why all the short bars on saws in this site ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
attachment.php

Nice picture! Who is that?

WOW!?
Never thought I would see that ?
I'm sorry, but what a dumb ass!
As far as I'm concerned, you use the bar that fit's the job!
It could be a 16" bar, or it could be a 72" bar(if you have it)!
Come to think of it, wish I had a 72" bar to get back into this Red fir!

woodc7.JPG

But come on, are you serious?
Do you hunt deer with a 50Cal.?
Were you bored when you posted this stupid question!?

WOW!?
Never thought I would see that ?
I'm sorry, but what a dumb ass!
As far as I'm concerned, you use the bar that fit's the job!
It could be a 16" bar, or it could be a 72" bar(if you have it)!
Come to think of it, wish I had a 72" bar to get back into this Red fir!

woodc7.JPG

But come on, are you serious?
Do you hunt deer with a 50Cal.?
Were you bored when you posted this stupid question!?

In all fairness... my muzzle loader is a .50 cal BUT I use 240 grn .44cal sabot with 80grns of powder.. but I do know of someone that uses a true 5Ocal and a 300 grn or heavier projectile with a magnum charge of 150grns of powder for a deer thats about 20-30 yds away.. I believe thats what you were implying in your q either that or the big military 50cal. :D it could be done but .. there would be nothing left to put in the freezer. just my .02

Talking about using the same saw to fall timber with all day long.

I know this sounds funny but you can tell whether you need a long bar or a shorter one by what kind of boots you lace up in the morning.
If you are wearing caulks and really need them you will be walking the log to work it up, no question but what a longer bar is needed, even in smaller timber. It is laughable to think otherwise. But,
In smaller timber and flat parklike conditions you can (at least I can) increase speed with a shorter bar and different limbing methods.

Can't believe it, yesterday I wrote a great big long boring reply and forgot to hit the submit button and then went out. So here's the gist of my reply.

I'm never far from my tailgate, so I don't think of bar size, I just grab the saw with the size bar I need.

Last summer a friend had a 90' White Pine get hit by lightning, at about 60'. I climbed the tree to put in a pull line. I stripped off all the limbs on the side facing the manicured lawn the tree was going to be dropped on, to prevent giant divots from the limbs, used a little Echo with 14" bar. Made 3 or 4 piles of brush to drop the log on to prevent a giant rut in the lawn and to hold the log up out of the dirt. I used the 100cc Homelite with a 36" bar to notch and back cut the tree. Made the 3 cuts to fell the tree and picked up the MS 290 with 18" bar and stripped off the rest of the limbs and started bucking the log back till the 290 wouldn't reach all the way through, set it down and grabbed the old 36" Homey to finish up.

I can't imagine having to use one saw and bar, but if I had to, it would be the biggest combo I could comfortably use, Joe.

I believe thats what you were implying in your q either that or the big military 50cal. :D it could be done but .. there would be nothing left to put in the freezer. just my .02

That's my point. Whether wood or game, the idea, at least MY idea, is to get as much back home as possible! One can hunt, fish or gather wood with dynamite if they wanted to, but why(except fishing):hmm3grin2orange:
Different bars, different caliber's, different uses! That's all I'm say'n?

Right on!

If you're serious you will bring more than one.

How many serious golfers (even crappy golfers) do you see carrying around one club?

Hell, I even take my old Homey or Mini Mac sometimes, just to remind me where I came from.

Can't believe it, yesterday I wrote a great big long boring reply and forgot to hit the submit button and then went out. So here's the gist of my reply.

I'm never far from my tailgate, so I don't think of bar size, I just grab the saw with the size bar I need.

Last summer a friend had a 90' White Pine get hit by lightning, at about 60'. I climbed the tree to put in a pull line. I stripped off all the limbs on the side facing the manicured lawn the tree was going to be dropped on, to prevent giant divots from the limbs, used a little Echo with 14" bar. Made 3 or 4 piles of brush to drop the log on to prevent a giant rut in the lawn and to hold the log up out of the dirt. I used the 100cc Homelite with a 36" bar to notch and back cut the tree. Made the 3 cuts to fell the tree and picked up the MS 290 with 18" bar and stripped off the rest of the limbs and started bucking the log back till the 290 wouldn't reach all the way through, set it down and grabbed the old 36" Homey to finish up.

I can't imagine having to use one saw and bar, but if I had to, it would be the biggest combo I could comfortably use, Joe.
geesh touchy touchy. i was merely saying you all make it sound like every saw out there should have a 72" bar cause its the macho thing to do. i agree that the bar should fit the bill for what you cut.so if you are cutting 6" diameter logs its stupid to use a 36" bar all day... out west your trees are bigger so you need more length of bar to getr done. i haven't seen so many people get so out of wack . i dont have the need for such big saws here. if you do thats great but dont lead all readers to believe if its under 36" length it shouldn't be used. i know most professionals here use nothing larger then 18" bars some as much as 24" but barely get used. you wont see me using a 36" saw from inside a bucket truck.

geesh touchy touchy. i was merely saying you all make it sound like every saw out there should have a 72" bar cause its the macho thing to do. i agree that the bar should fit the bill for what you cut.so if you are cutting 6" diameter logs its stupid to use a 36" bar all day... out west your trees are bigger so you need more length of bar to getr done. i haven't seen so many people get so out of wack . i dont have the need for such big saws here. if you do thats great but dont lead all readers to believe if its under 36" length it shouldn't be used. i know most professionals here use nothing larger then 18" bars some as much as 24" but barely get used. you wont see me using a 36" saw from inside a bucket truck.

