Bye Bye 540xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why is it @SawTroll never participates in threads like this. He will jump in on any echo or dolmar thread toting how much better the husky is and is the only top notch saw and others are ..... well we all know his comments. I know how infuriated I would be if I where a guy asking for help and got told that I must not of read the manual.
Auto tune is supposed to make the operation of the saw easier.
:bowdown: x3

Great thread. Years ago, I threw the vaulted stihl ms361 off the truck for the same reason. With multiple users, the stupid thing was flood city. Replaced it with a dolmar 5100 (red hot chili pepper) and never looked back. Replaced the dolmar with a 562xp in 2011. That saws has been thrashed, crashed, bashed and smashed and it has never missed a beat. The only difference between it and a normal cab saw is that it more often than not, it takes two pulls to start when warm. I don’t use the recommend throttle advance. I am so used to pulling the rope twice that I will do it now unconsciously with my other saws. I also own a 550xp. It starts, stops and restarts like any other saw. Great saws but apparently they do have a few hiccups. Good luck with the stihl line…. You will need it.

Well folks their may well be a reason Stihl owns the top handle market....and it ain't price as their most expensive. The market is usually a good judge of a product and resale prices reflect this.

I've been having problems off and on with my 2 husky's. I have a 540xp and a 562xp. Both saws are amazing when they are running but if you can't restart them they are useless. I use stihls everyday at my work and have never seen these issues arise.
Cold starting either saw is fine, but once they get warm and sit a few minutes (especially on a hot day) they will not restart, even when setting the high idle. They worked great all spring, but today was the first warm day. Made a few cuts with the 540, shut it off repositioned in the tree, put saw in high idle, pull. No start. Pull pull pull. Hold throttle wide open. Starts after about 15 pulls. Make cuts and shut off. Reposition. High idle. Pull. No start. (I'm pissed now). Hold throttle and starts after 18 pulls. Repeat procedure. Keep in mind this has happened on multiple jobs now... Won't start again. Getting so mad pulling and pulling the pull cord rips off. Unclipped saw from harness and launch it from about 60ft. Got a 201t out of my coworkers truck and finish the job without an issue at all.

Get to the ground, cut a bunch of wood up with the 562. Cuts great. Shut it off and it sits about 2 minutes. Pick it up to cut a bit more. Put it in high idle like I always do. Do you think that saw would start? Nope.

I've had enough of this. You have to rely on these things to do a job and they won't start. I use stihls everyday single day and have never had this sort of trouble.

I know I let my temper get the best of me. I'm not proud of throwing it. But man is it ever frustrating. Anyone else have these problems?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Hasn't this happened to us all one time or another(not at 60 feet up). I just have one question....did the guys in the ground piss themselves laughing after the coast was clear of any more airmail raining down from the tree?
When I was younger my older brother was working on his 70 something Olds Cutlass and got so mad he threw a pliers at the damn thing and it punched right threw the front fender and stuck right in their with one of its handles. We looked at each other in amazement and burst out laughing[emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38] . I still laugh thinking about that.
Some times, some of the worst moments make the greatest memories

Well folks their may well be a reason Stihl owns the top handle market....and it ain't price as their most expensive. The market is usually a good judge of a product and resale prices reflect this.
Well then Stihl plastic saws clearly are then superior to any of the pro dolmar, echo,efco,hitachi, etc. saws, because the resale prices reflect this...

7sleSt IHL post: 5864227 said:
Well then Stihl plastic saws clearly are then superior to any of the pro dolmar, echo,efco,hitachi, etc. saws, because the resale prices reflect this...

Yes I'd say stihl top handles are better than Hitachi, echo, dolmar, efco etc. They have been for many years. The price of a tidy ms200t is quite ridiculous, but those who earn a living holding one each day justify the expense.

I think the 441 is definitely in need of a new model release. When it first came out MT and strato's were the exception & not common. Designs have improved and there is no reason stihls 70cc saw could'nt be a favoured model like it was with the 440. I'd buy one if it lost some bulk and wieght.

Great thread. Years ago, I threw the vaulted stihl ms361 off the truck for the same reason. With multiple users, the stupid thing was flood city. Replaced it with a dolmar 5100 (red hot chili pepper) and never looked back. Replaced the dolmar with a 562xp in 2011. That saws has been thrashed, crashed, bashed and smashed and it has never missed a beat. The only difference between it and a normal cab saw is that it more often than not, it takes two pulls to start when warm. I don’t use the recommend throttle advance. I am so used to pulling the rope twice that I will do it now unconsciously with my other saws. I also own a 550xp. It starts, stops and restarts like any other saw. Great saws but apparently they do have a few hiccups. Good luck with the stihl line…. You will need it.

What happened to the Dolmar?

The 441 cm is my favourite saw out of all the saws we have at work. That's why I like the 562xp, it cuts like the 441 but is lighter which is nicer for climbing.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

I run the 562 and t540 in my tree service, the 540 might not be like a new 200t but it's a great saw. So is the 562. And your issues of them not starting hot are an issue the dealer could and with the correct dealer would fix. Don't give up on em just yet. Did you mention what fuel your using?

I run the 562 and t540 in my tree service, the 540 might not be like a new 200t but it's a great saw. So is the 562. And your issues of them not starting hot are an issue the dealer could and with the correct dealer would fix. Don't give up on em just yet. Did you mention what fuel your using?
I use shell premium with husqvarna oil. I mix it 50:1.

I use shell premium with husqvarna oil. I mix it 50:1.
Shell premium is 91 or 92 Octane and no ethanol - I use it also but recently heard that because its not on its own dedicated hose, you can get a significant amount of lower grade ethanol containing gas just because of the residual in the hose itself from one customer to the next. I now put the first 5 litres into my vehicle and then fill my jugs, to avoid any residual that may be lurking in the hose during the switch over.

Shell premium is 91 or 92 Octane and no ethanol - I use it also but recently heard that because its not on its own dedicated hose, you can get a significant amount of lower grade ethanol containing gas just because of the residual in the hose itself from one customer to the next. I now put the first 5 litres into my vehicle and then fill my jugs, to avoid any residual that may be lurking in the hose during the switch over.

In my neighborhood, all gas has ethanol except Avgas or recreational fuel. Part of the OP problem may stem from a winter blended gasoline. I would try Avgas and see what happens.

In my neighborhood, all gas has ethanol except Avgas or recreational fuel. Part of the OP problem may stem from a winter blended gasoline. I would try Avgas and see what happens.

I think that his dealer needs to fix the problem. These are high dollar saws and he's a working man that relies upon them. Quite frankly, this is BS. My saw runs on ethanol gas, his should as well.

I think that his dealer needs to fix the problem. These are high dollar saws and he's a working man that relies upon them. Quite frankly, this is BS. My saw runs on ethanol gas, his should as well.
I agree but he may have different gas, still winter formula, where he is at. It is a simple thing to try.

I agree but he may have different gas, still winter formula, where he is at. It is a simple thing to try.

True but I wouldn't bet on that solving his problem with his remaining saw. He sounds very savvy with regards to troubleshooting.

Latest posts

Back