What is the fascination all about?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Think about it guys, and gals, with a medium sized saw weighing just a few pounds you can control the destiny of a log weighing thousands of pounds while it stands on the stump. Few things in life can compare to this kind of experience. The sound of a well tuned two-stroke under load is hard to beat, and the dynamic sight of fresh chips being hurled into air is cause for a grin anytime!

My name is John, and I love chainsaws!

To me, this is most of the fascination. Having power over something in a way that really shouldn't be possible. Mainly having power over Mother Nature. This, I think, is why I am also fascinated with heavy equipment also. They do stuff that really shouldn't be possible in a huge way. Same with fast cars/bikes. They just seem to defy physics.

I think you about nailed it, Simon. The fact that they are a tool, they are loud, powerful, easily customizable, and just so totally "manly", we can't resist. Oh, did I say, "useful"....

Mark

For me, the reason for having saws is simple, I like wood heat cause thats what I grew up with and a Heat Pump just don't do it for me.

Saves $75 to $100 a month on the power bill in the winter.
Having a good assortment of saws means more wood in the truck or on the pile.
I've made money with them helping a arborist friend part-time.
What they do to wood is amazing, what they do to a human is scary.
I like a little danger and anything mechanical.
Relieves stress, after I cut wood all day I sleep good.:greenchainsaw:

Think about it guys, and gals, with a medium sized saw weighing just a few pounds you can control the destiny of a log weighing thousands of pounds while it stands on the stump. Few things in life can compare to this kind of experience. The sound of a well tuned two-stroke under load is hard to beat, and the dynamic sight of fresh chips being hurled into air is cause for a grin anytime!

My name is John, and I love chainsaws!

Well said, The sound of a two-stroke!!!!!!!! Man I love that sound...
My dad has old three cylinder and twin cylinder two-stroke Motorcycles and man they sound so nice. Its like a cr500 on the pipe...

He has two Suzuki GT750 and a Suzuki Gt500

I don't know that I have a fascination per se with saws, I like getting out into the woods and doing something. I enjoy looking for a tree, standing dead only thank you, and cutting it up so I can put it on my sled and bring it back for my family. It is relaxing and fulfilling at the same time.

As for the number of saws, I only need two: a big one and a little one. One to limb and one to cut the tree down and buck it up. And if I am going to have these saws, they should at least run as best as I can make them yes? A little here...at little there....and they run soooo much better you know.:)

I like saws because they are so dangerous they require constant respect, or else they will smack you down real fast.

With a finely tuned machine you can take a tree that took nature hundreds of years to make and bring it to the ground in seconds.

Plus they sound cool

I find that I am the most content when I am being productive - whether it's at my job, cutting wood or getting something accomplished around the house.

I have loved tools since I was 3 or 4 years old. Saws fill both of those needs and they can do such amazing things with such apparent ease. If a bigger saw can make the task of woodcutting not only easier but fun as well, heck, why not?

With all this mellow sentimentality and mystical association with a chainsaw, I swear you guys been rolling your own cigarettes! It even makes my cousin think seagulls are song birds!:)

If that were the appeal, wouldn't derailing Trains be the most fun?
I find the constructve aspects of tool use to be fundamental to the enjoyment.

I can tell you've never watched The Addams Family!

-=[ Grant ]=-

O ya

Everything said before, +1!

My name is John, and I love chainsaws.:greenchainsaw:

Now if I could prioritize my time better, and quit buying more saws so rapidly............

I am getting ready to go cut down a good sized elm, and it will require some climbing. I will try to get pics to post..............

What a great way to spend a Saturday afternoon!:) :chainsawguy: :hmm3grin2orange:

If that were the appeal, wouldn't derailing Trains be the most fun?
I find the constructve aspects of tool use to be fundamental to the enjoyment.

Chainsaws are cutting tools, and destructive by nature. They may facilitate construction, but the purpoase of a saw is to sever wood fiber at high speed.

A destruction of the bonds that hold the cellulose together inside the wood. That is what it does, and in that lies the power.

I watched Rainey race, but while at Laguna Seca in about that same period I met Kenny Roberts who was one of my heroes. He could make any bike look good. I feel he raised the bar on the sport for all those that followed.

I met Roberts, but never got to see him race...:cry:

I did get to see Rainey, Lawson, Spencer, Schwantz, KRJrand many others in their prime.

Oh to hear the sound of 500cc two-strokes again...

...woodpeckers peck them...

Sorry I've been too serious for the last while, and just had to giggle at this one.

I've spent 41 years trying to sort out what those noisy little :censored: were doing up there.

As for chainsaws, for me it's a bit of nostalgia, a bit of a power trip, a bit of exercise, and a bit of annoying the neighbors.

You need a psawchiatrist.

I have one available...he has lots of slots open since he took out the restraining order on me

Well said, The sound of a two-stroke!!!!!!!! Man I love that sound...
My dad has old three cylinder and twin cylinder two-stroke Motorcycles and man they sound so nice. Its like a cr500 on the pipe...

He has two Suzuki GT750 and a Suzuki Gt500

Isnt it a GT550? I had one years ago, first "real" motorcycle. Something was wrong with mine, at WFO it smoked like crazy and if you had a white shirt on it would be full of oil specks after a top speed run. Never did figure it out, it was before I got into fixing stuff.

I think what got me started on 2-stroke motors was the COX 049 model airplane my Dad got me fro Christmas one year. Nitro/caster oil.... What a smell!

I graduated to chainsaws when I was 16 and never looked back.

jerry-

I'm attracted to chainsaw's because I make a living with them. I have a lot of them so we don't loose time waiting on a repair.......Sound's logical to me.
Why I'm attracted to hotsaw's & bike saw's........Well my wife say's it's because I'm a sick, sick man.:laugh:

Andy

Some on this site probably were saw nuts (builders, collectors, etc.) before they came to this site. But I think a lot of people here "were" one-saw owners who happened upon this site with green-horn saw questions. These soon got caught up in the hoopla, acquired the so-called CAD and started buying saws like crazy. One day they'll step away from this site for a day or two and look at all their saws and have a "What in the name of Jed Clampett was I thinking????" moment.

Until then, they'll keep buying saws...just to say they bought a saw. I wonder how much business Arboristsite creates...gotta be a lot.

Latest posts

Back