Which is the best pro saw of each brand?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...The saw needs to be pro saw between 50cc and maybe 65 cc weight is a non issue reliability is...
I only ever used Dolmar's, as such I concur to the already mentioned Dolmar PS-6400 and possibly her stronger sibling the PS-7900.

I have also read good things regarding the Dolmar PS-6100!

Members usually bash the PS-6400 for being too heavy for its power! It was my first pro saw and I never regretted purchasing her nor did I ever think she is underpowered. Even now having a PS-7900 too I prefer my PS-6400 - she pulls a 20" bar buried in oak with authority.
Also worth mentioning, built 2001., purchased 2006., till now no issues and has never been torn down (knock on wood!).
She will get her cylinder & piston pulled soon for clean up and replacement of the piston ring which got damaged by carbon build up - but currently she is still being used.

My sugestion goes for Dolmar PS-6400 / PS-6100 / PS-7900! :)

It's a good thing you have never been prone to a "silly and opinionated" statement.

Your saw lineup in your signature surely shows your lack of bias........;)

Yes I have my preference (bias), but you will also note that I do not criticize those who use/choose other brands. All of the companies make good saws, or they would not be in business. And the best saw for one person may not be the best saw for the next person.

I also try not to post clearly inaccurate information, and a lot of it is posted out there.

Yes I have my preference (bias), but you will also note that I do not criticize those who use/choose other brands. All of the companies make good saws, or they would not be in business. And the best saw for one person may not be the best saw for the next person.

I also try not to post clearly inaccurate information, and a lot of it is posted out there.

Very valid points, and many of them I have made myself, too numerous of times here on AS. To the point of ad nauseam.

I do the same type of work your son does.. I fell, limb, and block for our firewood, going as far to use all of the limbwood worth cutting to length..

The first "pro" saw I ever bought was my 357xp. It was to be the big boy of a 2-saw plan where the little guy was an old Husky 35. For a 1 or 2 saw plan it's tough to beat ANY of the better 60cc models offered by ANY of the major brands. So I would agree with others who suggested looking for a nice 357xp... IF you can find one. They have a following and since they are NLA, they don't pop up for sale here or even on ebay very often.. The current equivalent of the now discontinued 357xp would be the Husky 555. Almost identical in power, (at least as advertised in the specs) and as has been mentioned, it is constructed of the same better components of it's "pro grade" sister, the 562xp...just not quite as snotty. The 562 has raised the bar of performance in the 60cc class, at least in Husky's lineup.

I have some time wielding a Dolmar 6400. My father in law has one that I have used a fair bit. Sure, they may be a tad heavier than equivalent models in some other brands. But the quality is definitely there!! I would highly recommend a Dolmar to anyone, great saw at a great price! The 6400's posted earlier for $500 is a terrific deal! The same price doesn't get you near a 60cc saw in a pro Husky, let alone a 65cc. Echo have a great rep as well, but since I have never run one I will not comment for or against.

Bottom line and IMHO, the 3 biggest contenders being Husky, Stihl, and Johnny-Red all offer great saws in the pro 60cc class. There other other brands that offer equally high quality models in that class. The major difference is the first 3 are going to have your highest price tags, for better or for worse. If you have dealers in Husky, Stihl and Dolmar in your area, I would highly recommend visiting each one, handling equivalent models of each brand in the size and quality class of your choosing and making a decision based on your own criteria of fit, comfort and price-point. Just be sure and compare equivalent models between the brands to keep the comparisons fair. They all are great saw makers and deserve to be compared on equal ground for an informed decision.

Good luck and have fun! :)

What is the budget? And I assume new saws?

If there is enough in the budget I would lean towards a 421/6400 combo. One do it all saw and the budget is $700....2260/562. Lots of scenarios depending on the budget.
The OP mentioned that weight is not an issue so he might not need the small 421.

I sometimes look towards my currently non running SD105/40cc but end up being fine doing the task at hand with my PS-6400.
The only thing I sometimes regret is not having a shorter bar for my PS-6400/7900, but I don't intend to invest in one as I am confident I'll revive my SD105 for which I still have spare 14" chains and bars.

What is the list price of a PS-6100 Nate, higher then a PS-6400's?

The OP mentioned that weight is not an issue so he might not need the small 421.

I sometimes look towards my currently non running SD105/40cc but end up being fine doing the task at hand with my PS-6400.
The only thing I sometimes regret is not having a shorter bar for my PS-6400/7900, but I don't intend to invest in one as I am confident I'll revive my SD105 for which I still have spare 14" chains and bars.

What is the list price of a PS-6100 Nate, higher then a PS-6400's?

I have my choice from the jred, Dolmar, echo lines. By a wide margin my favorite saw to run is the 421.

