Bye Bye 540xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very true. However is it do to air flow alone, lean tuning, or an inherent design flaw the Husky didn't understand at first? Remember most of the cooling is done by the incoming charge. I also believe the fuel primer setup has some impact when hot starting. I've fixed hot start issues on non AT equipment by bypassing the primer. If my 550 or 562 ever has this issue, that would be the first thing I would try.

Vapour lock issues can be minimised/prevented with tin foil stuck to card shielding fuel lines, carb & primer system but its a messy solution for a high dollar pro saw. I think the op would be best selling the 540 & buying a 201t. I'd persist with the 562, when running as it should they are about as good as it gets.

I just wonder if the "fast idle" is used when restarting those saws, like it should according to the manual - even when the saw is warm?

When dealing with this issue previously, I had mild success with cracking the fuel cap as soon as you shut off the 562. Then let it sit with the exhaust facing up to cool better. You don't have that ability when in the tree. Someone else mentioned letting the saw idle... you also don't do that in the tree. When taking a top out of a tree, that saw is shut off and brake engaged right as the top starts to go.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Sorry about your bad experience. If thinking buying new and including another brand the echo 355 has gotten exceptional reviews here! Extremely close to the top brands for quite a bit less money with a conventional engine setup.

Sorry about your bad experience. If thinking buying new and including another brand the echo 355 has gotten exceptional reviews here! Extremely close to the top brands for quite a bit less money with a conventional engine setup.

As mostly is the case with Echo saws, it is quite a bit down on power, more on T435 level than on T540xp level. How important that is, is of course up to the operator.

It has not yet been determined if the OP problem really is vapor lock or some other issue.

This is the time of year when I have the worst problem with vapor lock, even though it's not all that hot. None of my saws are AT, and I have the same issue with strato and non-strato. I personally don't think any of that matters as it's a heat soak issue wen the saw is not running - it's just a matter of hot the carb metal gets during heat soak.

While I do use E10, winter blend fuel also has added butane for easier vaporizing in cold weather, and that fuel is still in the system. It may well be that fuel blend is different in different regions and that this isn't a problem everywhere.

Changing state from liquid to gas is not a gradual process - a couple of degrees either way makes a big difference. You could be very close to boiling but not quite there and all would seem fine

As mostly is the case with Echo saws, it is quite a bit down on power, more on T435 level than on T540xp level. How important that is, is of course up to the operator.
Well thank you for your repetitive quote. When reputable chainsaw modders are asked about their experience with the 355 the answer is quite contrair to your experience with quoted numbers...
But then again I was just showing alternatives that have quite a good following but what do I know. I obviously can't read the numbers....

They've been into the dealer 4 or 5 times over the last couple years for this issue. All they say is it must be bad gas or "I've cut wood with a 562 and never had a problem.." Thought I would give husky a try because I heard/read good things about them. But I'm going in tomorrow to buy a 201tcm and a 441. I wouldn't say I'm a stihl guy, it's just what my employer buys.

Thought Stihl discontinued the 441...

Don't know much about a 540xp, but no way in hell I'd let go of a 562xp!!!

Ya, just got mine back from the shop and have to admit it will be hard to part with if it continues to act up. Mine ran like a top yesterday and restarted hot with no issues. fingers crossed it stays this way.

Andyshine ... did I read your post correctly a while back in another thread that the 562 has a new *updated cylinder as well? If so then I must have it now - new cylinder and piston was installed.

I have a 54" walk behind mower that I'd like to haul up a tree and throw it from 60' from time to time. Same issue. Works fine till its hot out. Then doesn't like to restart once hot. Once it does fire, it runs perfect. I'm equally puzzled as are two different shops. This is on a 25hp Kawasaki engine. I've gone through the carb, adjusted the valves, and paid to have them both checked... Nada clue. At 800 lbs, it'll be tougher to get it up the tree, but likely very satisfying to drop.

I have a 54" walk behind mower that I'd like to haul up a tree and throw it from 60' from time to time. Same issue. Works fine till its hot out. Then doesn't like to restart once hot. Once it does fire, it runs perfect. I'm equally puzzled as are two different shops. This is on a 25hp Kawasaki engine. I've gone through the carb, adjusted the valves, and paid to have them both checked... Nada clue. At 800 lbs, it'll be tougher to get it up the tree, but likely very satisfying to drop.
I'd rig up a 12V electronics fan moving air across the carb.

Knock a small hole in the top cover and see if that helps
...???

I have a 54" walk behind mower that I'd like to haul up a tree and throw it from 60' from time to time. Same issue.

LOL - Please take a video of the event -LOL - You'll make a bundle off youtube clicks!
My kids have fond recollection of my launching a Printer off our porch some years back. These events take on a life of their own :D - sadly there was no video to exploit, just the fond memory of their father (moi) in an explosive tirade and the choice expletives embedded in my kids memories.

Launched from 60ft up[emoji23][emoji23] . Laughed till my guts hurt when I read this last night how many four letter words said before it hit the ground ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I sort of regretted it just as it hit the ground lol. It's definitely got some broken parts on it. It was leaking fuel out of the tank. Just shows how maddening and frustrating it is though. I should have lowered it down and sold it. Should have seen the guys face at the dealer when I told him the story...

Back