Which saw, 338xpt or 192t?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Backtroller

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Thinking about retiring my worn out homelite top handle. I'm not a pro and the saw won't be used to make a living. I had been looking for a 200t or 201t used, but the used ones I've found are pretty rough for what I'd like to spend.

Would you either:
1- buy a 338xpt from a friend. It is a 2003 or 2004 model with the original 14" or 16" bar (my buddy does not remember). I've seen the saw but not run it in years. It has very little use. He wants $225.

2- buy a new Stihl 192t for $300. I do have a new 12" bar and 3 new chains laying around.

Again, this saw wouldn't be used much since I have a pole saw and good ground saws, but I want one in the arsenal . I'd love a new 201t but I won't pay $640 for one. I'd like to pay about half that.

Even though im not a fan of Husky top handles but only use their rear handle saws, i love my 192T for smaller jobs where my 200T or 201T is overkill i say get the 338xpt, its a pro saw, has more power, and built better than the 192T.

X2 on the 338xpt. I have a late model 2135t, same as the 338xpt and am happy with it. I have had a 192t, and while a little lighter and slightly better balanced I still perfer my 2135t.

Only way I will replace it is with a T540xp

I don't care for the balance of Husky top handles i prefer Stihl TH. I had a JRed 2139T the same as the 338xpt. and didn't care for it, i also didn't care for the air filter in front but they are good saws.

I love my 192t. For the extra $75 you'd be getting a brand new saw with a warranty. That may be the deciding factor unless your friend will come down in price.

Consider dealer support, parts availability, resale value, may be you can test run them or at least handle them to see if they feel comfortable to you. Make a score card with different catagories and scores in each, add them up and use whats best for you considering what you most value out of the saw.

Pm on its way

I have a few dealers of each within the area. Haven't dealt with the Husky dealers, but I feel that my Stihl dealers make up prices or they make it sound like they are giving me a deal by selling for suggested retail.

Thanks for all of the good points. A lot to think about

Thinking about retiring my worn out homelite top handle. I'm not a pro and the saw won't be used to make a living. I had been looking for a 200t or 201t used, but the used ones I've found are pretty rough for what I'd like to spend.
Would you either:
1- buy a 338xpt from a friend. It is a 2003 or 2004 model with the original 14" or 16" bar (my buddy does not remember). I've seen the saw but not run it in years. It has very little use. He wants $225.
2- buy a new Stihl 192t for $300. I do have a new 12" bar and 3 new chains laying around.
Again, this saw wouldn't be used much since I have a pole saw and good ground saws, but I want one in the arsenal . I'd love a new 201t but I won't pay $640 for one. I'd like to pay about half that.

Big difference between the saws. I own a 338XPT NE and have used a 192T many times. Make sure the 338XPT from your friend is a New edition. Much nicer to use regularly with the side chain tensioner than the older 338XPT. The 338XPT will handle larger limbs, while the 192T is more of a trimming saw in my opinion. I am talking from the point of view of cutting Aussie hardwood though, if you cut mainly softwood maybe the smaller cc 192T would do ok? 192T runs fine stock, but is a weaker saw compared to 338XPT. Really depends on what you expect to be cutting with it. I would only climb with a 192T if i knew 100% i would not need to make more than a few cuts over 5-6" diameter. Any bigger and i would be losing time not having a more gutsy saw in my hands. There is a difference in weight between these 2 saws but not a huge margin when you factor in the power difference. I have had my 338XPT NE since 2011 when it replaced my old 2001 334T as my main climb saw, and it has worked hard in that time and nothing has broke at all.

OP, will you be climbing with it? When i go up a tree i want a saw that will handle with ease all i need it to do. 338XPT for me all the time over a 192T or similar power saw. I do own a T540xp as well and the 338XPT holds up well against it. My 338XPT does have a muff mod and cuts really strong but not as strong as the T540.

Honestly if raw cutting speed and power is not a priority for this saw, get a 192T new from a dealer. The peace of mind of a warranty in my opinion is worth the little extra $ over a 10 year old 338XPT.

338's are a clamshell not exactly what I consider pro design. Not exactly a power house either.

A clamshell is not what anybody would consider a Pro design. However they are well built and with an opened up muffler and tuned right they are a very powerful saw and will out cut a 192T like it just aint funny.

Big difference between the saws. I own a 338XPT NE and have used a 192T many times. Make sure the 338XPT from your friend is a New edition. Much nicer to use regularly with the side chain tensioner than the older 338XPT. The 338XPT will handle larger limbs, while the 192T is more of a trimming saw in my opinion. I am talking from the point of view of cutting Aussie hardwood though, if you cut mainly softwood maybe the smaller cc 192T would do ok? 192T runs fine stock, but is a weaker saw compared to 338XPT. Really depends on what you expect to be cutting with it. I would only climb with a 192T if i knew 100% i would not need to make more than a few cuts over 5-6" diameter. Any bigger and i would be losing time not having a more gutsy saw in my hands. There is a difference in weight between these 2 saws but not a huge margin when you factor in the power difference. I have had my 338XPT NE since 2011 when it replaced my old 2001 334T as my main climb saw, and it has worked hard in that time and nothing has broke at all.

OP, will you be climbing with it? When i go up a tree i want a saw that will handle with ease all i need it to do. 338XPT for me all the time over a 192T or similar power saw. I do own a T540xp as well and the 338XPT holds up well against it. My 338XPT does have a muff mod and cuts really strong but not as strong as the T540.

Honestly if raw cutting speed and power is not a priority for this saw, get a 192T new from a dealer. The peace of mind of a warranty in my opinion is worth the little extra $ over a 10 year old 338XPT.

A clamshell is not what anybody would consider a Pro design. However they are well built and with an opened up muffler and tuned right they are a very powerful saw and will out cut a 192T like it just aint funny.

The 192 isn't a power house either. But the 338 for what it's supposed to be is kind of a let down. Perhaps the OP should try both if he's able to and see what he thinks. I'm not a stihl fan boy but they are on the top of the market in top handles.

The 192 isn't a power house either. But the 338 for what it's supposed to be is kind of a let down. Perhaps the OP should try both if he's able to and see what he thinks. I'm not a stihl fan boy but they are on the top of the market in top handles.

I agree. Try out both saws. However for the small difference in cost i would buy a new 192T and give it a muff mod and be very happy with it. Seeing as the OP already has a 12" bar and some chains for the 192T it would be a shame not to be able to use them.

I have been more than happy with my 338XPT. I use it for a living and cut mainly hardwood and it has never disappointed me for power. I was coming from 10 years of using a 334T as my only top handle, so pretty much anything would have looked good at that point! :ices_rofl:

I would agree with you about stihl being top of the pile in top handles ........... but then i got to use and finally bought a T540XP.

A 192t with a couple of mods is a very serious little tree saw and for me it is actually far nicer to use than a 12" 201t.
I use my 192t with .050 picco for anything up to 10" and it rips

A 192t with a couple of mods is a very serious little tree saw and for me it is actually far nicer to use than a 12" 201t.
I use my 192t with .050 picco for anything up to 10" and it rips
Im hesitant to mess with the timing on mine bug the muffler is opened up.

I'm not going to be earning a living with it. Mainly side jobs and helping out friends and family. Honestly it would be used a few times a season.

That being said, I enjoy modifying engines. My camaro was stock for about a week before I Threw a set of gears in it, heads, cam.....It is a sickness.

What does the muffler mod entail for a 192t? You would have to rich-en the mixture right? Does this saw have a carb that can be adjusted? Also How do you "trim the H limiter?"

Latest posts

Back