Who has a Husky 385?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should consider a 372xp/2171. What size bar are you going to use? Better not buy a Stihl from that guy.

the bars will range from 20-36'' saw will get reasonable use 2-5 uses per week maybe 1 hour per use(unless i really like it then it will become my main saw) PS do on-line stores offer warranty's and will local dealers touch Internet saws..

thanks for the thoughts on these saws however no one mentioned the jonsered 2186 ?. as far as the dolmar it was considered until the only local dealer who is many miles away quoted a price of 1006.95 +tax :jawdrop: jonsered and husky dealers are the only reputable dealers close buy where I could get a warranty without a hassle. by the way stihl is out of the question as my brother had a affair with the local dealers wife:) the above is what I am looking for unless some one knows of another bullet proof saw for 800 or less

The 2186, like already has been said, is the red version of the 385. Handle bar and plastic differences.

I used to have a 2186, but found myself always grabbing the 660 because the weight and power. The 385 is very heavy for it's power if you have to lug it around. I found myself grabbing the 660 because it had more nutz and the weight wasn't that much difference.

I like the 7900 over the 385. It is a lot lighter and has more grunt. Take it for what it is worth.

-Steve

Last edited:
If you buy online you could have a hard time getting it serviced locally. You still get a warranty but some shops will not work on saws that were bought online. I would rather pay a bit more and have a good dealer closeby if I need service. If your going to run a 36" bar the 80-90cc saws are what you need. I like the specs on the 390 over the 385 I have heard they had some bearing problems with the 385 and I would get a 7900 or 390 if I was in your shoes.

My neighbor has one with a three foot bar. It's badass, I ran it a couple times. I have a snapped chain off it in my basement. Not running now though. The clutch is in three pieces and the side cover is all messed up.

If you buy online you could have a hard time getting it serviced locally. You still get a warranty but some shops will not work on saws that were bought online. I would rather pay a bit more and have a good dealer closeby if I need service. If your going to run a 36" bar the 80-90cc saws are what you need. I like the specs on the 390 over the 385 I have heard they had some bearing problems with the 385 and I would get a 7900 or 390 if I was in your shoes.

I was told by my local dealer this was around five years ago or so. I can't remember exactly what the problem was, but he said the newer 72's had similar issues for a year or so.

never mind

Went to another dolmar dealer today who has the 7900 for 780$ when I walked in I saw that they were a husky dealer also, Sooo the 385 and 7900 got man handled quit a bit. wow what a disappointment as both saws were very large and off ballenced felt like they would be hard to use, did not fit me well at all. The saws that I currently use are a jonsered 920, 670 stihl 028, 036, 041 and a couple echo trim saws. maybe my preference is for the old box shaped saws with straight handles ??? thanks for the opinions now I need to rethink my strategy on a new saw.

Latest posts

Back