What is the biggest tree you have ever cut dia and height?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huskydave

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
just wondering what your biggest trees look like .My biggest are: diameter around 72" saw used stihl 044 with 32"bar and tallest 60 feet saw used stihl 044 with 20”bar. I was a little nervous but I just took my time and made sure I used wedges and I had a long rope to guide them down where I wanted them to fall. They were tree removal jobs that was about 6 years ago. its exciting to take the big ones down. they were plenty big to me anyhow. If any old timers or experienced guys have any tips for falling the big ones im all ears.

Last edited:
tulip tree, it was just shy of 7 foot diameter up off the root flare. high? dunno, have to guess 75-80 feet. it had been topped in the past.
-Ralph

Largest tree was a baby sequoia only 80 or so years old. It was 9 feet at ground level, about 7 feet dbh. Bottom 24 feet weighed 24000 pounds....Did the butt cut with my modded 3120 pulling a 5 foot bar. Made the cut before that at 24 feet with the 3120 and 42 inch bar. 55 ton crane.

Tallest was a 185 foot fir that was only about 38" on the butt. I dropped a 30 foot top, then a 76 foot section which broke, then the remaining 79 feet, which produced 40 and 38 foot logs, at 2150 board feet. Got another 500 bf out of the broken section.

I haven't dropped anything huge but did a dying white pine down the road a few months ago that was a hair under 2ft diameter (maybe 100ft or so) for a friends mom with my little 08s which began shocking me (and still in pieces because of that :( ) It was supposed to be easy but I missed my mark by about 6inches and it hung on an old branch stub DOH! *hangs head* took an extra 30mins to rectify and about the same to block it up for firewood. Good fun! I am not counting a 1st growth cedar 'stump' that my partner and me did in the late 70's that was easily 12ft diameter, hollow, with a yield of over 3 cords A1 shake blocks, we cut it up like a loaf of bread and packed the blocks out on our shoulders through a marsh on a path from same blocks. Well worth the effort on that one, a very good days work and you should have seen the eyes bug out at the mill in Lake Cowichan (now sadly gone)! On the same stretch of road we did one slightly smaller that was standing and snapped off around 30ft from the ground, 1st and only time I've seen someone cut from inside a tree and it still makes me cringe!

:rockn:

:cheers:

5ft

I've cut a 5ft red oak that was about 100'. I also cut a 7 ft willow but it was a double. 7 ft at the base of the double of course. I got a 5-6 foot white oak comming up on a job soon, I'll get pics of it when I do it.;) :D :rock:

52" White oak, 60-70" Doubles, 100+ foot Red Oaks and Tulip Poplars. All cut with 372 and 395 xp's. Not that big compared to some, but sure was an accomplishment for me. There are very few trees of this size around this area anymore.

This one was about 10' from the wires. Removals are my favorite part of my job, especially Hazard trees.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Biggun's

Once in a while I get to some old growth redwoods (the small ones the old timers left behind) 5 feet or so in diameter a couple hundred feet tall. They are mostly heavy leaners, so I climb them and hang a 3/4 inch cable in it and pull it with the yarder. I use a husky 372 only because thats what my employer supplies for me. The big ones are way more fun!

Not any good with heights.

Biggest I cut down, but couldn't stump, was 72"x49" ground level white Oak. 14 cord of wood off that one.

The biggest I have dropped all me, was a 36" Osage Orange. I'll trade you a 36" Hedge for a 5' Douglass any day!!!

I'm not a logger or pro and so the biggest I've cut so far was a basswood up at the Lake. I'm guesing 28" dbh and maybe 70-75' It had a large and threatening widow maker at the very top. I cut it with the protection of a friend's backhoe boom over my head. I cut it with my 353 which took a while. The thought of bucking it up (and several more just like it that I have to clear this summer) was what led me to buy the 361.

Joe

My largest was a red oak. 66" dbh and around 110 foot tall. Made the backcut with a 460(24") and a Mac 700(28"). Hired a clearing crew to haul it off. Two 40' dump trailer loads( Looking back I should have found away to have milled some stuff out of it)

My biggest was a double base red oak, 49" x 39". I'd guess about 75 feet tall. Cut it with the 372 with a 32" bar. Took a while.

I think I bested myself tonight after work, I dropped a 30" cotton wood, probably 55-60 feet tall.

Took it on with my 460 with 32" b&c, Woodmanpro semi chisel. My face cut was probably a little small, and I bailed on my back cut too early so my hinge was a wee bit off from being straight. All in all, I think it was a decent job in dropping the tree.

I wanted to take pics so bad, but I left the forking camera at home.

The biggest tree I have ever fallen was a virgin yellow poplar tree...The stump was 90 inches across inside the bark.The tree was roughly 200 feet tall.I used a 088 pulling a 48 inch bar...It was near a house,and it hit the ground so hard,it set off the security system in the house...The biggest tree I have ever taken down was a 120 year old water oak...The stump was nine feet across,the canopy was huge,and there were limbs over 28 inches in diameter....A crane was used to remove the limbs and the top,all was cut with a 044 pulling a 28 inch bar..When the trunk was dropped,I used the same 088 pulling a five foot bar..I doubt this tree was 80 feet tall,but the canopy spread completely over two different houses and a garage...It took four days to get this tree just on the ground.

Those are impressive trees you have down south, timberhauler!!!

I love reading about large trees, especially if they are still standing.

not meaning to nitpick, but I believe the current tallest liriodendrons are in the neighborhood of 180 feet. Rumor has it that they were once 220 footers in the SE USA. I'm not sure of the largest or tallest historically documented ones. But I think they rival black cottonwood for the tallest deciduous trees (along with eucalyptus) in the country.

There is a 6 foot dbh tulip poplar here in Seattle that I've pruned. It is only about 110 feet tall. Near it is one that is fast growing and approaching 140 feet tall and 5 feet dbh. They like our climate.

There are some big leaf maple out on farms scattered around the northwest that have trunks over 10 feet dbh. Amazing for a fast growing, poor compartmentalizer, and susceptible to ganoderma, verticillium wilt and hypoxalon.

My biggest (and hairiest) was a 36" maple 70" tall that split into 2 approx 24" ers about 10 ' up. had my plan all ready to go had my escape route ready, cut my wedge, cut the back cut and had to wedge it a little to get her going. picked up my saw (husky 61 w/20" bar BTW) headed down my escape route and happened to look up. one part of the tree went one way and the other was comin right at me!!! EXIT STAGE RIGHT!. That maple was rotten inside which obviously caused my predicament. Oh, I missed my mark also but i had it surrounded. I cleaned out my britches loaded up my saw and equipment and proceeded to drink beer the rest of the afternoon.

Latest posts

Back