Dolmar 5100 Cylinder Problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still don't understand how you have the stomac to sell MS290s, when the 280 is out there.....:givebeer::givebeer:

You are just proving Tommy right about his post, that no one listens to any saw junkies on AS. Be they the saw companies, or the typical buyers. The MS290 is the NUMBER ONE $ELLING $tihl chain$aw.

Marketing rule #1: never, ever mess with the golden goose as long as she is laying golden eggs (unless the EPA forces you to).

what Windy said,,, and.. PRICE! The 290 is cheaper....

Now why you say that, the 290 is about as trouble free as any saw made. True its on the heavy side for the power it puts out. True it has very little in way of a vibration system or super clean filtration system but but my friend, guess what, the people that buy it aren't into chainsaws at all. They just want a saw and some service behind it. The rest they could care less about.

Many buyers can't jusify the cost of a 280 over a 290 because they just want a saw, the rest doesn't matter to them. The sales of the 290 over the years proves beyond a shadow of doubt a chainsaw to most people is a tool and nothing more. They aren't like us SawTroll. Must always remember in the big picture we saw nuts like you and me are such a small crowd we don't really even count anymore. There was a time when pro's lead the field but not anymore. Times have change and to survive in todays market you gotta build what the biggest portion of the saw buyers want and most saw buyers don't want a pro chainsaw, they rather have a plain Jane 290. The overwhelming proof is in the numbers. Among the big three, Stihl, Husky and Dolmar, saw to saw no saw outsells the 290 in the USA, the biggest chainsaw market in the world. The cheap Poulans may outsell it which once again proves homeowners rule the saw market here nowdays, not the pro's.

Finally and foremost the failure rate on the 290 based on how many is sold is as good as any pro saw outthere, thats saying quite alot considering the type of people using the 290

Now come on over and pick up this shiny 290, I got it all shined up for ya and for you only 369.95,LOLOL

Better that they buy a 290 than walking out the door for a wildthing!!!

Sure, I know - just had to make the point......

:cheers:

You are dead wrong. Do you really think the average buyer that just wants a saw is going to come here and read all this BS, no way. ..blah...blah.... The true pros that use saws for a living in the USA market have cut the market to two brands, Stihl and Husky. Dolmar isn't even considered a player by the two big boys, thats a fact.

You say you know marketing. ...blah...blah.

To prove my point do you see anyone from Dolmar coming in here to chim in on this thread, no....blah...blah..... People aren't stupid, they know what takes place on these forums are 90% bias BS. The saw manufactures know it too.

You are correct however that this site is seen around the world but not by the majority of the buying public but mostly by saw junkies, the tiny small crowd in the big world of chainsaw buyers..

Seems from the follow on comments and from my own example there is a tangible impact to these threads to the "Homeowner Types" as well. For that matter I would suggest that these sites are growing the "enthusiast/ CAD junkies" population. I came here four or so years ago when trying to decide what "mid-sized" saw to buy...I ended up with a 365 husky and a real bad case of CAD! I'm typical of the current trend among most HOMEOWNER type buyers. If they don't have a clear understanding, and the size of the purchase makes a dent on your budget; they research that purchase. The internet is the prime driver here.

Marketing? I have lived thru and been a part the transition from European Motocross race motorcycles to the Japanese domination of all forms of racing..and watched KTM & Ducati muscle in now with tried and true tactics. I have been in that motorsports business myself. I've also lived thru and been a part of the rise AND fall of the major Cad/Cam companies of the 1970's and 1980. I was a part of the effort to drive the cost down and funtionallity up of the companies that TOOK down the big guys. A very integral part I might add. Life experience is a wonderful thing. So now I really enjoy saws..and guess what..Now I can sit on the side lines with no skin in the game and OBJECTIVELY watch history repeat itself yet again. You can't.

