throttle tip in. It takes 1-2 more minutes of working for it to clear up. Its never been nice to start when its hot it will restart 1 pull. When I stop for anything more than 5 minutes it requires choke. My 345 is a 2 pull machine. I love the power and balance of the 550xp but this hard starting nonsense is getting old. I guess I'm jealous of the youtube videos where a guy can pick of a cold saw and go to work 15 seconds later.

Yes, go do that on the autotune saw. :bang:

Maybe the carb needs a reset? I'm sure others with more knowledge and experience with autotunse will chime in soon.

Actually, you can fatten up the L, which is what it sounds like it needs. There's a small hole in the face of the carb, on the left side. Inside that hole is the L needle. Back it out 1/4 turn. You have to remove the filter adapter to access it. I've seen no documentation to confirm this, but it definately adjusts the carb.

Why not take it back to the dealer? Yours may have a bad carb, I don't know if 550's are in the same boat, but the 555 and 562's have improved carbs that requires a matching coil to go with it. Let them straighten it out so you are covered down the road if more trouble pops up.

1 to 2 minutes is a bit much. Mine was a bit cold collared, but it was still ready to go in ~15 seconds. I'd take it to a good dealer too.

But isnt that AT supposed to sample and make corrections something along the lines of multible times per second, how can this be the case? That saw in theory should run perfect under any conditions provided it's being fed a decent fuel mix. In OP's case it sounds like it's being given the best fuel mix one could hope to fill it with.

Is it just me or is this technology being added to saw carbs in the same class as replacing a German Shepherd and a 12 gauge with door and window sensors being monitored by a security geek halfway across the country?

Last edited:
The AT system reads and adjusts at WOT under load.

Once the saw warms up does it continue to give you problems or do they go away?

But isnt that AT supposed to sample and make corrections something along the lines of multible times per second, how can this be the case? That saw in theory should run perfect under any conditions provided it's being fed a decent fuel mix. In OP's case it sounds like it's being given the best fuel mix one could hope to fill it with.

Is it just me or is this technology being added to saw carbs in the same class as replacing a German Shepherd and a 12 gauge with door and window sensors being monitored by a security geek halfway across the country?

Yes, it has software but it is servicable as well. Thats what a tune up is now with those saws, plug it in, read, adjust there on the screen. Who knows it might take as long to fix it as it took him to register and log on and write something. A couple minutes.

there are many of those owners on here who have not experienced what he did, so..there ya go, his needed dealer tweaking or repair or something. It just aint rocket surgery to pick up on this.

the OP bought a new saw, it started running funny, and instead of taking it back to the dealer for warranty service he gets on here and asks what to do.

this is a *duh* moment

Dont buy new, why spend the extra money, I mean, really, why bother, unless you plan on using the warranty, or got enough information and skills to do it yourself. If someone doesnt want the warranty, fine, thats their call, who cares, but dont complain when you dont use it. Thats really a big part of what you are paying for with something new.

As to your analogy..both situations together defines *defense in depth*. That is the actual term used. Either security solution by themselves is not as good as having both. Add in a nosy neighborh who is always at home staring at the neighborhood and you have an even deeper defense. And so on.

there is no perfect security, in meatspace or cyber space, doesnt exist and never will, nor are there any perfect mechanical devices. Everything can break or need adjustment.

Last edited:
Let me have another go at the analogy in this case, OP has to pack it in and return saw to dealer for quick adjustment under warranty. -Splendid.

Or, OP could just twist a flat blade screwdriver and go on about his tasks he set out to accomplish with non AT tech running his saw. One of these scenarios is a clear winner in the real world of getting some work done.

Let me have another go at the analogy in this case, OP has to pack it in and return saw to dealer for quick adjustment under warranty. -Splendid.

Or, OP could just twist a flat blade screwdriver and go on about his tasks he set out to accomplish with non AT tech running his saw. One of these scenarios is a clear winner in the real world of getting some work done.

Agreed. Screwdriver = 2 minute twist of the hand. Warranty = leave it at the dealer for 2-3 days because they're busy. I believe in warranty work when you blow an automatic trans. But I replace my own wiper blades. Sorry.

My 550 is a PIA to start: usually fires on the first or second pull with the choke, but sputters. Once it gets going until I can blip the throttle without stalling (about 10-15 seconds) I just let it idle for a minute or so, then it's good to go. I might just try t a teeny adjustment and see if she fires easier......

Yes, it has software but it is servicable as well. Thats what a tune up is now with those saws, plug it in, read, adjust there on the screen. Who knows it might take as long to fix it as it took him to register and log on and write something. A couple minutes.

there are many of those owners on here who have not experienced what he did, so..there ya go, his needed dealer tweaking or repair or something. It just aint rocket surgery to pick up on this.

the OP bought a new saw, it started running funny, and instead of taking it back to the dealer for warranty service he gets on here and asks what to do.

this is a *duh* moment

Dont buy new, why spend the extra money, I mean, really, why bother, unless you plan on using the warranty, or got enough information and skills to do it yourself. If someone doesnt want the warranty, fine, thats their call, who cares, but dont complain when you dont use it. Thats really a big part of what you are paying for with something new.

As to your analogy..both situations together defines *defense in depth*. That is the actual term used. Either security solution by themselves is not as good as having both. Add in a nosy neighborh who is always at home staring at the neighborhood and you have an even deeper defense. And so on.

there is no perfect security, in meatspace or cyber space, doesnt exist and never will, nor are there any perfect mechanical devices. Everything can break or need adjustment.

There are no adjustments to make with the software.

Agreed. Screwdriver = 2 minute twist of the hand. Warranty = leave it at the dealer for 2-3 days because they're busy. I believe in warranty work when you blow an automatic trans. But I replace my own wiper blades. Sorry.

One guy has a problem with an AT saw and all of a sudden it's the worst technology in the world? How many problems have been had with non-AT saws? We all know that non-AT saws nowadays are not a simple twist of a flat blade screwdriver. Those days are long gone. We now have limiter caps and splined screws to work with. And at that - should you have to with a new saw AT or not? This isn't helping the OP with his problem.

So, if i understand right the high side is adjusted by autotune, and the low side still has a screw? If thats the case, sounds like all it does need is the low side opened up some....

My 550XP, even substantially modified, runs flawlessly. Had it out the last time in 26* weather and it gave no trouble.

this is a *duh* moment

How about a neighbor hood where all the neighbors have guns,includeing a retired state cop,
an intelligent german shepard that differentiates the sound of who is in her driveway, and a 20
guage (so the wife can handle)....would that be triple deep???:msp_rolleyes:

One guy has a problem with an AT saw and all of a sudden it's the worst technology in the world? How many problems have been had with non-AT saws? We all know that non-AT saws nowadays are not a simple twist of a flat blade screwdriver. Those days are long gone. We now have limiter caps and splined screws to work with. And at that - should you have to with a new saw AT or not? This isn't helping the OP with his problem.

Your are absolutely correct, it doesn't help him at all and he's out that days work or more while the saw goes back. I can have limiters off if needed in a jiffy, tune the saw and get right back to work without wasting all that down time. Splined screws? Who wouldnt have that tool in their saw box if they cut with such a thing?

Non of this extra tech on saws is going to make up for a lost days work. How many days would you have lost over they years if you couldn't have tweaked something simple in the field and kept right on going?

Latest posts

Back