Which saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WESCOMAN

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I will be going full time next year in the firewood business and will be cutting about 200 cord my first year. My question is what saw would you use. I need professional quality and they will be STIHL. So far my list is a follows:

1-STIHL 440, 2-STIHL 361 C, 1-MS 260 pro and 1-MS 200.

Would you change any of these? Thanks.

Unless the 440 is modded why not just get a 460? How big of a bar are you planning on pulling max? What is the need for a 200 in doing firewood? I think that 500 could be well spent elsewhere. Also I think the 260 will probably be used a lot less than you are planning. I wold go with the 460, and 361. Save some of the money on saws at first and see how it goes. If the 361 is too heavy/big for most of your work and the 460 is for the big stuff maybe ditch the 361.

Good luck with the business

WESCOMAN,
I have to agree with BostonBull, go with the 460 and the 361. Most of the time I use my 046 and 026 sits in the truck. The 026 is a good saw IMO but I think the anti-vibe on the 361 is better and has more power, but you do have extra weight with the 361. I also question the need for the 200 in a fire wood business.
Jeff

I agree that a 460 is one of the best choices for a production firewood saw. As for me i love my 026. 90% of what i cut are tops, mostly hard maple. The 026 very lightweight for the power, and i use it on the smaller peices upto 5" or 6".....after that i grab the 460 or my 064 (both have had some mod work). I really dont see a need for a 361...its either small or its big. Most of the butts on the tops i cut are around 18-24". And in the production firewood business i have found that i spend the least amount of my time cutting, and more time splitting (even with a kick a$$ splitter), loading and hauling. So i guess i would say 460 with mods or a 660 IMO.

The 200 was for limbing out the small stuff but agree its probrably not needed. The 460 over the 440. Hmmm Sounds good to me will check it out Tuesday. I liked the feel of the 440. As far as the 260 that also felt real good but I really liked the 361.

Go with a 361 and a bare bones 440 (non-wrap handle, small side cover etc). The 460 although more powerful isn't worth the price increment for what you are doing. I bet you'll use the 361 most of the time. You'll love the 026 but you may not use it as much as you think.

I'll go with Lakeside again on this one. Yeah, the 460 would handle most any firewood task, but for what you're doing, the extra price and pound wouldn't be worth it. The 440 will do just fine, but if you want to go the 460 route, you wouldn't be out of line. If you're gonna be in timber, then that'd be a different story, I'd say go with the 460, no doubt. The 361 will fill your smaller saw spot well too. If you get the 361, you won't need the 260. You can limb and buck with it. It'll handle a wider range of bar lengths than the 260, and it's light enough to be considered a small, light saw. In my opinion, at least.

The 200 doesn't have any place in a firewood operation.

Jeff

Make sure to delete the "C" behind the 361s on your list! :blob2:

.........and I agree with WESCOMAN and Jeff that the MS200 is probably not needed.

I would also leave out the 260 until you are sure that you really need it.

fishhuntcutwood said:
I'll go with Lakeside again on this one. Yeah, the 460 would handle most any firewood task, but for what you're doing, the extra price and pound wouldn't be worth it. The 440 will do just fine, but if you want to go the 460 route, you wouldn't be out of line. If you're gonna be in timber, then that'd be a different story, I'd say go with the 460, no doubt. The 361 will fill your smaller saw spot well too. If you get the 361, you won't need the 260. You can limb and buck with it. It'll handle a wider range of bar lengths than the 260, and it's light enough to be considered a small, light saw. In my opinion, at least.

The 200 doesn't have any place in a firewood operation.

Jeff

Jeff,

I appreciate almost all of your comments, but I have a slightly different opinion on this one. I own two saws of his list, and am pleased with my choice, both from budget as from use (firewood) point of view, not to mention the ergonomical aspect of using suchs saws.

Firewood cutters are occasional users, not pro's, and operating heavy saws is quite wearing someone out. That's why I went for the MS200 to do the small limbing and cutting work (most time consuming and working in different positions). Good for my back, my endurance and safety. So I believe a MS200 has a place in firewood processing, at least for some people.

The MS 361/20" can handle all the big stuff I come across in my area.

But if I were getting younger and stronger every day, I would go for the 440 and 260 !:laugh:

belgian said:
Jeff,

I appreciate almost all of your comments, but I have a slightly different opinion on this one. I own two saws of his list, and am pleased with my choice, both from budget as from use (firewood) point of view, not to mention the ergonomical aspect of using suchs saws.

