Bye Bye 540xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean80

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I've been having problems off and on with my 2 husky's. I have a 540xp and a 562xp. Both saws are amazing when they are running but if you can't restart them they are useless. I use stihls everyday at my work and have never seen these issues arise.
Cold starting either saw is fine, but once they get warm and sit a few minutes (especially on a hot day) they will not restart, even when setting the high idle. They worked great all spring, but today was the first warm day. Made a few cuts with the 540, shut it off repositioned in the tree, put saw in high idle, pull. No start. Pull pull pull. Hold throttle wide open. Starts after about 15 pulls. Make cuts and shut off. Reposition. High idle. Pull. No start. (I'm pissed now). Hold throttle and starts after 18 pulls. Repeat procedure. Keep in mind this has happened on multiple jobs now... Won't start again. Getting so mad pulling and pulling the pull cord rips off. Unclipped saw from harness and launch it from about 60ft. Got a 201t out of my coworkers truck and finish the job without an issue at all.

Get to the ground, cut a bunch of wood up with the 562. Cuts great. Shut it off and it sits about 2 minutes. Pick it up to cut a bit more. Put it in high idle like I always do. Do you think that saw would start? Nope.

I've had enough of this. You have to rely on these things to do a job and they won't start. I use stihls everyday single day and have never had this sort of trouble.

I know I let my temper get the best of me. I'm not proud of throwing it. But man is it ever frustrating. Anyone else have these problems?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Hold the 562 at WOT and pull it, that's how hot starts on those work, the 540 may need a little more fuel on the low side.

Believe me I've tried all different methods. The 562 will eventually start if you hold the throttle wide open and pull multiple times. I'm sorry but for the money I paid I shouldn't have to do that. These are supposed to be "professional grade" and that headache is far from it.

I use 201t's, ms260, 441 cm, m s660, 661 cm, ms880, 461cm's regularly and none of them have starting issues like my husky's. Sure stuff breaks on the stihls, but we beat the hell out of them.

I use 201t's, ms260, 441 cm, m s660, 661 cm, ms880, 461cm's regularly and none of them have starting issues like my husky's. Sure stuff breaks on the stihls, but we beat the hell out of them.

May I ask why you would buy the two Husqvarna's if you're a Stihl guy?

No doubt the AT saws start differently, but if you're having issues with both saws, IMHO it's your technique. It's just unlikely you have two bad saws.

May I ask why you would buy the two Husqvarna's if you're a Stihl guy?

No doubt the AT saws start differently, but if you're having issues with both saws, IMHO it's your technique. It's just unlikely you have two bad saws.
I said in my original post that my saws work fine until we get warm summer weather. I've quite a few jobs the past couple months without an issue. Today was the first hot day and they start doing the same thing they did last summer.

I work for a municipality. I bought husky so I don't get accused of taking my employers saws home for my own personal jobs.

Well if I had these issues I'd try and get them looked at, or sell them off too.

All you have to do is write down the serial numbers and you'll never confuse your saws with your employers saws.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

They've been into the dealer 4 or 5 times over the last couple years for this issue. All they say is it must be bad gas or "I've cut wood with a 562 and never had a problem.." Thought I would give husky a try because I heard/read good things about them. But I'm going in tomorrow to buy a 201tcm and a 441. I wouldn't say I'm a stihl guy, it's just what my employer buys.

Try giving it full full choke when it does that. If it works it's probably vapor locking.

This guy sounds well experienced with saws using them daily for work. I am sure he has read the manual and is not making newb mistakes with incorrect starting procedure. You simply don't hear of this issue with the Mtronic system, but time & time again guys mention this about their Husky with AT. I have a 550 & 555 that start/restart fine but I don't believe all the people with the exact same problem are newbs that have'nt read the manual. Especially when its happening to full time tree service workers. It would make me mad too, the work is hard enough with a perfect saw, one that won't restart when your high above ground charging a customer many hundred dollars per hour for your crew....that's annoying.

Why is it @SawTroll never participates in threads like this. He will jump in on any echo or dolmar thread toting how much better the husky is and is the only top notch saw and others are ..... well we all know his comments. I know how infuriated I would be if I where a guy asking for help and got told that I must not of read the manual.
Auto tune is supposed to make the operation of the saw easier.

Why is it @SawTroll never participates in threads like this. He will jump in on any echo or dolmar thread toting how much better the husky is and is the only top notch saw and others are ..... well we all know his comments. I know how infuriated I would be if I where a guy asking for help and got told that I must not of read the manual.
Auto tune is supposed to make the operation of the saw easier.

X2

My two AT saws have been flawless, but it seems as the op stated when you get a sudden change of weather/temperature the AT struggles. I have always felt the Mtronic system is a better system. As Andy mentioned, Husky has dealt with the issue poorly almost pretending it does not exist. I bet they know about it in more detail than any of us. Top handles need to start easy and be comfortable with lots of on/off operation. The ways an arborist is trained dictates this for safety. Husky make some of the best saws money can buy, IME their top handles have never been any good compared to other makes.

Husky dealers are quite independent on what they know and what they pursue in my observation. Does the OP let the saws idle before shut off? I have had two good AT Saws and one bad. What mix is the OP running? I have had success with 50 and 40:1 but heard 32:1 is a no go.

If you don't like it, please PM me and I'll consider taking the 562 off your hands.

I have a 562XP but never have any problem to start cold or hot. I start most of the time on hot.1st pull and always start.
But I never run out of gas from the reservoir.
Check my signature, i'm not a stihl or husky guy. I keep the good saw's.
I read that many members don't like the MS 170 or Husky 240. I use this 2 small saw's many time for up to 10" and they work great.

The 562xp gets too hot and Husky obviously knows about it - The newest 562xp's have a new breather gap cut into the top cover to better cool the cylinder. Also the muffler exhaust seems to hold too much heat next to the cylinder. Some are drilling the exhaust outlets larger.

Andyshine posted this previously:

562 top cover.jpg

Latest posts

Back