Its not the macho thing to do its the practical thing to do. Its funny one of the PNWers ya called stupid and macho is a woman. Fortunately you only got two feet. :hmm3grin2orange:

Mountain Bucking of BIG Hazard trees...

SmokechaserIIade a good point, sometimes when we work on big blowdowns on steep slopes in hazard situation the Long Bars are MANDATORY for safety reasons.

We dont even want someone on our crew STANDING or walking around on the downhill side of some nasty jumble of blow downs on a 30 or 40 degree slope agfter heavy rains or in the 90 percent of our park that burned in 2003. Especially if it is a 30 or 45 minute walk to the nearest Fire Road if an injury occurs. ALL bucking has to be done from the uphill side.

If someone on our crew EVER got seriously injured, it would certainly be the end of power saw use for our trail maintenance volunteers. And that would prettymuch be the end of open trails in a 30,000 acre park used by about half a million visitors a year. There is not, and probably will never again be tax money to pay for a trail crew in this state park system. So we got to be extra careful. Once in a while we will have an old logger or former class c
feller on the crews but they usually either get bored from the lack of felling or sick of all the walking. Dont blame em. they done their time, why should they bust their ass as volunteers!

Not putting down the shorter smaller saws. Of course we carry a third saw (390 or 460)on big blow downs, if there are three or more guys on the crew. We always bring a 460 or 660 and a 260 or top handle echo.

Of course doing side jobs on private land I do a lot of work with a 372 with a 24 inch bar, but on those jobs the van or truck is never more than a few hundred yards away, usually 150 feet or so.

I spent some time in the BC wetcoast as a toursist and from what i saw of the terain and timber I think it is even more radical up there than on say Palomar which gets 40 to 50 inches of ppt a year and is south of LA. I am amazed at some of the work them boys do up there!

Seen some nasty and sick heli-logging up by Stewart and Hyder!.

No Dis to the Rebs or Easterners, I know your deal is different. And yes carrying the bigger says is a PITA even though we use backpacks. Just sayin even the 3120 with a 50 inch cannon is almost so short as to be dodgy sometimes~~~ Maybe 1 percent of the time!

It's not just bucking safety

With a longer bar, a faller can cut more trees from just one side.

On significant terrain that means you can cut without springboards.

OK.

But the big reason is when you have a hazard tree that has its hazards on one side. Make all your felling cuts from other side.

Be safe.

Wow that was a long winded shout match!!!
Merry Christmas everyone, I just got back (to my home).
I'd just like to add this, Would any of you like to buck this with a 20" bar?
From the off-hand side?
attachment.php
[/IMG]

Alright, we got the big bar / small bar thing handled but why do so many of the 460 660 size saws with the short bars have half wrap handles???

By the way I run 32-34" bars 98% of the time, even for limbing, vine maple and leaning alders. I also like my full wraps, big spikes and short rakers right in front of my square ground cutters.

Wow that was a long winded shout match!!!
Merry Christmas everyone, I just got back (to my home).
I'd just like to add this, Would any of you like to buck this with a 20" bar?
From the off-hand side?
attachment.php
[/IMG]

I'm not too sure that many people understand that it is not a good thing to be cutting on the downhill side of a log. Or even understand slope happens.
Good pictures of a common situation. :clap::deadhorse:

like i have said before , the older i get i don't wan't to bend over to cut. eventually i'll just put a longbar on a polesaw so i can sit in the truck and cut.lol.:hmm3grin2orange:

Alright, we got the big bar / small bar thing handled but why do so many of the 460 660 size saws with the short bars have half wrap handles???

By the way I run 32-34" bars 98% of the time, even for limbing, vine maple and leaning alders. I also like my full wraps, big spikes and short rakers right in front of my square ground cutters.

full wraps real nice when falling makes the saw real balanced when cutting to my left ,wont run without one now ,i just dont get why domeone with a 70cc saw needs 20 inch bar ,if trees that small use the 026 not the 46

like i have said before , the older i get i don't wan't to bend over to cut. eventually i'll just put a longbar on a polesaw so i can sit in the truck and cut.lol.:hmm3grin2orange:

Cracked me up, had to rep ya on that one. A few years ago I needed a power pruner for one limb on one job, so I bought one of those 12' or so Poulans. It came with a real thin flimsy 6" bar. Later I wanted to cut a couple feet out of the top of a Holly so I grabbed the power pruner. The top might have been 2 or 3 inches in dameter and it teetered back and pinched the bar, bent and ruined it. I was in Ace Hardware and saw they had 14" Poulan bar and chains cheap. Through that baby on the power pruner and now it works great. I could sit on the tailgate and cut up lap wood like that all day, Joe.

Geesh TM, I didn't think I was being touchy. I went back and reread your post, before I made my post, and it looks to me like I said the same thing you did. I used a little saw for little work, made a notch and back cut with a big saw, and used an MS290 with an 18" bar to do all of the limbing and bucking of about 70' of trunk, then finished up about the last 10' of trunk with the 36". Plus, I didn't call anyone stupid. In the post I erased by accident I did mention the fact that many members are home owners with just one or two saws. I'm a retired pro and have many saws. I guess it's like golf clubs, I can't go out and play with just one, Joe.

PS: I only dream about big bars, that 36" is the biggest I have.

Latest posts

Back