I certainly understand how things change and how to effect change. I also understand Pro saws, like racing motorcycles may make a smaller percentage of a companies sales than home owner sales BUT they are a business unto themselves or they wouldn't exist AND they CAN (But not always) be a sales image leader as with Husqvarna/Honda/Stihl/Suzuki/KTM. Key to market success in racing and probably Pro Saw's, is performance, reliability, and results first, then a strong loyal following (both dealers and customers) that can be referenced to grow market share. Many times a company breaking in will focus on a small area and market to "get it right" before going national. (KTM & Enduro/offroad)

Back to the point. The internet has changed the marketing game as it is a low cost way of spreading the message FAST, right to the place where those looking want that info. AT home. AND more people, especially the HOME OWNER type's go to the internet for the first cut of research data, what they find here can effect their buying decision. Period. I know as a dealer/insider industry type with success...you don't understand why the non educated potential buyer's in your area of expertise, don't come and pay homage to your immense knowledge and experience on the subject at YOUR place vs THEIR'S first! (Where YOU feel powerful and strong vs. where THEY feel in control)

Wait..an epiphany..you're online too! And looks like Stihl is morphing away from simply the dealer's store as the main carrier of the message..AND they have a really neat website with a SAW CHOICE calculator..and More and more of the dealers are..online with website. The killer is when you use a search engine for Dolmars 5100s..you end up with listing on the first or second page of the results pointing..here. The researcher finds equal posts for and against the issue; Dolmar takes a hit for the slice in time this shows up in search engines. Then in the same posting, the researcher see's the "light"! Industry experts talking about the tried and true Stilh/Husky or what ever; and the focus of the research changes for THAT prospective buyer and most "Homeowner Types" who visit this thread.

As for the argument that the big guys don't advertise here with conventional "Bill Board" adds? WHY would they when they can spend nothing and have an adaptive advertisement program funded by the time of advocates? Why spend the money when your board member dealers do your work for you? Let the ones on the fringe do that spending thing as they DON"T have advocates yet..It sounds less biased, more credible from the little guy on the bleeding edge anyway!

AND if you don't think they lurk and participate..your not paying attention! Actually my guess is you will find a way to continue bending this thread back to a discussion of Stihl's in the $300-$400 price range. Lets replace the slap against Dolmar with a few plugs for MS290's like a good company man who understands the impact of..these WEBSITES!

Last edited:
AND if you don't think they lurk and participate..your not paying attention! Actually my guess is you will find a way to continue bending this thread back to a discussion of Stihl's in the $300-$400 price range. Lets replace the slap against Dolmar with a few plugs for MS290's like a good company man who understands the impact of..these WEBSITES!

You are paranoid and dilusional if you believe that crap. Oh, Hi there Stihl! (waiving at them reading AS posts) We are not plugging the MS290 for its idealistic qualities. Lakeside is secretly hording 290s saws and parts for selling in the post EPA ban era. We are saying it is the best selling saw, DESPITE our opinions about the saw, good or bad, which is the point that the Troll and Thall are making. Troll really works in a factory in Sweden churning out Husky saws, and he is secretly priming threads here to bolster sales in the US... Well, actually Thall is saying that it is a pretty good saw, for the money. Tom Hall is really an agent for Stihl, to channel all threads and conversations on AS toward the $300-400 price range and thwart Trolls efforts to improve Husky sales in the US.

Its all moot though. Me here, churning out propaganda for the United Stihl Movement, an underground group working to assure that Stihl dominates the global chainsaw market with MS 290 sales. You see, 2010 EPA regulations will make 95% of the saws we are using now and talking about obsolete.

Beware of the chainsaw agents and the lurkers! They are everywhere!If you do not pay attention, you will be taken over by the Dark Side and be mezmorized by the rising forums into buying the MS290 type chainsaws...!

Last edited:
That made my day

You are paranoid and dilusional if you believe that crap. Oh, Hi there Stihl! (waiving at them reading AS posts) We are not plugging the MS290 for its idealistic qualities. Lakeside is really hording 290s saws for selling in the post EPA ban era. We are saying it is the best selling saw, DESPITE our opinions about the saw, good or bad, which is the point that the Troll and Thall are making. Troll really works in a factory in Sweden churning out Husky saws, and he is secretly priming threads here to bolster sales in the US...

Its all moot though. Me here, churning out propaganda for the United Stihl Movement, an underground group working to assure that Stihl dominates the global chainsaw market with MS 290 sales. You see, 2010 EPA regulations will make 95% of the saws we are using now and talking about obsolete. Tom Hall is really an agent for Stihl, to channel all threads and conversations on AS toward the $300-400 price range).

LOL
:smoking:

Hey, wait a minute, isn't the 5100s a $400 chainsaw? :monkey:

Oh, that's right, they are not Stihls.

Do not forget to buy a 290 today!

Last edited:
Well what you guys are saying about dolmar being crap and no service just does not fly here! They have been outstanding and I have had no troubles getting all of my dolmars fixed which when it comes to the 5100 has only been two saws! Both of those saws were customer related destruction and they being dolmar backed those saws when they really should not have! If they are junk saws and there are all these 5100's and everything blown up I would give $50 for your Junk Dolmars! I think that a lot of us on here are having a hard time with all the numbers of junk saws!:confused:

Go back and read all threads started buy Funky saw dude .....It will help under stand him .....

