What is the biggest tree you have ever cut dia and height?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not very big at all a 26 inch pine with a 20 inch bar on a 038mag.The big trees still scare me.I leave them for my pro friends!

nah...not poking fun...nothing wrong with taking your time, doing it right and being xtra careful. especially if you don't do it very often

but here is an oak tree that was 6'5" acroos the stump at the widest point..averaged around 6'1"-6'2". that i cut with a 660 w/24" bar.
ahhh...darn!!
i just realized that i already posted these pics

Last edited:
i took down a 33" diameter-60' tall Honey Locust for my mother last winter with my 026 Pro with a 16" bar. It was my only saw at the time.

How about funniest: I cut about a 30"-36" poplar about 20 years ago in the city.Slightly leaned towards the next house.Do not recall height.Well anyway I wanted it to fall towards the woods for easier cleanup.Did a 90 degree pull off of a tree to my Jeep J20 pickup.Being lazy I only used a step ladder to wrap the cable with.Really needed a 24' ext ladder.When the tree started to go I got in the truck and pulled.Unfortunately it pulled my truck.So as not to lose or wreck my truck,I had to let the tree pull me backwards.Luckily neighbors house was not in the way !!!!!!!! Wish I had a video of it....

How about funniest: I cut about a 30"-36" poplar about 20 years ago in the city.Slightly leaned towards the next house.Do not recall height.Well anyway I wanted it to fall towards the woods for easier cleanup.Did a 90 degree pull off of a tree to my Jeep J20 pickup.Being lazy I only used a step ladder to wrap the cable with.Really needed a 24' ext ladder.When the tree started to go I got in the truck and pulled.Unfortunately it pulled my truck.So as not to lose or wreck my truck,I had to let the tree pull me backwards.Luckily neighbors house was not in the way !!!!!!!! Wish I had a video of it....

I just remembered a time...... when..... I was taking out 2 large dead elms for a neighbor 20-24 inches. They where leaning the wrong way over a fence. The following method worked well in other situations but not well this time although the tree did fall exactly where we wanted. We would use 2 vehicles and a large snatch block. My car the 69chevy was placed in the line of fall with block in the hitch receiver. The cable would then go 90 degrees to a van off some distance. My car was parked with the E brake set. As I was cutting the van would pull away gaining power from the block just as a winch does....however... this was a rather large tree and when it broke free the weight of it snatched that old 69 10' sideways like it was feather light. Moral of this story , don't use a 69 Chevy as an anchor point for felling a large tree Use another stout tree . LOLOLO

Biggun's

Here we get some REALLY old ones. Last fall, I had about a 60 or so inch Hard Maple. Maples here are pretty much the oldest/biggest ones in this area I believe. Biggest meaning dbh. Prolly the biggest one I've ever cut was close to the 6' diameter mark. Height was only about 40' though maybe. The tallest I've cut were pine logs... Ponderosa Pine. I remember cutting alot of those as a kid that were around 70/80', which is big in this area... My great grandfather had planted them, plantation pines, back in the early 1900's and we were harvesting a bunch of them about 15-20 yrs ago... For size of those, prolly as big as 36" or so, not near as big as the big Hard maples. However, the hard maples, I've counted as many as 200+ rings on these old trees. Always makes me feel bad to cut a tree down that old. Just to think of all the things they've seen and been through and still be standing like that. I try to leave them mostly unless they are in rough shape and dying from age or disease...

:popcorn:

Poplars

Those danged things are everywhere and always causing some sort of issue around here eh? You sure it was a poplar??? Baumbagillian is VERY close and is easily confused with Poplar all the time. Only reason I ask, is normally poplars don't live to get that big very often, mostly they are baumbas and are confused. Popple is a good wood, too bad more people don't know enough to appreciate it. It makes VERY good lumber although its very wet...
Splits nice and easy though...

:cheers: eh?

Here we get some REALLY old ones. Last fall, I had about a 60 or so inch Hard Maple. Maples here are pretty much the oldest/biggest ones in this area I believe. Biggest meaning dbh. Prolly the biggest one I've ever cut was close to the 6' diameter mark. Height was only about 40' though maybe. The tallest I've cut were pine logs... Ponderosa Pine. I remember cutting alot of those as a kid that were around 70/80', which is big in this area... My great grandfather had planted them, plantation pines, back in the early 1900's and we were harvesting a bunch of them about 15-20 yrs ago... For size of those, prolly as big as 36" or so, not near as big as the big Hard maples. However, the hard maples, I've counted as many as 200+ rings on these old trees. Always makes me feel bad to cut a tree down that old. Just to think of all the things they've seen and been through and still be standing like that. I try to leave them mostly unless they are in rough shape and dying from age or disease...

