Would you or would you, this is a test

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thall you sound like a 1 man show, whos watchin the shop while you eat?

You did say you were gone for and hour and the chain was on the counter when you got back.Have you checked your inventory lately?

the store owners don't trust mr. hall enough to keep any real inventory in the shop.
all the good stuff is in the main building, well behind the registers.

all they will get stealing from the saw shop is a hand full of his doo-glue and maybe some elvis paraphenalia.....................

;)

One chain! One chain! Who the hell buys a saw and only has one chain.

Here is my 2 cents (if you care): I think you as a dealer have the responsibility to sell as many extra chains with every saw you sell, so this doesn't happen. Explain that unless the buyer can successfully sharpen a chain they should make the intial "investment" in additional chains. Al it takes is one ground strike or a nail or, my favorite, a pebble lodged in the log, to ruin the cutting qualitites of a top notch stihl chain.

.......just me 2 cents:)

Tommy, if it was me, I just wouldn't of done it if I had other **** to do, good thing I don't really have to deal with customers too much at work, otherwise they'd be getting an ear full some of em. People all the time figure their frigging more important then anybody else.

Now about chains. To this day I can't understand someone who runs a saw, cant sharpen their own dam chain!!!

My old man would sharpen them by hand a few time's then bring them in to get done by the grinder. No i got my own and do all mine and charge $5 a chain most places around here charge 12 or soemthign crazy.

In California its normal and even expected to sharpen chains on the spot(commercial clowns)only. I wish I could tell people to just buy a chain but these guys are so dirt cheap that theyll just go to the next shop and get it sharpened. Lot of shops dont even sharpen a chain correctly. They grind unnecessary amounts, 1 tooth longer than the next, burn it up, don't lower depth gauges. Now a regular consumer thats a diff story. Pay upfront and leave it til I tell ya to pick it up.

Thall you sound like a 1 man show, whos watchin the shop while you eat?

One man show would be correct. If it pertains to Stihl it pertains to me. If its in the building and the name on it is Stihl I'm the cat that ordered it and put it there. The Stihl show in this location is my baby 100%.

When I go to lunch the shop is locked. People can drop off things at the main store counter but they can't get in the shop till I get back. Sometimes the folks at the main store counter will bring drop off items to the shop and leave them while I'm at lunch which is where and how that chain showed up on my counter.

Its not the best system becasue for 1 hour a day the door is locked. However I stay put through most folks normal lunch hour which it between 11
and 1. I have alot of people come in during that time frame. At 2pm my belly is groweling and I'm going to eat. Unless of course I'm in the middle of a sale. Been many days I've got no lunch at all but I've never missed a lunch over a chain sharpening, thats for sure,haha

This is a good post while it adresses a view from both sides of the counter. When I visit a dealer over here, there are always a few fella's in line to have their chains sharpened. I agree about most people assuming a chain sharpening only takes a few minutes anyway, and while most dealers have automated equipment or at least a grinder, they expect their chains to be sharpened while they wait. Buying a new chain for them is not always a solution, while next time they bring in two chains to sharpen instead of one....

and given traffic and time involved, as a customer, I am not looking forward to driving two times for a chain to be sharpened anyway. Fuel and especially time is expensive, at least to me.

So, if I were a dealer, I'd try to offer a chain sharpening while you wait, for a price that generates a decent margin. If it becomes too much of a burden, you could eventually hire a cheap temporary help (insert : get dapper dan involved !)

as most people pointed out, good communication and the right attitude is key in getting/providing a good service. And ole Tommy knows it all too well...he provided the service and educated the customer at the same time.

H@ll, I am pretty sure that if I have to handle Tommy myself, while telling a naughty joke and with some elvis music in the background, I could even persuade him to get me a few things for FREE !!! :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

:cheers:

Hell Belgian I get cats bringing as many as 10-15 chains in here at a time. What tickles me is I sold those chains to them using my buy a new one if you want it now method. They wind up dulling every chain they got and here they come, they have no sharp chains, all dulled. What happens, they buy another cause I tellem, you need to rotate your chains, when you dull half of what you have you need to getem sharpened while you have others to use.

Fact of the matter is everyone is in a hurry, everyone wants it now. My theroy is someone is going to have to wait, I choose the dull chain guy, I can fix him in a hurry by selling him a new one,LOL

Free, tant nothing free. I have fun with free. I get few now and then that walk in and go whatcha got for free, I go what did you bring me for free, end of discussion,LOL

Good one here. Ole boy was trying to beat me down on price. He wanted free chains, free oil and on and on and on. I looked at him and said give me
$20.00. He goes what. I said you heard me, give me $20.00. He goes forwhat, I go because I want something for free just like you. We had a good laff, he got his little break on the saw but no free oil, no free chains, turning the table works wonders. It makes people realize they shouldn't ask for what they aren't willing to do themselves.

