Which Husqvarna??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nope didnt scare me off just sittin back staying quiet and learning but so far the 357 sounds like the saw to have but ill still buy the 455 just cause its cheap but the 372 kinda caught my attention is it worth the extra bucks?

There is a 372 on the trading post. If my wife liked saws as much as I do, my check would be in the mail.

i think theres about 1.5lbs between the 346 and 357. probly barely noticable, id go with the 357 or its twin brother the 359 as an around firewood saw.

id also possibly consider a 361 if i hadnt come to this site now i like being one of the few with 359 very good saw, i run 20 and 24" bar on mine very good one saw plan

455 r

If you are seriously thinking about using this saw to make any money, take it from my experience and get a pro saw. I used 455 to cut about 25 cord the other year. The saw is a turd-heavy and under powered. If you have any mechanical experience get the 359 and mod it-otherwise go with the 357. Stay away from the Stihl 361 I don't like the intellicarb crap, besides husky has better air filtration.

nope didnt scare me off just sittin back staying quiet and learning but so far the 357 sounds like the saw to have but ill still buy the 455 just cause its cheap but the 372 kinda caught my attention is it worth the extra bucks?

Get the 372XPW or go look at the new 576XP. If you want to know more about the 576, shoot Bookerdog a PM. He is a member on here. He has some videos of his 576 posted on the site.

If you dont care about the price go with a 361 stihl. (with a 20" bar around here they are 619.95. However, imo, for the money you cant go wrong with a 455 rancher. they are on sale around here at the local farm store for 375.99 with a hard case. For the money it is a great saw imo. Is it the best no, lightest no, longest lasting no. For the money its a good deal.

okay...

If you dont care about the price go with a 361 stihl. (with a 20" bar around here they are 619.95. However, imo, for the money you cant go wrong with a 455 rancher. they are on sale around here at the local farm store for 375.99 with a hard case. For the money it is a great saw imo. Is it the best no, lightest no, longest lasting no. For the money its a good deal.

Actually... if we are talking price I'd get a Makita 6401 from Fleabay for around $300 Better saw than the 361 and 455R IMO and you can upgrade to a 73cc or 79cc just by swapping top ends. If you are going to spend any extra money get a 372 xp my local dealer has them for $619. Like I said in my earlier post stay away from stihl-parts are way expensive. You have to go through their good ol boy dealer network for any info, parts or service.

Get a 372xp, and after you get that paid off with firewood sales get the 346, pay that off and get the 357. A 372 will make more money faster than the other two, especially with a 16'' bar and 8 pin sprocket.

I'm also a very busy firewood fanatic. If your cutting wood to make money then time IS money. If you want to screw around cleaning filters when you could be cutting and being productive then buy a Stihl. Good saws but poor breather systems. The Husky will run all day long without even having to check on the breather. Very good filtration systems.

I had a MS260 that was a booger to start but otherwise pretty reliable. Then I bought a NE346XP Husky. Flat out a better saw. So I traded the 260 in for a 372XP as a bigger bucking and felling saw. Bottom line is that this is a GREAT two saw plan. There's nothing I can't handle now. 29 cord so far this spring, and counting!!!

I vote for 372 also and am getting a second one soon before I can't. Love it in firewood. Only thing I'm worried about is before this thread's over we'll have you talked into a piped alky 3120 to trim the hedge with!

Actually... if we are talking price I'd get a Makita 6401 from Fleabay for around $300 Better saw than the 361 and 455R IMO and you can upgrade to a 73cc or 79cc just by swapping top ends. If you are going to spend any extra money get a 372 xp my local dealer has them for $619. Like I said in my earlier post stay away from stihl-parts are way expensive. You have to go through their good ol boy dealer network for any info, parts or service.

Your dealer has a great price on that 372!:rock: Stihl parts are no more expensive than other brands, I've bought husky parts and they are just as high. And that good ole dealer network is why Stihl has been #1. Why has husky and Dolmar gone to dealer only? Besides, anyone here can get help if they ask.

