Dolmar 5100 Cylinder Problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are dead wrong. Do you really think the average buyer that just wants a saw is going to come here and read all this BS, no way. The hardcore saw junkies on this site is so small compared to the full buying public its a joke. Pro saws aren't the big sellers in the USA, the homeowner saws are by a huge margin. If saw companies had to rely on pro saw sales alone they would all be out of business. The true pros that use saws for a living in the USA market have cut the market to two brands, Stihl and Husky. Dolmar isn't even considered a player by the two big boys, thats a fact.

You say you know marketing. You have to know to the average buyer of chainsaws, the biggest market in the USA, could care less about chainsaws or this site. They want a saw, not a bunch hardcore saw junkies telling them what to buy. The biggest part of the buying saw market in the USA , the homeowner market, consider saw junkies ignorant for thier love of chainsaws, they don't understand it and think its stupid for a man to own 20 saws. The manufactures know this as well. This is the last place a average saw buyer is going to come for saw info.

To prove my point do you see anyone from Dolmar coming in here to chim in on this thread, no. I've never seen anyone from Husky come in when a bad thread is about their saws and I have never seen anyone from Stihl come in when a bad thread is going on about their saws. They could all care less about the junkie saw crowd. In fact these companies despise the kinda non-sense that takes place on these sites. Who's lying, who's telling the truth, who's bias, who's not, nothing more than a AOL chatroom where you can say anything. People aren't stupid, they know what takes place on these forums are 90% bias BS. The saw manufactures know it too.

You are correct however that this site is seen around the world but not by the majority of the buying public but mostly by saw junkies, the tiny small crowd in the big world of chainsaw buyers..

:yourock::agree2: You are exactly right :cheers:

I still don't understand how you have the stomac to sell MS290s, when the 280 is out there.....:givebeer::givebeer:

You are just proving Tommy right about his post, that no one listens to any saw junkies on AS. Be they the saw companies, or the typical buyers. The MS290 is the NUMBER ONE $ELLING $tihl chain$aw.

Marketing rule #1: never, ever mess with the golden goose as long as she is laying golden eggs (unless the EPA forces you to).

One point I would also add to Tommy's essay is that the big saw companies do not advertize here. Seemingly with exception of Jonsered, they do not see a big enough market here to bother with us. If we as a group had any kind of influence what-so-ever, they would be here.

Last edited:
I still don't understand how you have the stomac to sell MS290s, when the 280 is out there.....:givebeer::givebeer:

Now why you say that, the 290 is about as trouble free as any saw made. True its on the heavy side for the power it puts out. True it has very little in way of a vibration system or super clean filtration system but but my friend, guess what, the people that buy it aren't into chainsaws at all. They just want a saw and some service behind it. The rest they could care less about.

Many buyers can't jusify the cost of a 280 over a 290 because they just want a saw, the rest doesn't matter to them. The sales of the 290 over the years proves beyond a shadow of doubt a chainsaw to most people is a tool and nothing more. They aren't like us SawTroll. Must always remember in the big picture we saw nuts like you and me are such a small crowd we don't really even count anymore. There was a time when pro's lead the field but not anymore. Times have change and to survive in todays market you gotta build what the biggest portion of the saw buyers want and most saw buyers don't want a pro chainsaw, they rather have a plain Jane 290. The overwhelming proof is in the numbers. Among the big three, Stihl, Husky and Dolmar, saw to saw no saw outsells the 290 in the USA, the biggest chainsaw market in the world. The cheap Poulans may outsell it which once again proves homeowners rule the saw market here nowdays, not the pro's.

Finally and foremost the failure rate on the 290 based on how many is sold is as good as any pro saw outthere, thats saying quite alot considering the type of people using the 290

Now come on over and pick up this shiny 290, I got it all shined up for ya and for you only 369.95,LOLOL

Last edited:
You are dead wrong. Do you really think the average buyer that just wants a saw is going to come here and read all this BS, no way.

