Why do Stihl Chainsaws Command Such High Dollars?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fearofpavement

fearofpavement

Trying them all
I have been amazed by how much sick or parts Stihls go for on eBay as well. As stated earlier it's a supply and demand thing and sometimes just stupid buyers.

I like to go to estate auctions and just laugh sometimes when things get bid up above the new in store price because two guys get into a peeing contest.

'course then there's the time an item got bid up because I was unknowingly bidding against my wife. Stupid buyers just like I said!

THALL10326

THALL10326

The Champ
How many trips to the woodshed is that? :laugh:

Space I gotta answer your post there again about the woodshed to show you how the woodshed really works.

I got a customer I know very well, he's bought several units from me over the years, he runs a landscape operation. The thing about him though is he's a price shopper. He will call all over and play dealers againist dealers trying to save that last penny. He's pulled it on me many times and has bought elsewhere at times but I know what he has bought from me and what he has not. Whenever he brings in a unit he bought from me I treat him good and charge him as least as possible. Now the woodshed. When he brings in a unit he bought elsewhere I rake his azz over the coals and he knows why. He'll buy units from anyone but its me he chooses for all his repair work.

Now the woodshed in full bloom. He oldest son also has a landscape biz and he's never bought anything from me. The other day his dad, my customer, calls me and tells me his son has two blowers down, a hedgetrimmer down as well. He says is Stihl having problems with their blowers, I go not that I know of. He goes well the place he bought them from doesn't seem to up to snuff. I go really, where did he buy those units from. He got em over in West Virginia he says. I go really, well good, I'm glad they went down. He goes what. I go you heard me, in fact I hope they're blown up and can't be fixed at all. He goes now wait a dayumm minute. I go no, you wait a dayumm minute, you should be calling the place where he bought them, not me, now if he had bought them from me I just might giva dayummm. He laffs his butt off on the phone along with me. I told him tell that boy of yours if I'm not good enuff to buy from I'm not good enuff to fix his dayumm stuff. He goes okkkk, enuff of the woodshed,LOLOLOLOLOLOL

woodbooga

woodbooga

cords of mystic memory
This has to be because of brand recognition.

CT

I read a book a while back whose title was 'The Culting of Brands'. The thesis of the book was that certain brands inspire a loyalty that transcends the products that they embody. Think HD, JD, or apple computers. Some are #1. Some proudly say, hey, we'll sacrifice market share to reach the right kind of consumer (apple v. microsoft)

I'm not brand loyal. I like Stihl. But i like better a machine that'll put fuel in the old cookstove.

Honestly, I'm glad of stihl's brand identity. I've whacked down many an asking price on jreds, homies, anf McCullochs by saying, 'Boy, I wish it were a stihl. That's the best saw and what I'd pay your asking price for." Intense negotions for cheep equipment ensues. Thanks stihl cult branding for saving me $$$!

Cornfed

Cornfed

ArboristSite Lurker
All I can say is, stihl don't sell their products to any (farm an fleet store), you hafta buy there product from a stihl dealer. Husky and all them other saw brands sell there products over the counter at retail stores. I don't like that. Your not dealing with a dealer anymore, your dealing with a store!

In my opinion thats why stihl is yet a better product.

Strelnikov

Strelnikov

ArboristSite Operative
All I can say is, stihl don't sell their products to any (farm an fleet store), you hafta buy there product from a stihl dealer. Husky and all them other saw brands sell there products over the counter at retail stores. I don't like that. Your not dealing with a dealer anymore, your dealing with a store!

Stihl may or may not have a better product. But at least they care that their dealers survive. The big box store could care less if I have a repair issue with a product I bought from them once they have my money for a new unit. I have a problem with that. Especially with something potentially as temperamental as a chain saw.

CentaurG2

CentaurG2

Addicted to ArboristSite
I understand new models, but good lord, have you ever seen what parts saws go for on eBay?

I would buy a Stihl in a heartbeat to work on, if it were a reasonable price.

CT

New stihl saws are expensive at the dealers and most stick right to MSRP and don’t budge an inch. Stihl parts are also expensive and only available at a dealer or used on ebay.

I would think that most folks figure, if you purchase a parts saw and part it out, you can sell the parts for good coin on ebay. Your only competition is the brick and mortar stihl dealers. Also, folks don’t seem to mind paying for the convenience of ebay. Net is that stihl parts and part saws fetch a premium.

Good deal if you are selling used saws but it kinda stinks if you are in the market for one. Best to just purchase new and get the warrantee.

ryan_marine

ryan_marine

ArboristSite Guru
Due to the fact that there are more dealers for stihl than any other in my area I run stihl. If I can't fix it, one of them can with same day or next day service. There is a Jred dealer in town. I stopped by once. The salesman didn't know anything about their larger saws. I might be looking to get another saw in the 660 range. But most likely I will buy off of here or ebay. That is where I get my best deals. I will stay with stihl due to that is what all my other saws are and the bars and some parts will inerchange.

Ray

woodyman

woodyman

Addicted to ArboristSite
I would say Stihl & Husqvarna command the same.My job lets me talk to people from all over the country here in the USA,alot that are farmers or ex loggers that have cut wood and used chainsaws and 95% or more have never heard of Dolmar but know Stihl,Husqvarna,Homelite,Poulan,etc.I like Husqvarna and it doesn't matter if the closest dealer is in the next state but for the average saw owner with a homeowner saw and doesn't know the chain won't go around because the chainbrake is ingaged it does.Prices on ebay for saws is retarded,alot of used saws sold on ebay reach new saw prices.Pay what you want for a chainsaw,if your happy with it price don't matter.

brages

brages

Addicted to ArboristSite
I understand new models, but good lord, have you ever seen what parts saws go for on eBay?

