Who ports saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright 056...I'll pop the $64 million dollar question to ya. Why don't ya let the cat outta the bag and just tell all us saw fools what we need to do, how to do it, to get our saws up to speed with yours? All of us just seem to keep slinging good money after bad, and you got the ticket and the answers everyone here is looking for. And we'll try keep sharp chains on the things too. Come on, help a bunch of going-broke-at-the-speed-of-light, saw brother fools out if' ya don't mind. ;)
He has no idea - he only knows he likes a saw that will pull a long bar without losing rpm, but hasn't any idea how to achieve that in terms of engine mods because he pays someone else to do the work. Then he assumes everyone else needs the same thing he does. In keeping with the original topic, he doesn't port saws and isn't telling who he had do his - it's just trolling.

A saw can only be geared to a very limited extent so it must make the power at the rpms it will have to run. If it's going to be pulling a long bar and heavy load it will need an appropriate power delivery curve, but not everyone is doing the same thing. I don't like a saw that is all revs at light load and falls on its face if you lean on it either. Still, there are various uses for saws, and not all of us are pro PNW loggers.

5881861191_90de8b5bc9.jpg

He has no idea - he only knows he likes a saw that will pull a long bar without losing rpm, but hasn't any idea how to achieve that in terms of engine mods because he pays someone else to do the work. Then he assumes everyone else needs the same thing he does. In keeping with the original topic, he doesn't port saws and isn't telling who he had do his - it's just trolling.

A saw can only be geared to a very limited extent so it must make the power at the rpms it will have to run. If it's going to be pulling a long bar and heavy load it will need an appropriate power delivery curve, but not everyone is doing the same thing. I don't like a saw that is all revs at light load and falls on its face if you lean on it either. Still, there are various uses for saws, and not all of us are pro PNW loggers.

i suspect that's what it is which is why i said the 2 i had ported by a builder i told him they were gonna be for long bars. they pull long bars really well.

Hey @Big Block just make sure you send my old saw to one of the reputable builders so you don't get the Moody treatment.
I have a Masterminded 346 that leaves me satisfied every time.

I most definitely will. That thing is a beautiful saw by the way pictures don't do it justice and a runner too.

Guess what bubbs! The last 660 I ported ran for millions of mbf & it had more ass than a stocker no doubt.

Please tell me more about my utter ignorance in the field!

This is getting ugly. Lets move along kids its all over here. Nothing but name calling and B.S. from here on out. B.S. is not you Brad.
Easy chief!!...this is just gettin' interesting and worth a few cheap laughs :laugh:. We be's waiting on some of that 'port'n torque' info. 'Port'n Torque'...now that sounds like the next desperate, gimmick meal in a box at McD's don't it?

I watched the vid 056 kid and i can see what your saying, hit a small knot on the first cut wipes out half the revs with no pressure on the saw , first time the spikes touch the log the chain comes to a stop and this is in a 18 inch log ... Question the torque get attacked by the body gaurds and blamed for ruining a thread
Great stuff guys

It is simple. The saw runs stronger from idle to a few hundred rpm higher than a stocker I'd guess.

Say, I wonder how much old growth Brad's, Randy's, Terry's, etc.. saws are cutting right now?

This new learning amazes me.......
So unless a guy is cutting old growth he can't port saws.....
And only good drivers can build good engines.......
And only a surgeon can build good surgical tools.....

Okay. I'm good with it.

Have your mommy fix you some Hot Pockets .......ya snowflake.....

Latest posts

Back