You are paranoid and dilusional if you believe that crap. Oh, Hi there Stihl! (waiving at them reading AS posts) We are not plugging the MS290 for its idealistic qualities. Lakeside is secretly hording 290s saws and parts for selling in the post EPA ban era. We are saying it is the best selling saw, DESPITE our opinions about the saw, good or bad, which is the point that the Troll and Thall are making. Troll really works in a factory in Sweden churning out Husky saws, and he is secretly priming threads here to bolster sales in the US... Well, actually Thall is saying that it is a pretty good saw, for the money. Tom Hall is really an agent for Stihl, to channel all threads and conversations on AS toward the $300-400 price range and thwart Trolls efforts to improve Husky sales in the US.

Its all moot though. Me here, churning out propaganda for the United Stihl Movement, an underground group working to assure that Stihl dominates the global chainsaw market with MS 290 sales. You see, 2010 EPA regulations will make 95% of the saws we are using now and talking about obsolete.

Beware of the chainsaw agents and the lurkers! They are everywhere!If you do not pay attention, you will be taken over by the Dark Side and be mezmorized by the rising forums into buying the MS290 type chainsaws...!

:cheers::cheers::yourock:

I probably should this is the only one I have paid much attention to and just find it hard to beleve the numbers!:jawdrop: I cannot understand why he has such a huge number of failure when I do not! It is very :confused: to me!

I am still trying to solve the mystery of the stolen 361xp design.....

353 husky is a good saw but I would take the 5100 over it! By the way I am still wanting those burnt up dolmar saws at $50 each! I just need to know were to send the check:greenchainsaw:

Ill up the bid! I will give 51.00 for all of their dolmars! I hate to see guys upset so just let me know what you have! Especially the running ones I would hate for you guys to have nightmares about the sound of that junk dolmar in your garage, Ill make sure you never have to see them again! Just trying to help! [ Maybe Therapy!]

Hah! You see? The Troll that Came in from the Cold :smoking: is trying to win me over by using flattery. Its spy vs spy on this site! The propoganda is embedded everywhere :Eye: Doublespeak is the rule. Be safe and stick with the WildThing saw really means buy a big ass honkin' 880.

Last edited:
Well what you guys are saying about dolmar being crap and no service just does not fly here! They have been outstanding and I have had no troubles getting all of my dolmars fixed which when it comes to the 5100 has only been two saws! Both of those saws were customer related destruction and they being dolmar backed those saws when they really should not have! If they are junk saws and there are all these 5100's and everything blown up I would give $50 for your Junk Dolmars! I think that a lot of us on here are having a hard time with all the numbers of junk saws!:confused:

You are correct... You may have awesome service from your Dolmar dealer. The point we are making, is that dealer support is sporadic and splotchy.

And to be in denial that the mighty 5100 can't fail?.. Well, that's just silly. My distributer has had one 7900 come in for warranty (according to them), and it was a factory flub. A piece of something was left in the jug from assembly at the factory, and bounced around in the jug, until it was coughed up into the muffler. They simply gave the customer a new saw.

You guys can rail on Forrest (Funky) all you want... It doesn't change the fact that they've had problems with the saws, and chitty support from the distributer. And he's not the only dealer to say it in this thread. Unless you are a dealer, and have direct contact with the distributors in question... Your opinion on the matter is rather meaningless.

Opinion is great... As long as it's based on fact and experience.

Well I appreciate your view however You do not have the facts on ME! :) Yes I have a great dealer I have know him all of my life litterally!!:monkey: In fact my dealer use to work for a Dolmar distribator! Imagine the that! If this was a problem with this saw I think I would have heard about it being nationwide not just regional!

Seems from the follow on comments and from my own example there is a tangible impact to these threads to the "Homeowner Types" as well. For that matter I would suggest that these sites are growing the "enthusiast/ CAD junkies" population. I came here four or so years ago when trying to decide what "mid-sized" saw to buy...I ended up with a 365 husky and a real bad case of CAD! I'm typical of the current trend among most HOMEOWNER type buyers. If they don't have a clear understanding, and the size of the purchase makes a dent on your budget; they research that purchase. The internet is the prime driver here.

