what saw to buy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haydensdad

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hey guys, i am looking to buy a new saw in the 35cc range.i currently own a makita 510 and an older craftsman 42cc that with be replaced with the new saw.i was looking at the echo cs370 and the makita dcs34. the makita seens to be a bit lighter and about the same price but cant seem to find any reviews on it. what are your thoughts and are there any other saws i should be looking at? maybe a stihl?.this saw will not be used on an everyday basis but i want somthing thats gonna be there when i need it. thanks a bunch

dustin

I'm just an average homeowner and don't have any experience with Pro-class saws, so couch my opinion based on that.

I own an Echo CS-370, and it is an excellent saw for my needs. It always works when I need it, and has never let me down. It has reasonably good vibration control, and is just a competent saw all around. The only modification from stock that I have made on mine is to remove the limiter caps on the carburetor to allow a wider range of adjustment. I've also never owned a new saw. All have been bought from craigslist, ebay, etc.

I've owned / traded several saws over the years, but the Echo is my favorite of the ones I've owned personally. Other saws I currently own or have previously owned:
Homelite Super 2
Ryobi 10532
Craftsman 42cc
Poulan Pro 220LE 38cc
McCulloch Pro Mac 850

Husqvarna 435/440

I have the 435, and I have been very satisfied with it! Only problem has been the starter pulley broke, but warranty covered that issue! And then you need the carb adjusting tool!

Stihl 025

Great little saw. Some more cc's then you have described so I can understand if it is out of your range of saws. All I can say is it is easy to repair and fairly durable for a "mid range" saw.

-K5

Get yourself a Echo CS400 off Ebay for around $200 new, one of the best buys out there. Take the caps off, modd the muff and you'll find yourself using it a lot. It's a full 2# lighter than the lightest 50cc saw (13# even ready to cut with a 16" b@c ) runs and starts great. Steve

Last edited:
Husqvarna 435

It sneaks around as a 41cc saw dressed in 35cc garb. Wears a nice .325 chain instead of the 3/8LP. It weighs a hair over 9 pounds. And it's under $300. Easy choice :msp_thumbup:

Husqvarna 435

It sneaks around as a 41cc saw dressed in 35cc garb. Wears a nice .325 chain instead of the 3/8LP. It weighs a hair over 9 pounds. And it's under $300. Easy choice :msp_thumbup:

You'll find the Echo CS400 is built quite a bit better, cuts faster and cost less off Ebay. The 435 might have it beat by a bit on wieght but I'd have to see one ready to cut on a good scale. That 3/8 LP makes 40cc saw cut. Steve

well i had a call today at work where a tree was down on the h.v. lines at a 1300 site campground we do alot of work at so i got to run my dcs510 a good bit. it was acctualy 3 trees and i ran it for abt 3 or 4 hours.i found that on the ground i really dont think i wana use a smaller saw.so i am really thinking maybe i should consider a top handle saw for when i am working from our bucket truck. like i said befor i am and electrician not a tree guy so it wont be used everyday.should i consider this? will it be alot better than a small rear handle saw when i am in the bucket? i know our home depo sell the echo cs330t for 250 and local echo dealer sells the 340t and says thats the only one he will sell.that goes for abt 315. what do u guys think abt my situation? thanks

Back