What is the biggest tree you have ever cut dia and height?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
all three pics are of the same tree!!!!

I knew that. When I said the last tree I meant the tree that you posted three pics of.

The biggest stump I've ever cut up was a big leaf maple stump that my 42 inch bar barely did not reach half way through. I wish I'd measured it or took a pic.

It was pretty darn spalted and rotten, and after an afternoons cutting the stump and bringing home around 4000 lbs of wood blocks home and about 60hrs trying to find something solid enough to turn, all the final pieces literally fit in a shoebox. Oh well, you win some you lose some.

To address the previous post, by cutting in the notch you can cut a tree more than twice the diameter of the bar length.

Last edited:
NOTCH THE FRONT, BORE IT OUT
calebschainsaw009-1.jpg

NOTCH THE SIDE, BORE IT OUT
calebschainsaw010.jpg

calebschainsaw011.jpg

NOTCH THE OTHER SIDE
calebschainsaw012.jpg

calebschainsaw013.jpg

BORE IT OUT
calebschainsaw014.jpg

WALK OUT THE BACK OF THE TREE
calebschainsaw015.jpg

TIMBER!!!
calebschainsaw016.jpg

ive got a whole bunch of pics in the forestry/logging forum. do a search of sILlogger and it will show all of the threads that i started and it will so all of them if u guys wanna look at them

btw: the reason i used the 24" was because it was what i had at the time, i didn't have my 36" yet. so i had to use the tools at hand.

Last edited:
Once in a while I get to some old growth redwoods (the small ones the old timers left behind) 5 feet or so in diameter a couple hundred feet tall. They are mostly heavy leaners, so I climb them and hang a 3/4 inch cable in it and pull it with the yarder. I use a husky 372 only because thats what my employer supplies for me. The big ones are way more fun!

:rock: :rock: :rock:

Yeah they are,,,, :ices_rofl: I think the taller ones,,, that you can free fall the entire spar are the most exciting,,, especially if its on a hill side and you can send it down hill just a bit,,, they get that bow/flex as they fall and the earth shakes and the dust flies up,,, Kaa Thuddd!!!!

Last edited:
Yep. Thats how we do it over here too sILlogger, although I go straight down with the side notches if possible, but they normally aren't required. just bore in at the scarf (what we call your felling notch at the front) and use the saw in an arc. Then just do your normal quarter cuts on the back cut.

We call this felling technique "face boring"

my biggest tree so far

this is the biggest one i have cut so far. i am pretty sure it is a very old maple. it has been dead for as long as i can remember seeing it.
lots of good wood in this thing.
It measured 111" in circumference.
size comparison courtesy of my g/f

A willow tree right next to a house less than 10 feet away.
Base was about 30 inches across , showed no preference for falling. A mistake would have destroyed the home. Made my cuts, put in the pry bar and was actually surprised with the lack of effort I needed to use to make it fall, went perfect .. thankfully. This tree really had me nervous.

a tree like this (oak) you would have to bore the heart out of it to keep it from exploding. its too big and leaning to hard to notch cut it because u couldn't cut it fast enough before it would start to fall=trouble. so u have to have it all the way cut out before you turn it lood. the idea is to cut notches out of the tree so u can stick the saw inside to bore out the heart of the tree, thus being able to cut a bigger tree with a smaller bar. your gaining inches!!!

I did not fell this tree but did cut it up and clean up the aftermath. It was a pinoak that was nearly 300 years old and about 8.5 feet wide we measured it in circumference and it was 16foot 3 inches around. I used my husky 359 with a 28 inch bar and it took a long time to cut the big part of the tree. It took me roughly 16 shortbed truckloads to get all of the tree out of my moms yard.

My largest "saw log" anyway, was a 46" Doug Fir dbh with three 36 foot long longs and a twenty foot short plus the top. My guess would be around 153 feet tall considering a 22- 25 foot top past the short log with no log in it. Very nice tree indeed. Last week I cut a large quanity of 28-36 inch Dougs that were far nicer, some taller, and all total slick gunbarells.

The two biggest I've ever cut were just a couple weeks ago while I was in Florida on vacation. Yes, I consider dropping tress vacation material:rock: . Both were dropped with the 045AV Super w/36" bar that I just rebuilt. The first was a Pine about 95' tall and 36" DBH. It was dead due to hurricane and drought damage.
176236001-M.jpg

176063479-M.jpg

Here's what became of the stump. First time I ever tried anything like this.
176063525-M.jpg

A few days later I dropped this HUGE old Oak that has obviously been dead for years. It measured 191" in circumference. In one direction it was just shy of 6' in diameter. A little under 5' in the other direction.
177968542-M.jpg

We were after this juge burl in the side of the tree. This chunk alone probably weighed 400-500 lbs.
177968559-M.jpg

The two biggest I've ever cut were just a couple weeks ago while I was in Florida on vacation. Yes, I consider dropping tress vacation material:rock: . Both were dropped with the 045AV Super w/36" bar that I just rebuilt. The first was a Pine about 95' tall and 36" DBH. It was dead due to hurricane and drought damage.
176236001-M.jpg

176063479-M.jpg

Here's what became of the stump. First time I ever tried anything like this.
176063525-M.jpg

A few days later I dropped this HUGE old Oak that has obviously been dead for years. It measured 191" in circumference. In one direction it was just shy of 6' in diameter. A little under 5' in the other direction.
177968542-M.jpg

We were after this juge burl in the side of the tree. This chunk alone probably weighed 400-500 lbs.
177968559-M.jpg

My guess is that the piece in the last pic is not really what I would call a burl. (Some would call it a burr, but that I don't really like that word).

From the look of it, it is simply convoluted and folded grain which is pretty common, as opposed to a real burl which is a growth from a single point in the tree and involves "eyes." The "eyes" and the growth pattern of a true burls is what makes the magic.

I could be wrong, though.

biggest tree....

I have dropped a lot of pretty good sized dead oak and red elm, but by far the biggest and worst was a 6 foot plus willow in my front yard. Susan kept after me to get rid of it as it was dying and the top and other limbs were falling and she thought it was dangerous. She was right of course, but it was still a beautiful tree.

I cut it up about 4 feet high and dropped it right on top of a stick that I had put in the ground. She was worried that I would hit the house or the stone fireplace, or her garden. It was some skill and some luck. I will let you decide the proportions of each. I then sectioned blocks from the remaining stump until I got it to ground level. I did this with a 55cc craftsman and an 18 inch poulan. I had the chains sharpened enough that the guy who ran the saw shop retired at the end of the year. By far the worst wood I ever cut, it was just full of sand. It was like cutting through sandpaper in a huge tight roll. It was such crappy wood that we just hauled it to the city dump and burned it. JR

In the next few weeks I am going to bump the largest tree I've fallen up to about 30-36". A co-worker of mine has a Chestnut Oak about that size that needs to come down. Luckily it doesn't have a bushy top and one large fork broke out years ago so that puts a lot of the weight in the direction it needs to go.. It should be pretty straight forward other than it being twice as large as anything I've tackled before. Lots of firewood there.

Ian

Latest posts

Back