Which is the best pro saw of each brand?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well there has been some more activity on here while I was away wow !. A ways back someone asked about budget I have no idea what the real price point will be? He is young and likes nice stuff like all men but he also has a young family and other bills. I would guess what he would like and what he will be able to afford will be two separate things.
Don't spend too much effort here on this I do thank all of you,.. but he may not be able to buy one for a while yet. He just came over to borrow some pledge , says the wife is wanting to clean up the homemade cradle I made them. He says she is " nesting" that's not good supposedly she is not due till thanksgiving week. Last week the doctors estimated the baby's weight at 9.5 pounds right now !!! Man aint I glad I am not a woman ,... tough they are for sure !

Nope, I haven't. But I also can't walk into a brick and mortar and pick one up. I don't get the opportunity to wait for a week for shipping when I need a bar. I carry backups, but I have had more than one bar get screwed up in a day.

In most cases if I can't go get it and have it shortly it's useless to me. For some of you, that's a non-issue. For me, as a professional user, it matters. Until I can go pick one up a short drive from my local brick and mortar, I'll pay an extra few bucks for less downtime with a still-quality product in a Stihl ES.

This is where this forum gives bad advice. You have never ran a total, sugi, or cannon bar but can say that
Stihl makes much better bars and chain than anything else on the market.
which simply isnt true. A true statement would be that they make the best bar you can walk in to a local store and buy but for others they simply drive to the local saw shop and get to look at Total, Cannon, Oregon, Carlton, Stihl bars, sugi bars or some combination of those.

This is where this forum gives bad advice. You have never ran a total, sugi, or cannon bar but can say that which simply isnt true. A true statement would be that they make the best bar you can walk in to a local store and buy but for others they simply drive to the local saw shop and get to look at Total, Cannon, Oregon, Carlton, Stihl bars, sugi bars or some combination of those.

What I want to know is how we define best outside of wear? Is it weight? Balance, that varies from powerhead to powerhead? Price? And whilst we're having this discussion, please tell me why they're better than a Stihl ES?

What I want to know is how we define best outside of wear? Is it weight? Balance, that varies from powerhead to powerhead? Price? And whilst we're having this discussion, please tell me why they're better than a Stihl ES?

How about starting another thread instead of turning this into a 'mine is bigger than yours' debate? Jeff wanted to know peoples thoughts on best pro saw in the 50-65cc range. He didn't ask about Stihl ES bars, 72-90cc Husky vs Stihl saws or any of the other things that will turn these threads into food fights. Nate called you out as you were stating an opinion as a fact, that Stihl chains and bars are the best you can buy, without having even used the competing products you so casually put aside.

Stick to the facts, or at least limit the opinions you express to the ones that are relevant to the question that was asked. If you want to argue about bar and chain brands, start a thread and have at it. Nobody comes here looking for yet another thread degenerating into an off-topic argument.

How about starting another thread instead of turning this into a 'mine is bigger than yours' debate? Jeff wanted to know peoples thoughts on best pro saw in the 50-65cc range. He didn't ask about Stihl ES bars, 72-90cc Husky vs Stihl saws or any of the other things that will turn these threads into food fights. Nate called you out as you were stating an opinion as a fact, that Stihl chains and bars are the best you can buy, without having even used the competing products you so casually put aside.

Stick to the facts, or at least limit the opinions you express to the ones that are relevant to the question that was asked. If you want to argue about bar and chain brands, start a thread and have at it. Nobody comes here looking for yet another thread degenerating into an off-topic argument.
:cheers:

I'd imagine it would be a combination of much of what you have mentioned.

Cost, and good wear characteristics are what is most important to me.

If I can buy a 20" RSN bar for $40 that lasts close to as long as a $66 bar, I'd prefer to put the $26 in my fuel tank, or stomach.

I know the LW and RW bars are pretty popular here, but I honestly can't see investing in one for anything under 28", and even then I wouldn't get a return on my investment unless I was cutting bigger timber for an extended length of time.

For the guys that are Pro Fallers lugging a large powerhead around day in and day out the LW bars make sense.

REPPED! (if there were such a thing)

don't get upset with each other over this it just aint that important.
Best hmmm,.... well best to me is kind of like this. Lets say "I owned stihl for the last 10 years but I tell you what about 2 years ago I bought a 58cc xyz saw and man that is way ahead of my others! It will run all day any day it always starts and has plenty of power to saw up 60' foot rock maple tree into 16" rounds every day of the week. If I was air dropped into the Alaskan wild with one saw for the rest of my life it would be...." That's kind of the feeling he needs to have most likely any 60cc ( +/_ )saw from a major maker will be just fine.

