Who has a Husky 385?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinemartin

tightwad
Reaction score
Lookin to buy a new, larger Husky or Jonesred saw. Unfortunately, local dealer does not have a demo saw for me to try. Was wondering if someone out there in my area (Hesperia, MI) has a Husky 385 or Jonesred 2186 that I can run or watch being run? Want to find out performance, fit, feel, etc.
Let me know if this is you. I will be home all weekend.

pinemartin

Gypo Logger use them, but he is banned.....

...and his saws are modded.....:)

Seriously, power to weight is not great on those saws, when stock - look at the Dolmar 7900 instead, a lot less weight for about the same power.

...or look at the Husky 390xp, if it has to be a Husky.

Last edited:
Gypo Logger use them, but he is banned.....

...and his saws are modded.....:)

Seriously, power to weight is not great on those saws, when stock - look at the Dolmar 7900 instead, a lot less weight for about the same power.

...or look at the Husky 390xp, if it has to be a Husky.

And thats a shame ,,,,

If you are wanting a Husky then the 372 ported and fixed up can be lighter and as powerfull as the 385. I have heard that the "Simonized" 372 can run a 3 foot bar and run like a 395 and ms660. It is a $300 dollar job to fix it up. I don't think the 385 is as good a chainsaw, clutch side bearings are always going. Same is happening with the 390's. 372 seem to last better as a falling saw anyhow. Dolmar 7900 another option, but do you work on your own saws and can order parts, or have a good dealer nearby.

385xp

If you are wanting a Husky then the 372 ported and fixed up can be lighter and as powerfull as the 385. I have heard that the "Simonized" 372 can run a 3 foot bar and run like a 395 and ms660. It is a $300 dollar job to fix it up. I don't think the 385 is as good a chainsaw, clutch side bearings are always going. Same is happening with the 390's. 372 seem to last better as a falling saw anyhow. Dolmar 7900 another option, but do you work on your own saws and can order parts, or have a good dealer nearby.

I have a 385 and it's a running SOB for a stock saw. It was the most impressive out of the box saw I've ran. Mine pulls my 24" GB bar buried with authorty through anything. Nobody's 385 around me has ever had any bearings go out. I asked both my dealers, they haven't even had one break yet. And all the other loggers around me are using them also. The only one my dealer got back had a blown top end and it looked like it had a million hours on it, and it was 4 yrs old. He put a new top end in it and with origonal bearings and the guy is still running it. It must be them guys running 4ft bars on them out west taking the bearings out.lol And if so, WTF, it takes what a couple hours of solid working to put them in. Lakeside can, but he's good like that. I'd like to run a 7900, but I don't think it would have the grunt of a 385. And yes, it a shame that gypo logger is banned. He was the info source on 385's, he has 4 of them, and all modded.:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

Yep, talk to Gypo.
attachment.php

I have a 385 and it's a running SOB for a stock saw. It was the most impressive out of the box saw I've ran. Mine pulls my 24" GB bar buried with authorty through anything. Nobody's 385 around me has ever had any bearings go out. I asked both my dealers, they haven't even had one break yet. And all the other loggers around me are using them also. The only one my dealer got back had a blown top end and it looked like it had a million hours on it, and it was 4 yrs old. He put a new top end in it and with origonal bearings and the guy is still running it. It must be them guys running 4ft bars on them out west taking the bearings out.lol And if so, WTF, it takes what a couple hours of solid working to put them in. Lakeside can, but he's good like that. I'd like to run a 7900, but I don't think it would have the grunt of a 385. And yes, it a shame that gypo logger is banned. He was the info source on 385's, he has 4 of them, and all modded.:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

I would agree, my 385 ripped just fine stock, atcually like a stripped ass ape. The saw has ample torque, good chain speed and is reliable as the day is long.

I dunno, the 7900 has a cult following here for a reason. Its got more than plenty grunt.. you should try one at a gtg someday

385's

I dunno, the 7900 has a cult following here for a reason. Its got more than plenty grunt.. you should try one at a gtg someday

385's take mods better. I'd bet gypo would race a modded 7900 with his 385.lol There is a vid of gypo's 385 on youtube. And there is another vid on his snuffed saws thread. I would like to run a 7900 though. Nobody around me sells dolmar. Just stihl, husky, J-red.:greenchainsaw: :chainsaw:

The 385 and 390 are great saws. They do run great stock but, modded they are in a class by themselves. IMO I have both and they are just great modded.

385's

I have two 385's both modded buy Gypo him self.Great saws they rip 24 inch bar barried in a hard maple cut's like butter.It is to bad gypo is banned miss his threads.

A properly modded 372 will out-cut a 385/390, even with 37" bar. The PTO side bearing has been a problem on the 385, I have warrantied or replaced at least 120 in the last 4 years. Granted these are used for Westcoast falling and always have bars 32" to 37". Cheers, Simon.

Holy crap!I only hope my 390 will throw chips like Gypo's 385.....That's a sweet pic.:jawdrop:

Last edited:

Holy crap!I only hope my #90 will throw chips like Gypo's 385.....That's a sweet pic.:jawdrop:

My 385 throws chips like that, so your 390 should. But I doubt it will beat it, that 385 of his is smoking modded 066's all day long. We need gypo's pics back!!!!!:greenchainsaw: :chainsaw:

thanks for the thoughts on these saws however no one mentioned the jonsered 2186 ?. as far as the dolmar it was considered until the only local dealer who is many miles away quoted a price of 1006.95 +tax :jawdrop: jonsered and husky dealers are the only reputable dealers close buy where I could get a warranty without a hassle. by the way stihl is out of the question as my brother had a affair with the local dealers wife:) the above is what I am looking for unless some one knows of another bullet proof saw for 800 or less

thanks for the thoughts on these saws however no one mentioned the jonsered 2186 ?. as far as the dolmar it was considered until the only local dealer who is many miles away quoted a price of 1006.95 +tax :jawdrop: jonsered and husky dealers are the only reputable dealers close buy where I could get a warranty without a hassle. by the way stihl is out of the question as my brother had a affair with the local dealers wife:) the above is what I am looking for unless some one knows of another bullet proof saw for 800 or less

The 2186 is a 385 with red/black plastic and a straight across handle bar.:greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back