Firewood cutters are occasional users, not pro's, and operating heavy saws is quite wearing someone out. That's why I went for the MS200 to do the small limbing and cutting work (most time consuming and working in different positions). Good for my back, my endurance and safety. So I believe a MS200 has a place in firewood processing, at least for some people.

The MS 361/20" can handle all the big stuff I come across in my area.

But if I were getting younger and stronger every day, I would go for the 440 and 260 !:laugh:

Belgian-Good points. I based my post on the fact that he's wanting to do 200 cord of wood his first year. That's alot of wood, only to be increased upon. I at least consider that a full time user and not occasional. But that's just me. And I would think that an occasional user would have even less of a use for the 200. You can get more power, with only a little extra weight from the MS 250, and spend $200 less here in the US at least. The 200 being the quality and specialty saw that it is, usually doesn't strike me as an occasional user's saw. I'm not saying it doesn't work. It obviously does for you. And if I was cutting that much firewood, I wouldn't want to have to stoop down as much as the 200 would have me stooping. Light weight or not, that'd kill me doing that all day. And as an afterthought, if he's going to have a fleet of saws, it'd be of convenience to have them all wear the same bar mount, which all but the 200 he listed would. If I was a production firewood guy, and my 361 or 260 has a problem, or gets backed over by the truck...I don't know, anything. I'd like to be able to take my 18" bar I was using and be able to put it on my 440 and keep going for the day.

Just my thoughts.

Jeff

good reasoning, Jeff, particularly with regard to the bar mount. I'll go along with your recommendation.
200 cords/year is indeed a big difference with my particular case !

belgian said:
200 cords/year is indeed a big difference with my particular case !

I'd say 200 cord a year is a big difference with many of our cases. I'd guess that I cut, split and stack at the most, 10-12 cord a year. But I'm just heating my house and have the extra firewood for the buddies now and then that didn't plan on enough wood for the year, and run out about late January or so. I'm stock piling it now. I'll be stationed here for another three winters, counting this one. I'll sell any extra that I have my last fall here before I transfer.

Jeff

WOW Everyone has made great points. I believe I will get 1-440 2-361 (no C) and 2-260 pros. The biggest stuff we run into is about 24" to 26" across and mainly will be cutting 14" to 16". Not very big. I did want the 440 for when I do run into a big one. My son and I have been using the Husky 455 Rancher and 55 Rancher. Heavy saws for the H.P.. Ive been reading how good the STIHLs are so I will give them a shot. Are plans are 5 cords a day 5 days a week. We have done it with the Husky so I feel the lighter more powerful saws will only speed things up.

fishhuntcutwood said:
The 200 being the quality and specialty saw that it is, usually doesn't strike me as an occasional user's saw.

Jeff, a 200 and a 200T have very different handle configurations... :)

CNYCountry said:
Jeff, a 200 and a 200T have very different handle configurations... :)

Yeah, I know. I still think that the 200 (rear handle) is just as specialized as the 200T (top handle, which I own.) The 200 was designed for bucket work, not firewood, or the occasional homeowner.

Am I missing something? :confused:

Jeff

WESCOMAN said:
My son and I have been using the Husky 455 Rancher and 55 Rancher.

Well, if you've been using those two saw, any of the saws up for your consideration will be a marked improvement. For the wood you describe, you'd be well off with one of your 361's with an 18" and one with a 20" or even 24", but you'll have your 440 for that stuff I suppose.

Yeah, I said it, a 24" on a 361! I run it in timber, he can sure run it in firewood.

Jeff

fishhuntcutwood said:
Yeah, I know. I still think that the 200 (rear handle) is just as specialized as the 200T (top handle, which I own.) The 200 was designed for bucket work, not firewood, or the occasional homeowner.

Am I missing something? :confused:

Nothing at all, I guess I was thinking of the 200t as a very specialized model where the 200 was not as specialized, but just a very small version.... My mistake... :)

fishhuntcutwood said:
Yeah, I said it, a 24" on a 361! I run it in timber, he can sure run it in firewood.

Obviously you have good luck with it with skip chain in softwood but I have run a 24" with full comp full chisel in softer hardwood and would not recommend it except for the most occasional use...

Back