So when you show up Belgian whatcha bringing me for FREE,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Hell Belgian I get cats bringing as many as 10-15 chains in here at a time. What tickles me is I sold those chains to them using my buy a new one if you want it now method. They wind up dulling every chain they got and here they come, they have no sharp chains, all dulled. What happens, they buy another cause I tellem, you need to rotate your chains, when you dull half of what you have you need to getem sharpened while you have others to use.

Fact of the matter is everyone is in a hurry, everyone wants it now. My theroy is someone is going to have to wait, I choose the dull chain guy, I can fix him in a hurry by selling him a new one,LOL

Free, tant nothing free. I have fun with free. I get few now and then that walk in and go whatcha got for free, I go what did you bring me for free, end of discussion,LOL

Good one here. Ole boy was trying to beat me down on price. He wanted free chains, free oil and on and on and on. I looked at him and said give me
$20.00. He goes what. I said you heard me, give me $20.00. He goes forwhat, I go because I want something for free just like you. We had a good laff, he got his little break on the saw but no free oil, no free chains, turning the table works wonders. It makes people realize they shouldn't ask for what they aren't willing to do themselves.

So when you show up Belgian whatcha bringing me for FREE,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Ill give you something for free, what you got?

Ill give you something for free, what you got?

Ok, let me think, I know. I will allow you to stand before a prince among men, a cat of high moral fiber, a obvious show of greatness will be before your eyes. I'll give you that free though its worth maybe 2 cents so you bring me a quarter, deal? :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Ok, let me think, I know. I will allow you to stand before a prince among men, a cat of high moral fiber, a obvious show of greatness will be before your eyes. I'll give you that free though its worth maybe 2 cents so you bring me a quarter, deal? :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

what's your address ill send you .04 cents. :censored: i think the stamp cost more?

what's your address ill send you .04 cents. :censored: i think the stamp cost more?

Haha, good one. Reminds me. I got this new thing going on in the shop where I charge everyone $5.00 if I catch them watching, the customers and me are having a ball with this. I'll have to make a little vid of what I'm talking about. Give me a few minutes, I'll show ya, you will laff your azz off.........

Haha, good one. Reminds me. I got this new thing going on in the shop where I charge everyone $5.00 if I catch them watching, the customers and me are having a ball with this. I'll have to make a little vid of what I'm talking about. Give me a few minutes, I'll show ya, you will laff your azz off.........

I'm waiting.... you charge people to watch you work? That's genius.

Most people don't have the mental ability to fix anything....

Last edited:
I'm waiting.... you charge people to watch you work? That's genius.

Most people don't have the mental ability to fix anything....

NO no, its not of me or anything I do. I got a TV setting on the corner of the counter. It has a built in DVD player. I stuck a Elvis concert in it and man you talk about people staring at a TV. I took notice so now its $5.00 if ya wanna watch the King in his prime while your browsing or waiting or buying,LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

I'm uploading the vid now, I'll have it up in a minute or two....

NO no, its not of me or anything I do. I got a TV setting on the corner of the counter. It has a built in DVD player. I stuck a Elvis concert in it and man you talk about people staring at a TV. I took notice so now its $5.00 if ya wanna watch the King in his prime while your browsing or waiting or buying,LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

I'm uploading the vid now, I'll have it up in a minute or two....

ohh LOL. Has anyone payed up?

i seem to recall you making the statement that a man should ask for discounts and such.
if i recall, they did not deserve a discount if they did not try to get one.
The right thing was simple. You let the guy tell you the price is on the tag and you gave up. Ya shoulda worked him some. This is the deserving part I'm telling you about. Work the guy some and get a discount. If you will not work him you don't deserve a discount. Hell its that simple.

I'm not saying beg or say please but work the guy. Same way I work my sales. If all I ever did is say what do you want I would never sell anything. There's a zillion things you could have said to get that guy on your side and chances are good he would have come down on the price for you, not because he owed it to you, but because you convinced him of just what you want, him going "hey I should give this guy a break".

Accpeting his "the price on the tag" was the start, not the end of the sale. Rest was up to you. Remember always, the price on the tag is the starting point, not the ending point....

a series of fine lines?

Last edited:
ohh LOL. Has anyone payed up?

Hell no but were having some good laffs over it. The women sit and stare and I tell the hubbies, hey man, your old woman there is wishing you was the King, they laff their azz off,LOLOLOLOL

i seem to recall you making the statement that a man should ask for discounts and such.
if i recall, they did not deserve a discount if they did not try to get one.

a series of fine lines?

So true but there are limits to everything. I got no problem giving discounts as you well know. I don't mind a man asking for a break at all within reason. There is no reason to offer discounts but if they ask for one they should heard. There are some that want the whole house for free, those are the ones I turn the tables on....

That be $5.00 sir, you must have looked. Send cash, Wendy's meal is $6.50, dayumm I need one more watcher,hahaha

Tommie ...... all clear here ..... I watched it in reverse and the Brylcreem haze is gone. Go to Wendy's and tell 'em this one is on ole joat. Wear running shoes 'cause you're gonna have to get the heck outta there fast.

ole joat

Last edited:
Back