Yay! It's Here!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where does he sell? Ive looked at just about all his videos. Guy seems to know what hes doing. Except on his Husky rancher 55 vid he said it could handle a 24" bar i dunno about that.......

That old mac looks like a project you got there. If i was to get an old old saw i would get a Mac to redo. They just look and sound good!

On the bay. "Welcome to shop talk, what we have here today is...". Shows two vids instead of pics. One on his bench, video starts with the saw idling, next one shows him out cutting the cookie. Always tachs it, always checks exhaust temp. Even a Husky could handle a 24" bar in the pines.

Out here we cut mostly evergreen species of trees so a rancher 55 would have no problem with a 24" bar and skip tooth chain.

On the bay. "Welcome to shop talk, what we have here today is...". Shows two vids instead of pics. One on his bench, video starts with the saw idling, next one shows him out cutting the cookie. Always tachs it, always checks exhaust temp. Even a Husky could handle a 24" bar in the pines.

Well shoot i learn something every day! Probably wouldnt like a 24" bar in oak right lol?

A very kind member on here sent me a McCulloch Pro Mac 850 project saw. :) Thanks again rwoods!! :cheers: I have a few, well more than a few pics of the current status of the saw on my workbench. I will need a few parts, mainly a Zama C2 carb kit, and maybe crank seals, if any of you think I should replace them. I am open to all suggestions of what to do with it. Am I crazy to think of making the exhaust port a little wider? I'm so excited! :blob2: What to do?

Glad you got it. Check out Stinkbait's SP81 thread regarding the exhaust port. Were both carbs Zamas? I didn't look. Ron

Promac, Glad to see ya finally got it! Now we can all learn about these old Macs. I have a 300 in pretty good shape. I think I need points! Does yours have points?

Glad you got it. Check out Stinkbait's SP81 thread regarding the exhaust port. Were both carbs Zamas? I didn't look. Ron

Both carbs are Zamas. I carefully took the one from the corroded tank apart, and saved the gaskets and diaphrams. No damage to them either, so I should be able to reuse them. Will visit Stinkbait's thread. :cheers:

Promac, Glad to see ya finally got it! Now we can all learn about these old Macs. I have a 300 in pretty good shape. I think I need points! Does yours have points?

Electronic Ignition... says so on the cover, and has a coil. I heard points set up right and not pitted or corroded actually give a much hotter spark. Hope you find those points soon! Love hearing of old saws brought back to life so they can cut more big timber down. :)

In my note to you I believe I forgot to tell you that the front muffler stabilizer tap is wallowed out. You can probably take some center to center measurements off the old muffler to get the proper center for a re-tap. I am embarrassed to tell you how many hours I spent trying to get the broken off screw shaft out only to end up boogering up the hole. Ron

In my note to you I believe I forgot to tell you that the front muffler stabilizer tap is wallowed out. You can probably take some center to center measurements off the old muffler to get the proper center for a re-tap. I am embarrassed to tell you how many hours I spent trying to get the broken off screw shaft out only to end up boogering up the hole. Ron

I will have to look very closely tomorrow, don't be embarassed about screwing a screw hole... happens a lot. :) I will fix it either by re-tapping it, heli-coil, or time-sert.

Done it before on an aluminum oil pan for a Ford Focus... previous mechanic cross-threaded the drain plug during the oil change. Drill it out a bit, tap, and install the coil. Works very well.

Looked at Stinkbait's thread, and have a good idea of what I have to do. Thanks for the 850 again! :cheers:

I`m not an downer by nature, but I can`t see what you guys like about that saw: it is ugly and bulky as He@@.
on the other hand if it was mine,maybe I would have felt different.
anyway, I enjoyed the pic and looking forward for the vid.
i just hope you`ll choose at least an 25" log.
good luck man.
cheers

I`m not an downer by nature, but I can`t see what you guys like about that saw: it is ugly and bulky as He@@.
on the other hand if it was mine,maybe I would have felt different.
anyway, I enjoyed the pic and looking forward for the vid.
i just hope you`ll choose at least an 25" log.
good luck man.
cheers

Now, ugly and bulky as hell... I think you're referring to the Pro Mac 610... :) What most of us here like about these big old Macs is the fact that they are very durable, and will run forever. You can leave gas in the tank for three years, drain it out, and get it started in a few pulls.

IIRC, I think the 850 is about the same or a little more than the 610 in weight, and it will pull a much longer bar. These old Macs have much more torque than almost all of the newer saws, so you can bury the bar and it will keep cutting. I've buried the 20" bar on my 610 in a piece of poplar and it still kept cutting, the rpms didn't drop much. As you may know, poplar is the wood that chainsaws always seem to make dust with, even if they are razor sharp.

It's also a lot cheaper than going and buying a 395XP, used or new. I simply don't have that much money, and probably won't for a few years yet. I can afford to spend a few bucks to get this 850 running however, so that's why I'm liking it so much.

Went out there today to work on it some more before lunch time, which is now. :) Well, heinmannm was right about the handle bar being cracked under all of that old, no longer adhesive tape. He offered to look and see if he has one in his attic, so I will take him up on that offer... here is a pic.

View attachment 170903

Next up is the exhaust port traced onto the piston. The outside of the line + about .5mm is where the port edge is. Sorry, my sharpie is dull. :(

View attachment 170905

Finally, the exhaust port. If you look closely, you can see the casting flash and you will also see the port is actually a little lopsided. wtf? When I clean up the port, should I straighten that out, or was that intended to smooth the flow of gasses going around the bend to the muffler case? Advice would be appreciated.

View attachment 170904

Keep it coming promac610! Looks like fun.

ps. I don't see any PBR cans laying around on the bench...I thought this was a required ingredient when fixing old macs???

Keep it coming promac610! Looks like fun.

ps. I don't see any PBR cans laying around on the bench...I thought this was a required ingredient when fixing old macs???

PBR? What's that? Is it the PB blaster stuff? :confused:

For cleaning parts, I used a 3.5 gallon cheapo parts washer with paint thinner. Works very well. Pump works so far, lol. Hope I don't really need it the day the pump actually decides to take a #### on me. :)

I think I just figured it out... Pabst Blue Ribbon. I can't drink, silly. :silly: I'm 18! :laugh:

Give me some time and you'll see a few ME cans laying around...

I think I just figured it out... Pabst Blue Ribbon. I can't drink, silly. :silly: I'm 18! :laugh:

Give me some time and you'll see a few ME cans laying around...

Didn't know, don't want to incriminate you!

Hey go get some Simple Green from Home Depot mix it 50:50 with water, it will cut oil and saw dust like nobodys business and won't hurt the paint or decals at all.

Good Luck!

Didn't know, don't want to incriminate you!

Hey go get some Simple Green from Home Depot mix it 50:50 with water, it will cut oil and saw dust like nobodys business and won't hurt the paint or decals at all.

Good Luck!

Hehe... beer. Rather have a Monster personally. :cheers: Yes, I have had small tastes of various alcolholic beverages, and really don't care for them. Weird, isn't it?

Had Simple Green, went bad after staying out in the cold side of the barn... turned black and oozed out everywhere. :) I'm thinking Fast Orange might work good to at 50:50 mix with water. Anyone ever use Fast Orange to clean parts with paint on them?

Back