Some interesting stuff here and I'll get yelled at here for my set up but it works good out here as a falling saw is my 562xpw with a 32" bar.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

They're a little less known and hard to find new, but an Efco CS62 (Italian) is a mean little 60cc saw and has both hp and torque. They were painted green and sold as John Deeres for awhile. the CS56 is also a pretty good saw. If his budget is limited or he wants 2 saws I go as follows,
For less money:
New (less money)- Efco 62, Echo 620 (more like a 372xp especially once ported) Dolmar 6100 or 6410 and Husky 555.
Used - Husky: 55, 262xp, 61 (can be easily turned into a 262), 555, 359, 357xp or 562xp (or the Jonsered equivalent which is also a small bar mount saw like the Husky 560xp) and Husky 365 (detuned 372xp w/a bit less power), Stihl 034,036/MS360/361/362, the above referenced Dolmars t include the 7300 and 7900, the Efco/John Deer Units or a Poulan 4000 (if you can find a decent example).

New (more money) -
Husky 562xp or Jonsered 2260, Stihl MS362C, Dolmar 7310 or 7910 (Larger than 60cc but the same platform as the 6410 with more power for longer bars).

The only reason I bought the 562 was that it felt better to me than the MS362. Having run a few 361s and 362s now, they're quite powerful and more than adequate for most firewood needs in Hedge, Oak and Locust. They may have a bit more torque than my 562 ( I've never had them side by side) but I still like the balance and feel of my Husky better.

Im going to add that since you said weight isnt really an issue and that it going to be a do everything saw, I personally would look into the 70cc range, if price allows, I would always rather have too much than too little, plus if his woodcutting progresses into something bigger, buying a bigger bar and chain for a 70cc saw is cheaper than having to buy a whole nother saw just to handle bigger wood.

Well there has been some more activity on here while I was away wow !. A ways back someone asked about budget I have no idea what the real price point will be? He is young and likes nice stuff like all men but he also has a young family and other bills. I would guess what he would like and what he will be able to afford will be two separate things.
Don't spend too much effort here on this I do thank all of you,.. but he may not be able to buy one for a while yet. He just came over to borrow some pledge , says the wife is wanting to clean up the homemade cradle I made them. He says she is " nesting" that's not good supposedly she is not due till thanksgiving week. Last week the doctors estimated the baby's weight at 9.5 pounds right now !!! Man aint I glad I am not a woman ,... tough they are for sure !

Just bought two more cs600p's off ebay. Brand new with 24" bars, free shipping for $400 each. Granted, I was lucky to buy @ that price but I don't believe there is another chainsaw on the planet that will cut with a MM'd and tuned 600p in that price range (except maybe a 590). Those deals are out there...just got to watch for them.

Since 70 ccs were just mentioned, I will restate, the 044 is likely the lightest 70 and most powerful (stock) 70 cc saw out there, and there is one on the trading post now, rebuilt, with a KS jug (the best). IMO, hard to beat that, will out cut any of the 60 cc saws (even if they are ported) without any big weight penalty.

It is what I would choose, hands down.

Since 70 ccs were just mentioned, I will restate, the 044 is likely the lightest 70 and most powerful (stock) 70 cc saw out there, and there is one on the trading post now, rebuilt, with a KS jug (the best). IMO, hard to beat that, will out cut any of the 60 cc saws (even if they are ported) without any big weight penalty.

It is what I would choose, hands down.

Agree with everything you're saying. But Wigglesworth was asking $1000 for his (it was beautiful)...not sure what the price is on the one you mentioned.

Well we are only talking about 4 cord a year. When I said drop limb and cut to length firewood I thought that was enough information. "Maybe it sounded like he was going into business selling firewood" if that is the case I apologize but he has a good job which has zero to do with saws or cutting wood.
The saw will be used to supply fire wood for his use that is why I said 50-60cc ? maybe I said 65cc? . In any case I have not had the time to discuss the possibility of a used saw as opposed to new with him. I think the way he talked new would be his choice. I cut about 6-7 cords a year and he may at some point want to help me more? But mainly up to 4 cords of hardwood per year will be the main use.

Back