xp or xpg?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husky455rancher

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
well i sold the almighty rancher. it was a good saw for what it was but i never used it once the 262 came into play. so now i figure ill get a sweet replacement for that and my little 142 sooo....

im gettin a 346xp. the only question i have is, is the heated handles worth the 50 bucks? i never ran a saw with them and i dunno if its worth it. any advise?

i still need a big saw but with the 262 and the 346 that will about coiver me for 90% of my wood cutting. im still lookin for a deal on a older big saw or maybe a home depot special. weight really seems to be an issue with me as my hands continue to close up on me to the point where i cant use them if i really do some sawin. the lighter the saw the longer i can work. ive actually been runnin the 142 alot when the wood is appropriate. so the 346 will be much welcomed!

Last edited:
It's sad isn't it? I get harped on all the time for pushing the "pro" saws, but once you use one, you just can't go back!!! Nothing like a 262 for firewood!!!!

It gets cold here, but when it's that cold I don't want to go out anyway!!! So heated handles wouldn't do much for meI don't think!
Do you think you wil really be out when it's that cold? Do you really want to be, or do you have to?
Answer yes to any of those questions, then it's worth the $50!!!
Easy!!

if i got wood to cut or trees to fell i dont care what the temp is. we were out all day the last few saturdays, one day was 45 that was nice, the other 2 were in the low upper teens and lower 20's. i dont mind working in the cold or the heat. i actually cut most of my wood and dragged it outta the woods in the dead of summer. i just cut when i get the time.

I bought some firewood from a guy with a 372XP and a 372XPG. He says the heated bar is nice if you're cutting w/o gloves. His had an electrical problem that made it run worse when switched on.and the heater only worked intermittently. I don't know if this is a common problem but I just bought a new 346XP w/o the heater just to keep it simple.
Ed

I like mine

My dealer talked me into a 395 XPG. You won't use it a lot but when you do (cold days with wet gloves) you sure will like it. So far my has been very reliable (no breakdowns). Don't really know how much extra I paid.

I always buy XPG's (or WH), couldn't live without.
But I live in Sweden ... When it's below zero and raining even though it should be snowing, then it's nice to switch on.

I bought some firewood from a guy with a 372XP and a 372XPG. He says the heated bar is nice if you're cutting w/o gloves. His had an electrical problem that made it run worse when switched on.and the heater only worked intermittently. I don't know if this is a common problem but I just bought a new 346XP w/o the heater just to keep it simple.
Ed

It is not a common problem, most of my saws have heated handles, and that is not a coinsidence.

They are really nice when weather is cold and/or the gloves are wet! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I'm going to miss my 357xpg(stolen last month).I still have the 262 and 5100.It gets really cold here in the winter up here and I cut firewood during the winter.Fells so nice on the hands when it's about -20 celsius out.Yes,worth the 50$.

I have the OE 346XPG and rarely turn the heated handles on (been a couple years). I really don't like to cut when there is alot of snow...so I make sure I have all my wood in by the end of November.
I was able to get the "G" for the same price as w/o heated handles is why I got it. Did work nicely when gloves got wet/cold. Guess I'm fortunate and have good circulation b/c w/ the physical activity that goes along w/ cutting wood my hands always stay warm as long as I can keep them dry.
With all that said if you expect to cut in weather under 10 degrees, or have poor circulation then by all means get the heated handles.

its currently -30c here in northern saskatchewan and i really really wish i had heated handles on my saws.
every saw should have them IMO.

Heated handles are nice even when it's not cold, I mostly use it when my hands get wet.
But it helps prevent "white fingers" when cutting in cold weather so if you have the chance to buy a saw with heated handles go for it :)
you wont regret it !!

If your dealer has quite a few saws in stock you might be able to use it as a bargaining chip. Tell him you want the saw but you want the XPG for the XP price. Sure this post doesn't go over well w/ our dealer friends on the site.

Back