:popcorn:

Do all maples tend to sit back when falling them? I had one of the small ones do it. I went to a cutter and mentioned maple, before I said anymore, he said, you gotta watch them cuz they'll set back on you. Then proceeded to tell me the cutting technique which would (and he also mentioned this) be hard to do with small ones, back cut first, drive in wedge, then do undercut.
We have Bigleaf Maple out here.

Kansas, he didn't mean anything by it... just poking you with a semi-sharp stick is all... :) They issue them to us when we get our 7th green square. I have a jig made up to sharpen mine with my chain grinder.

Ian

Thats what I figured but thanks Haywire! I know some people are just plain fast when they work we do this for the fun and to get out in the cold and enjoy the outdoors and play with our saws!

What I didnt say was the tree had me slightly intimidated :censored: and the frozen ground cover didnt allow any real clear escape paths and the wind was a slight factor obviously it nabbed my saw etc it was a big thrill for all of us is all I can say and no one got hurt!!!

Stick point grinder jig now thats an interesting new tool I will have to keep that in mind haha! :)

nah...not poking fun...nothing wrong with taking your time, doing it right and being xtra careful. especially if you don't do it very often

I can take some poking in fun no problem! Well that is true about not doing it often, we rarely see trees that big to cut in fact I wouldnt tackle one for firewood that was way too much work.

We did it for a landowner who was afraid it was going to fall on cattle he planned to graze there and he couldnt park anything close by either branchs were everywhere already.

Then I didnt mention it but that tree had me wondering wth :censored: was I doing haha and I thought it out quite awhile. :)

My personal best

How about a red-oak.It measured 118ft when on the ground and was 83" at the base cut.Dropped with sp125c in 3 cuts(2 for the wedge and 1 to drop it).Took a total of about 15 min to get it on the ground and a two and a half days to clean it up(done all the work by myself).Anythine 3" and up was fire wood.I heated my home and shop for over a year from that i tree.That's my contribution to saving the planet,renewable fuel source.

Roughly a 100ft tall Doug Snag. Measured 51" about knee high on me. Funny thing is, I didn't even use a big saw. My Stihl 039 with a 28". Took a good bit of time and the pig made one hell of a crackle/pop. Gave me wood and wood to heat the house with as well. :givebeer:

At a guess 90" + ....... 3129 w/ 42" bar, and I had to skim the sides and face bore to get the bar through the centre. felt like god stamped his foot when that mother came down, i still dream about that puppy.

Hi. New to this forum and I am actually a Horticultural Consultant with a fair bit of chainsaw/pruning experience mainly limited to Stihl 009/200T saws and wood (almond and citrus) up to about 8" in diameter :( ie: nothing to brag about.
However, the biggest tree I've dropped is a dead Eucalypt (unsure of species) about 40" diameter and around 100 foot tall (Longicorn borers have been having a field day lately in certain species of eucalypt - with the drought the weaker trees are really copping a hiding and dying/dropping affected limbs everywhere). Wished I'd read sILlogger's excellent earlier post and seen his pictures of chopping down big trees with small bars (very helpful for people like me!) as I was only using a 38cc McCulloch 2316AV with a 16" bar (awesome little saw for the price - has done a LOT of work with no dramas at all).
Unfamiliar with the proper "logging" jargon (even though I've cut down a few larger trees and watched AX MEN:greenchainsaw: ) but knocked the centre of the "parallel" cuts out with a sledgehammer (bar couldn't reach in far enough) and finished it off with a chain on a big New Holland tractor as not only did I have to dodge a couple of grain silos but my bar just didn't quite have the reach that I would have liked to finish the tree off (refer to earlier sILlogger comment!). Everything went well although their sheep dog nearly met its maker when she decided to run under the falling tree - it actually hit her down one side and spat her out to safety uninjured.
This alone has made me order a Dolmar 7900 with 24" bar as there are plenty of more large(ish) dead/dying trees that my father-in-law wants knocked over on his farm.
Great forum fellas. Have been reading non stop for weeks :)

Last edited:
30" ash, probably around 50-60ft, used my 660 and a 20" bar. Had me a little nervous when it hit a bigger willow tree about halfway down.:jawdrop:

The biggest tree I have ever cut was a 76" BDH out side the 4" bark western larch. It was only about 100' tall but still 32" diameter. I cut I with my 3120 that was a cutoff saw converted to a chainsaw, It had a 60" cannon roller nose with .404 52aj oregon chain and a 8 tooth .404 sprocket. The tree had so much sap in it that that 3120 could bearly pull the chain around the bar.
I bucked it into 16 footers and got 6 logs. At the butt the tree was so heavy that it took a Serco 260 loader and a 748 John deere swing grapple at each end of the log to load the it into the truck. I made about 500 dollers of the burls that I sawed off the log!!!!!:clap:

Latest posts

Back