Thought I'd chime back in again. I didn't realize the can of worms I'd be opening in starting this thread!! :)

I may not be like the average customer but I'm by no means a chainsaw fanatic. In fact, this Dolmar 5100 is the first saw that I've purchased (always borrowed others in the past). If I ever make a big purchase I almost always research it first on the Internet. If I see a bunch of bad reviews, I avoid the product. Well, when I decided to get my own chainsaw, I started doing a little searching for a good saw in the 50cc range. It did not take long at all for my searches to lead here (a site I'd never heard of) and I began to read all the raving about the 5100, which was just the size I was looking for and had a pretty good price. I then tried to search for problems with the 5100 and at the time couldn't really find much except maybe a few people who it seems may have been misusing the saw. If I had found a thread like this back then, I most likely would have been concerned enough to avoid the Dolmar and just go with a Stihl or possibly Husky. I think there may be more and more people like me out there. It's so easy to get on Google and look up product reviews. And I often find that I can learn a lot more on-line than from a salesperson, who generally is looking out for their own bottom-line first.

At any rate, I have the saw back now and realized that I really do like cutting with this saw. It's the perfect size and it can really cut. We cut up an old elm today and it worked great for everything from limbing to cutting through the bigger 2'-3' diameter pieces. I guess I'm hoping that the problem came from the mixture running too lean and that by setting it richer and just making sure the saw isn't getting to hot I won't have that problem again. If this is the case, I'd probably be more upset with the EPA than with Dolmar. Maybe we could make a new T-shirt: Save the Environment -- Burn up your engine!

353 husky is a good saw but I would take the 5100 over it! By the way I am still wanting those burnt up dolmar saws at $50 each! I just need to know were to send the check:greenchainsaw:

I may not be like the average customer but I'm by no means a chainsaw fanatic. In fact, this Dolmar 5100 is the first saw that I've purchased...

I'd probably be more upset with the EPA than with Dolmar. Maybe we could make a new T-shirt: Save the Environment -- Burn up your engine!

Same story here, except mine hasn't burnt up. I've seen what the EPA has done to off-road motorcycles. The 4-strokes are so choked up (lean) from the factory that it's rediculous. I have a tee shirt that's kinda obnoxious to most folks. "Forget the whales. Save the 2-strokes !" LOL
Enjoy your screamer. I am.
I'm just Joe Homeowner but I've learned the hard lessons of buying cheap ****. Thanks to the 'net I ended up here and read about what a good saw is before going the HD route.

Last edited:
You would think with all these problems with a 5100 we would have seen some around here. There are alot of them in this area, 50 or so is my guess probably more. My brother and I have several. But a newbie putting bar oil in the gas tank I believe was the only problem encountered with any of them. Hard to blame the saw for that one.

Last edited:
353 husky is a good saw but I would take the 5100 over it! By the way I am still wanting those burnt up dolmar saws at $50 each! I just need to know were to send the check:greenchainsaw:

Try $200.00 and you will get more responses. Same for the 346s.

Are there any burnt supposedly "Pro" saws that you would not buy for $50.00.

How about this, any burnt pro saws you get in get posted here for $50.00.

If you are going to be cheap, then you might as well ask for free, that is what Dolmar seems to do.

What does a new gas tank go for on a 5100? How about all the other parts off the saw.

Dolmar is circling the wagons around there own demise, again. Different decade, different personal, same crap service and same crap distribution. Will not be long before reconditioned ones hit Odd Lots and the truck sales.
Shame really as they can make a good saw just wish they would get the company some legitimate reps. and management.

I agree with JustSaws.....I believe they make an on par product compared to the others, but their infrastructure is severely lacking. I'm the proud owner of two new dolmar hats sent to me by a higher up in Dolmar...while a buddy of mine, who was a dolmar dealer, wasn't able to get any marketing merchandise after several attempts. He is also still waiting to be paid for warranty work. Just for the record...I do not currently own an dolmar saws and I have never purchased any new dolmar saws.

Well what you guys are saying about dolmar being crap and no service just does not fly here! They have been outstanding and I have had no troubles getting all of my dolmars fixed which when it comes to the 5100 has only been two saws! Both of those saws were customer related destruction and they being dolmar backed those saws when they really should not have! If they are junk saws and there are all these 5100's and everything blown up I would give $50 for your Junk Dolmars! I think that a lot of us on here are having a hard time with all the numbers of junk saws!:confused:

Well what you guys are saying about dolmar being crap and no service just does not fly here! They have been outstanding and I have had no troubles getting all of my dolmars fixed which when it comes to the 5100 has only been two saws! Both of those saws were customer related destruction and they being dolmar backed those saws when they really should not have! If they are junk saws and there are all these 5100's and everything blown up I would give $50 for your Junk Dolmars! I think that a lot of us on here are having a hard time with all the numbers of junk saws!:confused:

:agree2:

Back