What is the biggest tree you have ever cut dia and height?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
68" black oak, My 660 with 36"bar was just long enough to catch the middle cutting from both sides. It was only about 50' tall cause the top was broken off which is why we cut it down. To this day I am mad, I really wanted to take a picture of that stump and logs with a wild thing sitting there as if it had done the work. My 660 would have been pictured in the background for thoes more observent viewers to pick up on. Heavy rain hit as we were finishing up and the opertunity was missed.

cut a whole bunch of 24-36 diameter oak trees, so up to 150 inch diameter. Live oak is such a bear to cut.

the large oaks arn't as much fun as the 30" diameter up pine trees. When they hit the ground and you feel the WHUMP as they hit the ground. :jawdrop:

best one was when we dropped a 36" diameter 100 foot pine on the dozer guy! He only got hit directly by the top 5 feet of the tree. Pucker time for all of us!

prolly not the biggest one that ive cut but one of the bigger ones, around 6' on the stump. went up 7' and cut it off and it was 54" inside the bark
workpics002.jpg

workpics009.jpg

workpics010.jpg

Hmmmm. Not very big. Lodgepole, 7 or 8 inches DBH, 40 to 50 feet tall? Done with McCullogh something and bow bar. More recently, dead maple, 6 inch dbh, used Old Sparkless, the 032 with 28 inch bar. :)

48" diameter cottonwood, we measured it at 106' on the ground. Thats about as big as trees get around here, aside from a freak maple tree here or there.

The coolest thing was bucking it with my 670 and a 28" bar, my saw just mowed through the wood but I couldnt believe the water that was just pouring out along with the chips. Man I wish someone had gotten a pic.

Silver Maple a few years ago. I don't remember the specific DBH but it was over 50 inches. Not very tall though, it was growing in the middle of a hay field, so no competition to make it tall. Brought it down with the 70E, and bucked it up with the 801 which I had just restored.

I am only half responsible for this one but it was a 56" barkless dead cottonwood probably 75-80' tall didnt measure it. I notched it (took about 45 minutes) and when I got 1/3 way into the back cut the tree pinched my saw, I took the motor off the bar and my buddy brought it down while I watched the top to tell everyone which way to run and it came down LOUD and hard and limbs went everywhere!! We rolled these cat loader tire sized chunks onto a car trailer to split later and we didnt but a few on the trailer each trip. Thats a thrill only a tree cutter could appreciate anyone else would think we were nutz haha.

I am only half responsible for this one but it was a 56" barkless dead cottonwood probably 75-80' tall didnt measure it. I notched it (took about 45 minutes) and when I got 1/3 way into the back cut the tree pinched my saw, I took the motor off the bar and my buddy brought it down while I watched the top to tell everyone which way to run and it came down LOUD and hard and limbs went everywhere!! We rolled these cat loader tire sized chunks onto a car trailer to split later and we didnt but a few on the trailer each trip. Thats a thrill only a tree cutter could appreciate anyone else would think we were nutz haha.

y did it take 45 minutes to put a notch in a 56" tree????(regardless of species). i was thinking more like 4-5 minutes tops???

pinch bar, scratch head, take power head off bar, get buddy's saw ready, rethink what you're doing... 45 minutes easy. Been there done that. I used to take 2 bars with me firewood cutting just for that reason... Now I just take 2 saws. :dizzy:

Ian

pinch bar, scratch head, take power head off bar, get buddy's saw ready, rethink what you're doing... 45 minutes easy. Been there done that. I used to take 2 bars with me firewood cutting just for that reason... Now I just take 2 saws. :dizzy:

Ian

in his post it sounded like it took 45 minutes to put the notch in it

Last edited:
y did it take 45 minutes to put a notch in a 56" tree????(regardless of species). i was thinking more like 4-5 minutes tops???

You are probably right I am slow compared to you but give me a break man LOL I was only using a 20" bar not a 36" like you guys probly have we had to work at it!!

I felt like an ant scratching an elephants leg everything was frozen too and we were in hard snow 2 1/2' deep hell I dont have an excuse but it took forever for ME to notch that thing thats a fact! LMAO :)

Ian

Thanks for getting my back man! I am just a rookie compared to most of you guys but I aint skerd to post my experiences its all fun to me even if I cant saw as fast as some! :) LOL

Be Kind!

Be kind to each other. Some of the older, bestest fallers used to take a while to get a valuable big 8 or 9 foot diameter tree on the ground. It is worth it when the tree is high value. Speed is not always a good thing. :cheers:

hey at least we don't have to use the crosscut saws and swing axes all day anymore. Those Loggers were in good shape in the old days.

I cut down a oak tree that was around 42" in diameter, but only 20' tall due to damage by a previous ice storm. I used a McCulloch SP125 with a 36" bar.

Kansas, he didn't mean anything by it... just poking you with a semi-sharp stick is all... :) They issue them to us when we get our 7th green square. I have a jig made up to sharpen mine with my chain grinder.

Ian

Last edited:
My "old loggers" were in the 1980s and used 090s and still took their time to do it right. They weren't getting paid by the hour either. Some used jacks too. The noise was great!:)

Latest posts

Back