a waste of resources

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looks like a bunch of limbs that aren't worth cutting :) find some tree's overhanging houses on craigslist. :) They will GIVE you the wood for cutting the tree down! for real! lol

sorry about the pic but the trees are average 12" diameter and was about twenty or so there... i am waiting to see if he takes down that huge hedge apple in pic the other one that was there took three weeks with 5 guys cutting to haul out... was 52" diameter. but this one is about 4' in diameter.i would just drag it across the road and deal with it later.lol

hedge tree's don't make firewood, they make firecoal! lol. It looks like a good pile. I was giving you hell about it being pretty easy wood and getting screwed out of it. The only free wood you can get is the pain in the ass stuff off craigslist lol. I have hedges everywhere i farm, its pretty good wood to burn :) hope he lets you have it

he wont he said his insurance wont allow us to cut it on his property....so i said i would drag it across the street to my yard , he still wont. he's a dumb a...

I have a neighbor that "had" a dead standing Elm. I asked him if I could take it for firewood. He said another guy had asked. A few months went by and I saw the tree in the burn pile. What ever!

The same neighbor did stop and pull me out of a drift. i haven't figured him out yet......

I wonder if there's more to the story. It's a sad thing, but sometimes a bad apple really can spoil things. I let a neighbor take some treetops from a timber harvest. He was told to take only treetops form a certain area and nothing else (no live standing trees, no dead standing, no blowdowns, no deadfall--only the fresh treetops).

He couldn't resist taking live standing black locust, so now he's not allowed to cut anything on the farm; and I'm reluctant to let anyone I don't know really well cut on the property, either.

heres a pic of my neighbors brush pile.... wouldn't let me cut anything just pushed it up in a pile to burn.
View attachment 168241:angry::angry:

I agree with you!! It is sad that jealousy and prestige wont let some use this for energy.

Reminds me about the guy that bulldozed his house down, so the bank couldn't repossess it. PLAIN STUPID!!

This kind of "friction" does not help our nation to overcome the economic crisis.

I wonder if there's more to the story. It's a sad thing, but sometimes a bad apple really can spoil things. I let a neighbor take some treetops from a timber harvest. He was told to take only treetops form a certain area and nothing else (no live standing trees, no dead standing, no blowdowns, no deadfall--only the fresh treetops).

He couldn't resist taking live standing black locust, so now he's not allowed to cut anything on the farm; and I'm reluctant to let anyone I don't know really well cut on the property, either.

People do stupid things when they get a chance...give'm the little finger and they take the whole hand....Tucson AZ shooting...let him buy a gun, and he kills 6....probably one of a million, but still...that bad apple can ruin the entire harvest...

he wont he said his insurance wont allow us to cut it on his property....so i said i would drag it across the street to my yard , he still wont. he's a dumb a...

AFter most of a year begging, I finally got permission to log off a burned grove by signing a "hold harmless" agreement. You might try that.

Harry K

if he lives in ohio the land owner is protected from such a lawsuite. i know if i give someone permission to hunt on my land, and something bad happens like he gets hurt , i am not liable.

In PA, they just passed such a law regarding hunting a few years ago, and I always wondered if it covered other activities (firewood cutting, ATV riding, hiking, etc.). The important catch in the PA law is that the landowner must not charge a fee for the hunting privilege if the landowner wants not to be held liable for any mishap.

AFter most of a year begging, I finally got permission to log off a burned grove by signing a "hold harmless" agreement. You might try that.

Harry K
the local air force base cleared a large area and piled the trees up into many burn piles. for a fee of $1 and an air-tight "hold harmless" agreement, i've been cutting off that. similar to your story.

In PA, they just passed such a law regarding hunting a few years ago, and I always wondered if it covered other activities (firewood cutting, ATV riding, hiking, etc.). The important catch in the PA law is that the landowner must not charge a fee for the hunting privilege if the landowner wants not to be held liable for any mishap.

1) "Recreational use" laws are fairly common, though the details will vary by state.

Connecticut: 2005 Connecticut Code - Connecticut Chapter 925 — Statutory Rights of Action and Defenses (contains Secs. 52-555 to 52-572w) - Connecticut Law - Connecticut Statutes :: Justia -- US Laws, Codes, Statutes & Cases -- Justia

52-557f through j lay out the protections of the landowner who allows recreational use of their land without charge. Hunting, fishing, hiking, ATVs, snowmobiles, etc all end up falling within this series...basically anything that is "recreational."

52-557k is for firewood...and interestingly extends those protections even to landowners who charge for the firewood (provided it's less then 100 cords/year).

The recreational laws protect the landowner so long as the landowner doesn't do something deliberate to harm the users. The firewood one imposes on the landowner the additional requirement that you warn firewood cutters of any known hazard (although you also get the right to charge).

The following link provides a good generic description of liability if you're not protected by special statutes like the Connecticut one:

Duties Owed By Property Owners And Possessors

==================
As to the original poster, I do have to scratch my head and remember that you posted a few days ago that you've already lost two hedgerows to other folks because you didn't have time to get to them quick enough.

If I'm a farmer and I want the hedgerow gone, in my neck of the woods which I don't think is much different from Ohio, I only have a few weeks left that I can get it bulldozed and burned. By March 15th we'd be into mud season and high fire danger days too often.

1) "Recreational use" laws are fairly common, though the details will vary by state.

Connecticut: 2005 Connecticut Code - Connecticut Chapter 925 — Statutory Rights of Action and Defenses (contains Secs. 52-555 to 52-572w) - Connecticut Law - Connecticut Statutes :: Justia -- US Laws, Codes, Statutes & Cases -- Justia

52-557f through j lay out the protections of the landowner who allows recreational use of their land without charge. Hunting, fishing, hiking, ATVs, snowmobiles, etc all end up falling within this series...basically anything that is "recreational."

52-557k is for firewood...and interestingly extends those protections even to landowners who charge for the firewood (provided it's less then 100 cords/year).

The recreational laws protect the landowner so long as the landowner doesn't do something deliberate to harm the users. The firewood one imposes on the landowner the additional requirement that you warn firewood cutters of any known hazard (although you also get the right to charge).

The following link provides a good generic description of liability if you're not protected by special statutes like the Connecticut one:

Duties Owed By Property Owners And Possessors

==================
As to the original poster, I do have to scratch my head and remember that you posted a few days ago that you've already lost two hedgerows to other folks because you didn't have time to get to them quick enough.

If I'm a farmer and I want the hedgerow gone, in my neck of the woods which I don't think is much different from Ohio, I only have a few weeks left that I can get it bulldozed and burned. By March 15th we'd be into mud season and high fire danger days too often.

PA also has had "recreational use" statutes for decades, but the language had some weaknesses that lawyers used. Many states have laws that are similar and really do not protect the landowner as much as one would think. See the following link:

New Law Protects Pennsylvania Landowners | LandReport.com

The true test, as always, is how it's applied.

i have even asked to be able to just drag them across the road to my yard, then i would cut them here... he still said nope. and yes it is actually a huge hedge i have one back by my creek that about as big....i had thought before that it was an oak but if you see the branches thats fell off cut open its hedge...and a hole lot of it.

He's peed on that bunch of trees so they are his; the rest is b.s. Try to forget the waste and move on. I have found that common sense is present in something less than 50 percent of the population. The fact that the trees have value to you and not to him only serves to make him more intractable. I've seen this many times before, sadly.

Latest posts

Back