Your thoughts on this firewood processor..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OP here. I live almost in the national forest. The permit is only $20 for (4) full cords of wood. I can buy three permits a year for a total of 12 full cords of wood. That's pretty cheap firewood. But there just isn't any "easy" to retrieve wood in the forest. Starting next year, I'll probably start buying truckloads of logs.

This has nothing to do with processors, but I too buy wood from the Forrest Service, and we have the same rules. So I bend them a little by using a heavy duty pulley, strap it to a tree, and use it as a redirect to pull logs up to the road with my truck. So one end is connected to a strap on the log I want, the other end is connected to my truck, and the pulley to change the angle so I can keep my truck on the road per the rules. Works great on some logs, some you just have to use a wheelbarrow.
Dan

This has nothing to do with processors, but I too buy wood from the Forrest Service, and we have the same rules. So I bend them a little by using a heavy duty pulley, strap it to a tree, and use it as a redirect to pull logs up to the road with my truck. So one end is connected to a strap on the log I want, the other end is connected to my truck, and the pulley to change the angle so I can keep my truck on the road per the rules. Works great on some logs, some you just have to use a wheelbarrow.
Dan

OP here. I've thought of trying this. It would be a lot of work to constantly re-position the anchor points to re-direct the tree. But at least it isn't "grunt" work.

Don <><

OP here. I've thought of trying this. It would be a lot of work to constantly re-position the anchor points to re-direct the tree. But at least it isn't "grunt" work.

Don <><

Have you tried a deer cart yet? You could always resell it if it doesn't work.

Would the rules permit doing the same with a winch cable rather than having to drive the truck? 2" receivers at each end of the truck and the winch in a cradle. Using a synthetic braided rope would give you the same pull as a steel cable, longer range than moving the truck and be a heck of a lot lighter.

Would the rules permit doing the same with a winch cable rather than having to drive the truck? 2" receivers at each end of the truck and the winch in a cradle. Using a synthetic braided rope would give you the same pull as a steel cable, longer range than moving the truck and be a heck of a lot lighter.
If I continue to get wood from the forest, I'm gonna try some kind of winch. Cutting the downed tree in to 4 or 8 foot sections would make winching around obstacles easier.

I have the Wallenstein WP830 with the 6 way wedge and pivoting holder (though can't use it with my wrap style handle). I really like the winch to bring up the logs. I think it's rated around 22" max diameter. With the 6 way you can drop it all the way down for a 4 way and the 4 way will drop to a single wedge. The auto cycling action is great. The 22 gpm pump with the 4.5" cylinder moves fast enough. The out feed helps fill a truck or trailer.

View attachment 388488
i really like that set up dave.looks abiut perfect for a home owner or someone selling 30 or 40 cords a year. how long have you had that machine an how much do you process on average.

i really like that set up dave.looks abiut perfect for a home owner or someone selling 30 or 40 cords a year. how long have you had that machine an how much do you process on average.
I've only had it for about month. I've only put about 3 cord through it. With a standard hydraulic splitter I've done about 35-40 cord this year.

I have the Wallenstein WP830 with the 6 way wedge and pivoting holder (though can't use it with my wrap style handle). I really like the winch to bring up the logs. I think it's rated around 22" max diameter. With the 6 way you can drop it all the way down for a 4 way and the 4 way will drop to a single wedge. The auto cycling action is great. The 22 gpm pump with the 4.5" cylinder moves fast enough. The out feed helps fill a truck or trailer.

View attachment 388488
is that a conveyor or just a chute...the splitter pushes the splits up the chute?? ive been thinking about making something similar just wondering how well it works?

is that a conveyor or just a chute...the splitter pushes the splits up the chute?? ive been thinking about making something similar just wondering how well it works?
It's just a chute. It works very well. I want to add onto it or put some openings in it to let most of the trash fall through.

This is the unit a friend of mine bought for his business it is about 10k US$ but I have used it with him and it makes short work of his cutting. He and his partner are about your age and neither of them is wore out after using it. Many options.

This is the unit a friend of mine bought for his business it is about 10k US$ but I have used it with him and it makes short work of his cutting. He and his partner are about your age and neither of them is wore out after using it. Many options.

OP here. I was checking out this unit a few years back. Back then it was around 8 grand for just the basic unit. I like this machine!

Genesis It is very well made I can tell you that much. He has been using it quite a bit and it works very well. The sawdust is thrown on the landing where the logs are stacked and the wood kept clean. As I said they use it for a business and both gents put in a full day but have since added a conveyor belt and can load a small dump truck in no time. His is fitted with a 20 inch bar and chain .050 72 dl and it really does a good job on the hardwood they cut and split.

That is slick!!!!

Here's another video that was at the video collage of related items at the end. I think its from the manufacturer.

Back in 2011 I posted a thread asking for opinions on the Hud-Son Wolverine Model M firewood processor ($8195). Here's a link to that post: http://www.arboristsite.com/communi...n-the-hud-son-wolverine-model-m-10-13.183625/

Well its 3 years later, and I'm still looking at firewood processors. Found this one, and the price seems reasonable (starting at $5995 US dollars). Watch the videos. http://www.range-road.ca/index.html

This is just for personal (not commercial) use. I burn around 10 cords a year. I'm pushing 70. While I thoroughly enjoy making firewood, this ol bod can't do what it once could. So I'm looking for a way to prolong my passion.

Your thoughts??????

Thanks Guys,

Don <><
Dear Don,
was giving it some thought, what about e jackass or a horse with a cart/sleigh, ??

Dear Don,
was giving it some thought, what about e jackass or a horse with a cart/sleigh, ??

The firewood processor would be cheaper in the long run. Also the only thing that comes out of the processor is split firewood and saw dust. the horse/ass have a different by-product! LOL

the carrying part would be taken away from our friend "op", the forest don't care too much about manure:chop::chainsaw:

That's true. There are some local outfits here that haul the logs out by horse. I have often thought to try that with my mare. She is the right breed, Percheron but do not have the right harnesses LOL

If ya got the loot, the inclination and can get the logs delivered for what is acceptable to you, well..why not get one?

Of course, once you do a load and have mountains of splits easy..you'll get tempted to get another load, then another, stockpile it away for years in advance, and sell some.

Whoops, need some sort of loader now and a dump trailer..more toys, win/win!

Latest posts

Back