Your "Special" saw...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
some fellas will laugh at mine....

my Remington Mighty Mite Bantam... little sucker starts without problems... just zings through campfire wood, limbs, pallets and never has ever let me down.

A somewhat forgotten Husqvarna 262XP that I bought off from a Pawn Shop that had an ad on Ebay for it. It only needed a couple parts and a little tweaking.......when I fired it up it was obvious the inner workings had been modified at least a little. The power to weight ratio is perfect, as a matter of fact I believe it would stand with a 372 or at least close.

Last edited:
For me it's Cécile, my MS180. She was my first saw, and immediately when I picked her up in the store, it was just like she was made for me and my thin-as-a-rail frame. I had never really thought about using a chainsaw, thinking they were all too heavy for me, but when I held this one I immediately felt I could do it. Now, I carry the slightly bigger Jonsered with me in the car everywhere I go, and that's the one I use. She's more powerful and I feel more confident with her, knowing she can get the job done, but Cécile will always be my first, my foremost and my favorite. The one that was made for me.

254XP...she's old, she's beaten but just love to run her. Won't win any beauty contests but she cuts right nicely for me.

I like the feel of all my saws and can't say I've run one that really felt bad but I would have to go with the 390xp, it just feels good in my hands and I really don't feel the weight difference between it and the 372 even with a slightly longer bar on it.

My OE 346! Sometimes my cutting partner has to tap it free from my hands after cutting with it since it fits me soooo perfectly!

Husky 346 and Stihl MS440. I have evolved to where these are my two main work saws. My 372 may be a little stronger than my 440, but I still prefer the 440. In all fairness though, I haven't run the 440 with the 460 topend against the 372 though. It won't really matter though. If I could only keep one, it would be the 440. IMHO, these two saws exhibit the best compromise of handling and power.

Their is a reason that I own more than one work saw. Different situations are best handled with different equipment. With that said, the 044 and 346xp will cover most situations. Both the 044 and 346 are superbly designed saws and are a pleasure to run.

MO-Iron

I will go with my 262XP, it's hard to find any faults with it....I guess times are leaving it behind a little. A great "one saw plan".

Figured this would make a good thread. What is that one saw in your herd that was made for your hands? I'm not talking sentiment, but that one saw that there is just some special chemistry with? Doesn't have to be a daily user, or even a go to saw... just one that seems to be made for your hands.
Mine is the Stihl 031AV...

No doubt I've got a good herd of work saws and each has its day in the sun, but in answer to the OP . . . ported 038M (with 3-port muff), day in and day out, just fits and feels the best. Not by much, though. We're talking very small differences. The 660 is a real ripper and well balanced with the 32-inch Sugihara, and the more I cut with that combo the closer it's creeping to the 038M.

Back