357xp

well i was thinkin maybe the 346 xp or 455R i dont really care how much money i spend but i will be using it about every day and shouldnt need more then a 18 to 20 inch bar, or as far as stihl goes i was thinkin about the 36 pro. up around here alota of people call for fire wood so we are working pretty steadily throughout the day and week

If a 18 or 20" bar is all you need than go for the 357 runs an 18" no problem in hardwood. And light so it wont break your back if running it all day. A 372 is an awsome saw, but why deal with the extra weight if you dont need the extra power.

Get a 372xp, and after you get that paid off with firewood sales get the 346, pay that off and get the 357. A 372 will make more money faster than the other two, especially with a 16'' bar and 8 pin sprocket.

Or get a 357 and if you find it not adequate than bump up to the 372 and still have an awsome saw (357) for back-up.IMO

TS:cheers:

well a 372 would be nice but im sure im not going to be cutting and thing to big the 346 sounds good but then again the extra power would be nice. my dad has a modified 360 and it cuts the same as a 440 but uses less gas i was thinkin of somethin maybe like that with the 346 or 357...any thoughts on that

what kinda/how big wood are you cutting?

i wouldn't go any smaller than a 346xp (50cc class),
but you may want a bigger saw. maybe even (gasp)
two saws, a 50cc and a 70cc.

what kinda/how big wood are you cutting?

i wouldn't go any smaller than a 346xp (50cc class),
but you may want a bigger saw. maybe even (gasp)
two saws, a 50cc and a 70cc.

Get a 372xpw or a Univent and be done with it. I own a stock 372xp and a Univent(372xpw thats factory modded). They are both fantastic saw and lighting fast! I was using my rancher as a limbing saw till I got a Husky 336. The rancher has become a idiot-father-in-law who to stupid to own a real saw loner. I still like it, but Ive seen the light. And I will own from now on buy and use pro-grade saws. Its hard to use it when Ive two 372's! Hell, I might just put a 18" bar on the 372xp and use it as a limbing saw! I keep a 28" on the Univent and the blance is great! :givebeer:

well a 372 would be nice but im sure im not going to be cutting and thing to big the 346 sounds good but then again the extra power would be nice. my dad has a modified 360 and it cuts the same as a 440 but uses less gas i was thinkin of somethin maybe like that with the 346 or 357...any thoughts on that

I find my 2156 (357) quite comparible to my 2165 (365) but the 2156 is lighter and faster but with a little less torque. In bigger wood where you would require a 24" bar the 372 would surely be my saw of choice, but anything that could be handled with an 18" bar go for the 357 with 3/8 full chisel chain it RIPS

Last edited:
I'm also a very busy firewood fanatic. If your cutting wood to make money then time IS money. If you want to screw around cleaning filters when you could be cutting and being productive then buy a Stihl. Good saws but poor breather systems. The Husky will run all day long without even having to check on the breather. Very good filtration systems.

I had a MS260 that was a booger to start but otherwise pretty reliable. Then I bought a NE346XP Husky. Flat out a better saw. So I traded the 260 in for a 372XP as a bigger bucking and felling saw. Bottom line is that this is a GREAT two saw plan. There's nothing I can't handle now. 29 cord so far this spring, and counting!!!

I'm running a similar setup. Having two saws or three to run flat out kicks butt. My production has gone up dramatically. Having a bigger saw for felling and cutting big stuff and having a smaller lightning fast 10# saw to cut er up.
I cut and sold over 30 cord last year by myself with no help. I did half that the years I ran one saw.:cheers:

can u even get chisel chains at local dealers

sorry for any confusion, the "full" chisel chain I was refering to would be oregon lpx, lgx, or shihl rs or rsc chain which are non saftey chains. There are many other manufacturers of this non saftey chain as well. I personally run oregon lpx on my saws because that is what my dealer has, but I have read many good things about the rsc chain.

The 357 will handle the 3/8 lpx or rsc chain very well.

Dang, 4 days and still no saw?! I'm a visual guy, maybe you are, too...Let's see if this does anything for you one more time....

Stihl361.jpg

Yep, worked for me!!! I gotta go!!!!

Latest posts

Back