Yay! It's Here!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will have to give the Fast Orange a shot on those few parts that are too delicate to expose to paint thinner.

Anyone have any good advice about the exhaust port? I'm confused as to whether I need to straighten out the "lopsidedness" of the port. :help:

Hehe... beer. Rather have a Monster personally. :cheers: Yes, I have had small tastes of various alcolholic beverages, and really don't care for them. Weird, isn't it?

Nope not weird, to each his own they say...

Nope not weird, to each his own they say...

True saying. If people remember it as well as we do... the world might be a better place...

I'm going to head on out work some more. :) Looking at the pics Stinkbait put up on his SP81 thread, I'm thinking I will do the same with the port on my saw. Clean them up, and very slightly enlarge the width of the ports.

I thought it was hardwood... :(

lol, I'm happy I'm in the 80+cc club now. :) It'll definitely be a stride above the 610 I'm using now. :cheers:

Gonna have to order the Labonville full-wrap chaps and a full brim aluminum hard hat from Bailey's soon. :)
Congrats! But check out the full brim plastic hard hats too. The one avalancher is sending around the country is a nice unit.

Now, ugly and bulky as hell... I think you're referring to the Pro Mac 610... :) What most of us here like about these big old Macs is the fact that they are very durable, and will run forever. You can leave gas in the tank for three years, drain it out, and get it started in a few pulls.

IIRC, I think the 850 is about the same or a little more than the 610 in weight, and it will pull a much longer bar. These old Macs have much more torque than almost all of the newer saws, so you can bury the bar and it will keep cutting. I've buried the 20" bar on my 610 in a piece of poplar and it still kept cutting, the rpms didn't drop much. As you may know, poplar is the wood that chainsaws always seem to make dust with, even if they are razor sharp.

It's also a lot cheaper than going and buying a 395XP, used or new. I simply don't have that much money, and probably won't for a few years yet. I can afford to spend a few bucks to get this 850 running however, so that's why I'm liking it so much.

I've thought that about a number of saws. Then occasionally I come across an "ugly" saw. Once it is mine and in my hands, then it is just beautiful!

As far as oldies go I do like the macs. Good luck, great project.

I never ran one; I might just felt the same way.
i`m not loaded with money either. Hell, I bought a Chinese saw coz I didn`t afforded anything else and there was a job needed to be done.
I was really not judging. At all.

You don't meet the minimum age to post on here, sorry.:shock:

a' la hillbilly/southern accent: "Who assed u to poast dat in mah thread?" :shock:

Anyways, just got in from the minor porting and clean up, no pics at this time as the ports still need a little polishing... the ports are almost perfect, and when I'm done, should look almost exactly like Stinkbait's. (sorry for stealing your port designs Stinkbait)

Still have to get off my slightly overweight butt and drive over to HF to buy a little ultrasonic cleaner for the carb. :) I got done with one tin for the saw, and it looks very shiny, will post pics later... Got to love suspense, eh? :)

I never ran one; I might just felt the same way.
i`m not loaded with money either. Hell, I bought a Chinese saw coz I didn`t afforded anything else and there was a job needed to be done.
I was really not judging. At all.

It all will appear to you when you actually hold a McCulloch. I don't know exactly what it is, but there is just something special about them. Well, with how bad everything is nowadays, not much of us are loaded with money, lol. How's the Chi-com saw running? Is there a thread on it?

Congrats! But check out the full brim plastic hard hats too. The one avalancher is sending around the country is a nice unit.

Is avalancher sending one around to be signed? How do I get on that list? No one can go without the signature of Promac. :)

PM 850 rebuild

Niiiice, thin rings, You got replacements yet? let me know, cause I might have a pair. I mean I know I have a set, just not sure of the bore, I will need to measure them.

Niiiice, thin rings, You got replacements yet? let me know, cause I might have a pair. I mean I know I have a set, just not sure of the bore, I will need to measure them.

Yep, came with the saw. :) Thanks for the thought though! :cheers: I heard thin rings are the best... less friction on the cylinder wall. To be honest, how much horsepower do you gain from going to thin rings from thick rings? IMHO, almost nil. But, they are a heck of a lot easier to install and remove, so that probably is the biggest bonus. :)

Just got back in from cleaning up the driveway, the bottom of it got snowed on by the county plow. Almost done with porting job, just need to even out the exhaust port and polish the ports. :) Will post pics soon. :cheers:

Man, that Rwoods really put together a nice package for you! Check out an older post by gypo logger (now Yukonsawman), where he explains how to trim the intake side piston skirt to allow more air/fuel into the crankcase, durring intake. very quick mod, that gets nice results.
The post is two or more yrs old, I think he was working a stihl 440.

Man, that Rwoods really put together a nice package for you! Check out an older post by gypo logger (now Yukonsawman), where he explains how to trim the intake side piston skirt to allow more air/fuel into the crankcase, durring intake. very quick mod, that gets nice results.
The post is two or more yrs old, I think he was working a stihl 440.

Will look into his post. :cheers:

Spent an hour looking, haven't found it... will try again with stihl 440 as the search word...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back