What is the biggest tree you have ever cut dia and height?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those are impressive trees you have down south, timberhauler!!!

I love reading about large trees, especially if they are still standing.

not meaning to nitpick, but I believe the current tallest liriodendrons are in the neighborhood of 180 feet. Rumor has it that they were once 220 footers in the SE USA. I'm not sure of the largest or tallest historically documented ones. But I think they rival black cottonwood for the tallest deciduous trees (along with eucalyptus) in the country.

There is a 6 foot dbh tulip poplar here in Seattle that I've pruned. It is only about 110 feet tall. Near it is one that is fast growing and approaching 140 feet tall and 5 feet dbh. They like our climate.

There are some big leaf maple out on farms scattered around the northwest that have trunks over 10 feet dbh. Amazing for a fast growing, poor compartmentalizer, and susceptible to ganoderma, verticillium wilt and hypoxalon.

The sceintific names are over my head...I'm no certified arborist,but I do have one that works for me....The big poplar was taken out of a small patch of virgin woods very near Greenville,SC.....All in all,there were about 200 of them taken out,and several were left standing....Every now and then I still get called in to either prune one of those trees,or to take out one that is dying...Sadly,they all seem to be on their way out...I'm not sure the technical name for water oaks,but they get really big,really fast..Most do not grow very tall,they have HUGE canopies..The one mentioned above was taken up in Asheville,NC..It was between two houses and over a garage..The two homeowner's wanted the tree out because the root system was causing damage to their basements and pushing up their driveways...I didn't think it was fair...The tree was there first,and they choose to build under it...We measured the big poplar I spoke of with a measureing wheel.I said roughly 200,but the clicker said 197..There were several more taken down the same day as big in diameter,but no where near as tall...I had to blow tops out of a few of them so they would clear a powerline.Using a tauntline hitch and doubling my rope coming down from where I topped a couple of them,I ran out of rope before I hit the ground and had to spike down..150ft. rope.These were phenominal trees for this area..I have one in another part of town to take out sometime in the near future that is five feet in diameter and we're guessing around 175 feet tall..It will have to be a very precise drop between two houses.There is no way to get a crane in to remove the rotting top...I'm really looking forward to this one.

I also need to add that in there are some remote places in the NC mountains that hole some of the biggest hardwoods I've ever seen.Mostly red oak and white oak..I also once cleared a stand of white pines up there..They averaged around 50 inches,and very close to 100 feet tall...These were taken out from underneath some of the bigger ones that are still standing....There are much bigger trees down here than we get credit for sometimes.

The biggest wood be a cottonwood about 6 ft Dia that was dying and rotten in the middle. one of the branches had fallen off in a windstorm and landed on the grain bin totaling it out. the branch was over 2' dia. That was back when I was a little younger.:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

30" dbh red elm, 50' tall, dead, no bark, just as I was finishing the back cut a 5"x6' dead limb fell right next to me, would've hurt for sure. It was my first season cutting, first tree, first everything, BUT had my hardhat on. Was using my spankin new 360 w/24" b/c.

the biggest i have cut was around 65-66" at the cut, and have cut several of them. biggest i have seen cut was 6 1/2'(78"). burn about a tank of saw gas getting one of them down!! tallest that i have cut would prolly be either a sycamore or poplar that were around 120', all of which are large trees for here in Illinois. sure do have a hankering to go somewhere and get into something bigger!!!

mmmmmmmmmmmm, big trees. Love 'em.

I've cut a one or 2 decent trees. Mainly use bore and release for felling big 'uns. Keeps your hingewood not too big and when you release, over she goes. Saves trying to chase them off the stump as they are going over.

:blob2: :blob2:

This old girl had to go!!!!

Those are impressive trees you have down south, timberhauler!!!

I love reading about large trees, especially if they are still standing.

not meaning to nitpick, but I believe the current tallest liriodendrons are in the neighborhood of 180 feet. Rumor has it that they were once 220 footers in the SE USA. I'm not sure of the largest or tallest historically documented ones. But I think they rival black cottonwood for the tallest deciduous trees (along with eucalyptus) in the country.

There is a 6 foot dbh tulip poplar here in Seattle that I've pruned. It is only about 110 feet tall. Near it is one that is fast growing and approaching 140 feet tall and 5 feet dbh. They like our climate.

There are some big leaf maple out on farms scattered around the northwest that have trunks over 10 feet dbh. Amazing for a fast growing, poor compartmentalizer, and susceptible to ganoderma, verticillium wilt and hypoxalon.