I would buy a Stihl in a heartbeat to work on, if it were a reasonable price.

CT

There is something ironic in your post, paraphrased as: "I would love to buy one of these things, but they cost too much." Things that are desired tend to be expensive! :D

However, I do agree with you! A typical Stihl "parts saw" plus the price of the parts to fix it to working condition tends to be about the same price as a runner on Ebay. However, the Ebay value of the parts in that parts saw is usually quite a bit more than the price of the parts saw. All I can figure out is that people are buying them either for parts alone, or to part out.

Now craigslist, there's a place you can get project saws... a project saw is just like a parts saw, except the price is low enough you can make a runner out of it for less than the going price of a running saw. :)

The Burning Rom

The Burning Rom

ArboristSite Operative
All of the above are reasons for Stihls bringing in top dollar, but they can be found at decent price if you're willing to put in the time.

Putting aside the free saws that I've gotten from friends and relatives, I've been able to find some great deals on eBay. Sometimes it takes some patience, but you can find them. It's also important to note that one person's great deal may not be another person's definition of it. Some people also value saws differently than others. The old 1111 series saws (050, 075, etc) are highly desirable for myself, but it may not be to someone else.

I keep a list of what I've paid for my saws. Here are a few of what I felt were deals.

My 020 Super for instance was $51 shipped. Saw was running...nothing wrong with it...though it was listed as parts.

My MS660 was $340 shipped. It was listed as parts, but there ended up being nothing wrong with it.

My 051 was $90 shipped. Listed as parts...no spark. Just needed a coil.

My 011AVT was $70 shipped. Listed as parts, but it ran after a carb cleaning. It had spent most of it's life sitting in a case, so it wasn't faded or beat up. It also came with that case.

D&B Mack

D&B Mack

Sawin Wit It!
One reason for stihl, I think, is the name recognition. If you go to the average person (that isn't into chainsaws) and ask "Who makes the best chainsaw?" I bet over 50% would say Stihl, just because they know they make professional saws and it is the name that comes to mind. Therefore, if the average guy wants to buy a better saw, they think 'Hmmm, maybe I can find a Stihl cheap on Ebay.' When I sell a used saw to a homeowner, they usually tell this basic concept. "Had a homelite for years, wanted to get a real saw." Just good marketing by Stihl.

JustinM

JustinM

Addicted to ArboristSite
supply and demand

If you didn't want one the price would go down. If 1,000,000 people didn't want one the price would go down alot.

If Germany made a few more the price would go down. If they made 1,000,000 more a year the price would go down alot.

In a nutshell, yes.

The other thing is that Stihl has spent years working on brand recognition - and doing a great job at it. Its like Canon or Panasonic - you know if you walk into an electronics store, without having doing any research, you wont go wrong with either of those two. Would they be the best in class? Probably not, but they'd be among the 2 or 3 best in every model or type you could buy. Same with Stihl.

You can argue about perception vs. reality and you can argue about whether Dolmar or Husky is in a similar position but the reality is that this is how most consumers look at it & thats what sets the bar for the prices.

Trigger-Time

Trigger-Time

Addicted to ArboristSite
Stihl's do seem to have the best resale of any brand of saw by far.
At any given time ebay will have thousands more Stihls listed
than any other brand. Right now their are 22,192 listings
in chainsaw category, but people do list lots of parts in this
category (wish they didn't do that)And people selling other brands
of saws will put Stihl in the title to get more people to look at their
listing.

But anyway of the 22,192 listings in the "Chainsaw Category" on ebay.

9,244 saws listed under Stihl
3,009 Husqvarna......Husky had 21 but almost everyone had Husqvarna in title also
2,799 Homelite
1,622 Echo
1,436 McCullough
1,102 Polan
656 Jonsered
335 Craftsman

In the "Outdoor Power Equipment" category with a total of 124,987 listings

22,592 Stihl
11,313 Homelite
10,672 Husqvarna
5,743 Echo
5,115, Poulan
2,094 Jonsered

Yes, some can say it's because the Stihl's are junk and people
are just unloading them.........if thats true it's been going on for
over 4 years. As thats how long I have been watching saws close on ebay.

The way it is suppose to work is the more of something the cheaper
it is. Am not bashing the other brands just IMO Stihl makes a very
good products and people are willing to pay for it. As Stihl is a known and trusted name.

TT

gemniii

gemniii

Addicted to ArboristSite

John Deere sells Stihl now

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=73041

And THALL has a story on that.

And all though I'm a Kubota fan John Deere makes a good tractor. I even bought one for our 30yr old son (and grandson) for Christmas :)

thumbnail.asp

acguy

acguy

ArboristSite Member
Marketing

Stihl is Market Saturation....

It's the Honda Motor Company Model relived. Shove your product out there by every possible pipeline available, and the brand recognition market will develop on it's own.

Or heck, maybe it is the bright dreamsicle color ORANGE that makes your brain freak out and pay more than you should be paying. Here comes the ice cream man! LOL

Who knows? Who cares?

fields_mj

fields_mj

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
My opinion is that the answer is two fold. First - They are over priced to begin with due to brand recognition. Like Dodge trucks. Lets face it, if it were not for Cummins, dodge wouldn't make a truck worth owning. :blob2: :hmm3grin2orange:

Second - They last a LONG LONG LONG time even under heavy use. I can't speak for any of the newer MS models, but the old saws just seem to run forever. As always, there are exceptions to the rule. I've hear the 031 was a dog, but I've never even seen one so.... There are still a lot of 041 saws out there that have cut who knows how much wood, and are still good saws today even though the technology is ancient.

As far as e-bay prices for parts saws, well that's because those bidding are idiots.

Latest posts