Marketing? I have lived thru and been a part the transition from European Motocross race motorcycles to the Japanese domination of all forms of racing..and watched KTM & Ducati muscle in now with tried and true tactics. I have been in that motorsports business myself. I've also lived thru and been a part of the rise AND fall of the major Cad/Cam companies of the 1970's and 1980. I was a part of the effort to drive the cost down and funtionallity up of the companies that TOOK down the big guys. A very integral part I might add. Life experience is a wonderful thing. So now I really enjoy saws..and guess what..Now I can sit on the side lines with no skin in the game and OBJECTIVELY watch history repeat itself yet again. You can't.

I certainly understand how things change and how to effect change. I also understand Pro saws, like racing motorcycles may make a smaller percentage of a companies sales than home owner sales BUT they are a business unto themselves or they wouldn't exist AND they CAN (But not always) be a sales image leader as with Husqvarna/Honda/Stihl/Suzuki/KTM. Key to market success in racing and probably Pro Saw's, is performance, reliability, and results first, then a strong loyal following (both dealers and customers) that can be referenced to grow market share. Many times a company breaking in will focus on a small area and market to "get it right" before going national. (KTM & Enduro/offroad)

Back to the point. The internet has changed the marketing game as it is a low cost way of spreading the message FAST, right to the place where those looking want that info. AT home. AND more people, especially the HOME OWNER type's go to the internet for the first cut of research data, what they find here can effect their buying decision. Period. I know as a dealer/insider industry type with success...you don't understand why the non educated potential buyer's in your area of expertise, don't come and pay homage to your immense knowledge and experience on the subject at YOUR place vs THEIR'S first! (Where YOU feel powerful and strong vs. where THEY feel in control)

Wait..an epiphany..you're online too! And looks like Stihl is morphing away from simply the dealer's store as the main carrier of the message..AND they have a really neat website with a SAW CHOICE calculator..and More and more of the dealers are..online with website. The killer is when you use a search engine for Dolmars 5100s..you end up with listing on the first or second page of the results pointing..here. The researcher finds equal posts for and against the issue; Dolmar takes a hit for the slice in time this shows up in search engines. Then in the same posting, the researcher see's the "light"! Industry experts talking about the tried and true Stilh/Husky or what ever; and the focus of the research changes for THAT prospective buyer and most "Homeowner Types" who visit this thread.

As for the argument that the big guys don't advertise here with conventional "Bill Board" adds? WHY would they when they can spend nothing and have an adaptive advertisement program funded by the time of advocates? Why spend the money when your board member dealers do your work for you? Let the ones on the fringe do that spending thing as they DON"T have advocates yet..It sounds less biased, more credible from the little guy on the bleeding edge anyway!

You make some good valid points but you miss my overall point concerning the average chainsaw buyer, the biggest buying population in this country. They don't care about chainsaws period. They're usually buying one not because they want one but becasue they have to have one for some type of reason. To them a chainsaw is nothing more than a hammer or any other tool. Don't see any hammer forums do you but I bet every household in America has a hammer in it or nearby somewhere. Most households that have a chainsaw have one, not 10,15,50 or more like the saw guys on this site.

Sites like this are for the chainsaw junkies, the guys that really dig chainsaws. I admit I'm one of them as are just about every poster in this forumn. True, like you point out, some come here to lurk and see what all the saw nuts are saying. However if you read it closely its obvious there is so much bias among the posters it would be awful hard for a man to take away any good wealth of knowledge as to what saw to buy. He could get some good info on how to fix a saw he's having issues with but as to what to buy this site would drive that buyer insane from all the bias.

I realise too the internet has changed alot of things in how people buy. The net is a awesome tool but BS and bias is not. To prove my point I've sent over 3000 units out the door in the last couple of years and not one, mind ya now, not one single customer ever mention AS at all. Fair to say they have probably never heard of it and since they are buying a what they consider a "tool" they could care less.

Far as the big companies view of these boards, unlike you I know the view of the one such big company. I sell their products and I can assure you they frown upon the non-sense that goes takes place on these forumns. Any company with any sense would as well for the same reason, too much BS and bias. You say why would they spend any money in here when they got us doing the advertising for them, wrong once again. They don't have time to be defending every whimper like what is going on in this thread here or all over this board. My 5100 is great, well mine is a POS, well my 346 will outcut your 5100, it will not and blah blah blah. Manufactures are in the biz to make money, not defend every little boo hoo from some saw guru aguring with another saw fanatic. I can assure you the 50 million Stihl spent in advertising last year will wipe out any complaints seen these forumns and reach more people in one hour than this forumn will reach in one or two years. I know you don't agree with me that guys like you and me are the small crowd among the big picture but we are. The makers were selling saws long before the internet and AS. If they lost every sale generated on this forumn among the saw junkies it would be so small it probably wouldn't even registered with them at all.