I am like you RB in that respect I really Love the big trees an would prefer to see them standing,,,, Here are some pix from a job on a big Water Oak (thats what Daniel called it,,,,) we did a few months after Hurricanes Katrina / Rita thems tha Beotches that kicked our tails in southeast Tx & LA,,,,,Anyway,, this monarch of a tree,,, dbh was 76"[/B] and some the butress flares were in excess of 96"[/B] at a few points,,, the canopy roll taped 160' had some limbs that were 32" and we estimated it a little over 90' tall it was about three blocks from Downtown Breaux Bridge, La.,,, hated to see it go but the property owner could not get insurance for two homes ,, My middle Bro Daniel is a certified Arborist and was contracted to do the Job, the first photo is the crown of the tree on the fly being roped down with a 1"" braided line directly over the house that truck has 70' reach,, the tree is estimated 100+ years old

attachment.php

A chunk out of the middle,,,
attachment.php

note the diameter of the limb on the ground behind the ground man,, it's near waist high

attachment.php

Last edited:
I am like you RB in that respect I really Love the big trees an would prefer to see them standing here are some pix from a jobe we did a few months after Hurricanes Katrina / Rita That kicked our tails in southeast Tx & LA,, this monarch of a tree,,, dbh was 96" and some the butress flares were in excess of 12' at a few points,,, the canopy roll taped 160' had some limbs that were 36" and we estimated it a little over 90' tall it was about three blocks from Downtown Breaux Bridge, La.,,, hated to see it go but the property owner could not get insurance for two homes ,, My middle Bro Daniel is a certified Arborist and was contracted to do the Job, the first photo is the crown of the tree on the fly being roped down with a 1"" braided line directly over the house that truck has 75' reach,, the tree is estimated 100+ years old

attachment.php

A chunk out of the middle,,,
attachment.php

note the height limb on the ground behind the ground man near waist high

attachment.php

Nice one.

I am always very saddened to see the big ones go,especially the very old ones. BUt I sure would like to get the bottom 9 ft of that last tree for my own. It would keep me off the streets for a while.

Biggest tree I've cut up was 72 inches dbh as measured. Not to be a pooper, in my experience most folks (even pros) estimate high unless they actually put a tape to the tree.

Last edited:
This big red oak is the largest by far.A tad over 4 feet at the level it was cut,107 feet tall as measured with a laser range finder.The top 50 feet was "jumped out" using an Oliver crawler for power .

Several thousand feet of very good saw logs and several cords of firewood.The tree was damaged beyond repair by the side winds of a tornado and presented a safey hazard.

The plumpest one was soft maple,at 54" diameter .

Nice one.

I am always very saddened to see the big ones go,especially the very old ones. BUt I sure would like to get the bottom 9 ft of that last tree for my own. It would keep me off the streets for a while.

Biggest tree I've cut up was 72 inches dbh as measured. Not to be a pooper, in my experience most folks (even pros) estimate high unless they actually put a tape to the tree.

I apologize but my bro staightened me out the tree wasnt quite that big I have corrected the dimensions a tad.... Its still the biggest I've ever seen!!!! :monkey: :monkey: yeah and I am only a semi pro,,, semi saw tech my bros are the pros!!! LOL!!!!

Last edited:
I didn't take this tree down but one of my saws did.This fat old white oak fell on a house and never even put a scratch in the roof,hard to believe.The saw is a Mac 125 wearing a 36" bar .My little buddy running it had troubles with his 084 at the time so good old Al came to the rescue.

I went and fell a red oak for a friend of mine in the grading business two weeks ago that was just shy of four and a half feet in dia. and well over 80 feet tall.There was 1800 board feet of lumber in it.I probably could have salvaged a few loads of pulpwood as well,but didn't have the time to fool with it.I've seen an increasing number of red oaks dying in this area.For just a minute it was kinda sad to cut this thing down.

timberhauler....just fyi

"I'm not sure the technical name for water oaks,but they get really big,really fast..Most do not grow very tall,they have HUGE canopies"

could be either willow oak (red) or swamp white oaks (white) in the southeast.

there is one called water oak (red) but i dont see many of those.

there is another thats called cherry bark (red) that is much more prevelant in bottoms.

the willow oak has a leaf very similiar to a black willow.
water oak leaves grow in clusters.
the cherry bark is a sister to southern red but likes wetter feet.

here is a link to more info than you need or want.
http://plants.usda.gov/

"I've seen an increasing number of red oaks dying in this area."

bout 5-6% of the oaks around here are dead or dying. started bout 10 years ago. 10 more and it will be very noticeable.

Yeah, I've taken down some big ones in my day. Let me tell you, the biggest ones were right around 2 feetin diameter. Take that you pansies.

Mark

I'm totally outclassed here, I'll just read now.

6'5" (77") at the stump cut, water (Pin) oak is my largest. cut it with my 660 w/ 24" bar. tallest. prolly 120-130'ish either a cottonwood or poplar

calebschainsaw046.jpg

Last edited:
6'5" (77") at the stump cut, water (Pin) oak is my largest. cut it with my 660 w/ 24" bar. tallest. prolly 120-130'ish either a cottonwood or poplar

calebschainsaw046.jpg

Pardon my ignorance sILloger... but how do you take a 77" tree with a 24" bar?

Craig

Latest posts

Back