6100= $575
6400=$625??? Can't remember for sure but that is in ballpark

Care to share any specifics to enlighten us???

Okay... On the 90 plus cc front: The 395 weighs within a pound of a 661 and spanks it in the long bar department, and the 390 beats it, or is at least even with it with short bars and weighs less. The 550 makes within a tenth of a horsepower and weighs a pound less than a 261. The 441 is a heavier copy of a 372, and like I said, the 461 is pretty damn good. And... As you all probably know by now, I think 60cc chainsaws are pointless because they weigh so close to 70 but produce much less power.

Edit: As I now think about this... Stihl has another few things on their Swedish competition. First being dealer network. This is critically important to me. It's why one branch of my business runs Husqvarna and the other runs Stihl. The other is bars and chains. Stihl makes much better bars and chain than anything else on the market.

6100= $575
6400=$625??? Can't remember for sure but that is in ballpark
Thank You Nate!

From a Dolmar user point of view the PS-6100 looks really nice, even considering I never seen one real life lest used one!

I have my choice from the jred, Dolmar, echo lines. By a wide margin my favorite saw to run is the 421.
It all depends what You are using Your saws for.

I know I like the handling (weight, size) of my Sachs-Dolmar 105 top handle, which is in about the class range of the Dolmar PS-421.
But, I simply love the umph that the PS-6400/7900 pack.
Till 2006. my SD105 did everything the PS-6400/7900 do now, just slower - it took her some time to chug through the cut of a big firewood log more then twice the size of her bar. ;)
Once back up and running she will re-establish my two-saw plan:
- small and nimble Sachs-Dolmar 105 (40cc)
- big and powerful Dolmar PS-6400/7900 twins
I don't consider my PS-7900 to be a huge third saw! The PS-6400 & PS-7900 are basically equal when setup with a 20" bar - with the 79'er having more unused grunt but also requiring significantly more fuel.
The 36" bar I have for my PS-7900 made three cuts since I got it, averaging out to, or even under, a single digit percentage of usage per year. ;)

A co-worker of mine recently bought a new Dolmar PS-421, I am sure tempted to get my hands on her and take her for a ride. :)

All good suggestions here, not just the Dolmar side.
The OP has a broad choice to pick from. As has been mentioned he should consider dropping in to some dealers and pick up some of the saws to at least check how they feel!
Good luck with Your purchase! :cheers:

Okay... On the 90 plus cc front: The 395 weighs within a pound of a 661 and spanks it in the long bar department, and the 390 beats it, or is at least even with it with short bars and weighs less. The 550 makes within a tenth of a horsepower and weighs a pound less than a 261. The 441 is a heavier copy of a 372, and like I said, the 461 is pretty damn good. And... As you all probably know by now, I think 60cc chainsaws are pointless because they weigh so close to 70 but produce much less power.

Edit: As I now think about this... Stihl has another few things on their Swedish competition. First being dealer network. This is critically important to me. It's why one branch of my business runs Husqvarna and the other runs Stihl. The other is bars and chains. Stihl makes much better bars and chain than anything else on the market.

I used to agree wholeheartedly about the dealer network until I got to know some of the guys on here. In my area Husqvarna is a nobody (I actually work for the only Husqvarna dealer for miles, and they don't really push the product as they also have Echo and RedMax for handheld and eXmark for wheeled). That being said with guys like Spike60 for Husqvarna and Jonsered, Wicked Work Saws also for Husqvarna and Performance Outdoor Equipment (Nate) for Dolmar I now have no problem buying or running any of those products as I know those guys will take care of me.

As for bars you really need to try out a Total (Tsumura) they are every bit as good if not better than a Stihl ES bar and are usually cheaper as well.

Joe

Stihl makes much better bars and chain than anything else on the market.

You obviously have never used a total(tsumara), sugi, or cannon. All 3 are better bars than Stihl and the total are cheaper, sugi and cannon aren't much more expensive. $66 for a 20" ES bar is ridiculous. Last year they were a decent deal but since the price increase this year I would not bother with one

You obviously have never used a total(tsumara), sugi, or cannon. All 3 are better bars than Stihl and the total are cheaper, sugi and cannon aren't much more expensive. $66 for a 20" ES bar is ridiculous. Last year they were a decent deal but since the price increase this year I would not bother with one

Nope, I haven't. But I also can't walk into a brick and mortar and pick one up. I don't get the opportunity to wait for a week for shipping when I need a bar. I carry backups, but I have had more than one bar get screwed up in a day.

In most cases if I can't go get it and have it shortly it's useless to me. For some of you, that's a non-issue. For me, as a professional user, it matters. Until I can go pick one up a short drive from my local brick and mortar, I'll pay an extra few bucks for less downtime with a still-quality product in a Stihl ES.

Back