You are very correct on one thing, yes I'm on this forum like you and many others. Why, to me, like you and many others, a chainsaw is more than just a tool. We fancy it, we talk about them, we like them, we argu over them, sometimes we get down and dirty and fight over them. That my friend is exactly why I said to the average buying pulbic, the biggest buying population in this country, look at us and think we are ignorant,LOLOLOL
Think about it, grown men fussing over what, a chainsaw, whats wrong with them people,LOLOL

Back to this thread relax. This thread will not alter Dolmar at all. Dolmar has much bigger fish to fry than to be bothered with some thread on the internet floating around saw junkies griping about their saws. If 2009 remains like the last few months of 2008 Dolmars problems will be much much bigger than this thread. A 100 million dollar wordwide company is tiny, very very small. I don't think they're wiggle room is gonna be near as much as Stihl and Husky to survive in these tuff economic times, we shall see. If 2009 is anything like the last of 2008 this could be the year when the big dogs push the little dogs over the edge. How far Makita will pump money into Dolmar remains to be seen in these hard times. Makita saved Dolmar from disappearing once but times are tuff now. I personally hope Dolmar survives these hard times and comes out looking good. We saw nuts need to have more brands to argu and fuss over.............

You are correct... You may have awesome service from your Dolmar dealer. The point we are making, is that dealer support is sporadic and splotchy.

And to be in denial that the mighty 5100 can't fail?.. Well, that's just silly. My distributer has had one 7900 come in for warranty (according to them), and it was a factory flub. A piece of something was left in the jug from assembly at the factory, and bounced around in the jug, until it was coughed up into the muffler. They simply gave the customer a new saw.

You guys can rail on Forrest (Funky) all you want... It doesn't change the fact that they've had problems with the saws, and chitty support from the distributer. And he's not the only dealer to say it in this thread. Unless you are a dealer, and have direct contact with the distributors in question... Your opinion on the matter is rather meaningless.

Opinion is great... As long as it's based on fact and experience.

i am not a dolmar dealer. matter of fact i have only ever seen one dolmar saw.
the shoddy distributer network is not at question. this does not change the fact that "funky's" numbers seem funky.

Last edited:

Well I appreciate your view however You do not have the facts on ME! :) Yes I have a great dealer I have know him all of my life litterally!!:monkey: In fact my dealer use to work for a Dolmar distribator! Imagine the that! If this was a problem with this saw I think I would have heard about it being nationwide not just regional!

I'm not knock'n ya bro... I'm just trying to point out that we (PNW) have different distributors... And they aren't smacking them out'a the park for dealers! Sip'n what I'm pouring? Different areas of the country have different distributors... Which can mean better or worse service.

Hence the splotchy service we're talking about. My point was, that unless you have dealt with the distributors in question... You really don't know what's happening. Know what I mean? :cheers:

:agree2::agree2: You guys have got to talk to Dolmar themselves! Send your warranty direct to them and you will get something done! I am a dealer and the support is great! I have been hurting stihl and husky and they wish I would go away but I am still here! The 5100 is by far my best seller! My distribator has been very very good! If I had a complaint with them it would be that they have not distribated Dolmar long enough to have a large amount of inventory especially on the older dolmar saws! Something is going on in your area if you are trully having this kind of failure! And Dolmar and/or distribator or both should be helping you!

i am not a dolmar dealer. matter of fact i have only ever seen one dolmar saw.
the shoddy distributer network is not at question. this does not change the fact that "funky's" numbers seem funky.

Okay... I can't make you believe anything that's being said in this thread. Freedom of though, choice, and speech is awesome!

If you don't believe it, then don't... Nobody here will lose sleep over Funky's saw problems... Well, except maybe Funky. ;)

Something is going on in your area if you are trully having this kind of failure! And Dolmar and/or distribator or both should be helping you!

Amen!.. I can say almost assuredly why the support sucks. These distributors are doing the Dolmar thing on the side... It's not their money maker. In fact, they often act like dealer relations is just a waste of their time and money. You ask a question, and they never have an answer.

Dealing with Dolmar directly has never been an option, the distributor takes it off the table immediately.

Latest posts

Back