What puller to get oil pump drive gear off of a Solo 694/Dolmar 9010?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoosier

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Mine is seized on the crankshaft and I need to pull it to get the crank seal changed out. I dont want to pry against the cases and do real damage.

I did try heat from a pencil torch with no luck.

Is there a "Special tool" and what would it look like? All of my pullers are oversized for this task.

I've used a bearing separator clamp and threaded rod out to a regular damper puller.

You still have to use a little heat on it. A hot air gun might be better than flame?

I've used a bearing separator clamp and threaded rod out to a regular damper puller.

You still have to use a little heat on it. A hot air gun might be better than flame?

Thanks.

I haven't seen a bearing puller that small. I almost need to find a long version of a battery terminal puller because it's tight in there.

This is starting to push jobs back...=$$

I happen to come across a couple smaller ones some years ago at the auto parts. I wasn't looking for a gear puller but happen to see this smallest one. I had to pay what I thought was too much for it but have used it a lot on small engines.

I have one slightly larger that was on the counter at the bearing store and this is the one I use the most on model airplane engines some of which are actually chainsaw engines.

Last edited:
Use a plumbing nut, a fender washer and a two jaw puller. Just warm things up before you start.

I totally dont get that plumbing nut reference?? I had to buy a small two jaw and grind the teeth down and I am still having trouble getting behind it.

Well, unless a special tool exists that I can buy to get this helical gear off the crank this motor is junk..parts at best.

I am going to need to spend $900 on a new head to get this machine back in service.

Now I need to find out what power head can fit on this Alpine Magnum with the least amount of mods that still has parts availability in the USA. Unfortunately it will cost me $450 to adapt the Alpine to switch from SOLO to Stihl for a TS760 or the like. I guess the bar mounts and offset are different.

Last edited:
I dont understand Your Issue....... Yes there is A SPECIAL TOOL that a Dolmar Dealer Should have in his took set that removes the gear from the crankshaft. But then again You bought it with a SOLO Version and I dont know what tools they have available to Their Dealers. But Dolmar had 2 versions of that puller depending on model of saw and which pump it had. The Dolmars that used that tool were 112-120,120s,116si,120si,123-143 and 9000/9010. Just go visit Your Dolmar dealer ask him nice if they could remove the gear. If you have it stripped to that point it will take less than a minute to remove. Also the same tool resets it at the proper depth for proper gear alignment to your oil pump.

Scott

I dont understand Your Issue....... Yes there is A SPECIAL TOOL that a Dolmar Dealer Should have in his took set that removes the gear from the crankshaft. But then again You bought it with a SOLO Version and I dont know what tools they have available to Their Dealers. But Dolmar had 2 versions of that puller depending on model of saw and which pump it had. The Dolmars that used that tool were 112-120,120s,116si,120si,123-143 and 9000/9010. Just go visit Your Dolmar dealer ask him nice if they could remove the gear. If you have it stripped to that point it will take less than a minute to remove. Also the same tool resets it at the proper depth for proper gear alignment to your oil pump.

Scott

Thanks Scott, unfortunately I have no Dolmar/solo dealers anywhere near me. I would order the tool if I could find a part number. I am thinking it must be like a pinion gear puller for an older HD motor but smaller....looks a bit like a O2 sensor socket with a threaded top and a notched end to fit behind the gear? I would order one if I could find one for it.

I guess I will try to make one Thursday, the teeth broke off of my puller today, this bronze/bras gear has really seized itself on the crank.

Last edited:
I totally dont get that plumbing nut reference?? I had to buy a small two jaw and grind the teeth down and I am still having trouble getting behind it.

I tried to post some pictures to explain the process and was unable.

If you want to send me an email address through a private message, I will send you the pics and explain how to use the tool I made to remove the worm gear.

Latest posts

Back