compare me a 288xp to 372xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would jump on a new in the box 288xp for $700, with warranty, like a spring chicken after a bug. That's about what I paid for my 288xp lite when it was new 9 years ago.

I have two 288's one stock,thanks nmurph ! and the other ported by Srcarr52 and was only running them yesterday and they keep up with the new boys ok !
That said I have two 372's a XPG and XPW both ported and for working in the woods all day i.e. making a living they are the first choice for speed, fuel and comfort.
The 288 and 372 have to be the top two of Husky's line up ?

I sold mine because I never ran it so I used the money to build a second 394. To me the 288 fell in between the 371 and the 394, my 371 could do everything the 288 could do up till 32" bars with a heavy hand at that point in time I enjoyed letting the big dog eat. It was a good running saw and I miss it some days. Ok, most days... with a high top and the custom dogs it was a good looking saw.

IMG_0412.jpg

You will be pleased to know Shaun that it is still that clean ! It wears a 28" these days and comes out to work a fair bit.

I try to keep my workbench clean and my saws cleaner but I'm not as picky as some people, I just don't like carrying an extra 1/2 of crud on the saw.

I'm glad you are getting some use out of those saws. I'll have to build me another 288 some day, mostly just to complete the collection again.

I would jump on a new in the box 288xp for $700, with warranty, like a spring chicken after a bug. That's about what I paid for my 288xp lite when it was new 9 years ago.
Yeah, son of a b*&^% If I only had the cash. We had just bought our place here, and had alot of things we just shelled out cash for. The timing sucked! Believe it or not I have woken up in the middle of the night a time or two, thinking of that saw. I saw a 2100 in the same condition. Guy wanted 1k for it. I would have bought it. Try finding either of those two in that condition ever again. Priceless!

Agreed, a nos 2100 series saw would be a once in a lifetime opportunity. I would go for it before I would go for a modern compariable saw. Same with the 288. It does everything a modern saw will do and it just has a aura about it-a field of subtle , luminous radiation surrounding it.

I have two 288's one stock,thanks nmurph ! and the other ported by Srcarr52 and was only running them yesterday and they keep up with the new boys ok !
That said I have two 372's a XPG and XPW both ported and for working in the woods all day i.e. making a living they are the first choice for speed, fuel and comfort.
The 288 and 372 have to be the top two of Husky's line up ?

I suspect the 390xp is better than the 288xp in several ways - but I have no experience to back it up....:D

I love both the 372 and the 288....That "intoxicating sound" of a 288 is so true...I always think of it as a similar sound as a big block Chevy with the 4 barrel wide open.

A 288 will put a smile on your face every time!:rock:

To me its the 288 idle that puts a smile on my face. That or wide open tearing up big white pine. I have both, and I'll usually go to the 372 first, but I'm never let down with the 288 did some hardcore maple noodling with it. And it will rip right through big chunks with a 28 in bar.

There is really no sound like a 288xp Idling with that pop pop crack pop pop sound going on. I'll never sell mine that's for sure. I'm on the hunt for another one or a 2100 project just because they are sooooo addicting to operate :rock:

There is really no sound like a 288xp Idling with that pop pop crack pop pop sound going on. I'll never sell mine that's for sure. I'm on the hunt for another one or a 2100 project just because they are sooooo addicting to operate :rock:

There are lots of reports on here, about the 288 performing better than the likely conservative 6.1 hp specs indicate.

I have no idea what the truth is, but it is about 5 cc smaller than the 066/660, that some compare it to, and rated at 1 hp less........:msp_confused:

The weight specs are pretty close, but the newer 390xp is lighter, and in the "middle" regarding rated power.

Last edited:
I have the "lite" 288xp. Only 390xp i've run was a ported one and it was downright fast, however it weighed about the same as my 288xp lite. I've also raced several 066/660's with my stock 288xp lite and have laid the beat down on almost all of them. At work we have a 660 and we were cleaning up some serious blowdown and storm damage. I normally use our work saws, which we have a 038, a Husky 365 special, an 024, and the 660 but after running that 660 for the day I brought my 288xp in in the next and finished out the week with it. I just am not a fan of the 660 power wise, or weight wise, it should be stronger than it is...

The 288 is underrated by some due to the 390, or just due to lack of 288 experience I guess. The 288 is a do anything saw, firewood to big timber, even milling. They were built with real parts, and spare no expense quality. That is why I love the 2100 models as well. Yes they are a little heavier, but also have real flywheels that help a saw run cooler, heavier flywheel and longer stroke also = Torque. I agree Nikko on the H.P rating maybe modest. Because they will run along side any 66 I have ever run. Sure a 390 is probably smoother, and a tad lighter, but you can lighten up a 288 but at some point when upping saw size, guy's will have to learn that that will also up weight, and possibly vibration. You are adding a lot more torque. I think a lot is new saw newness, because if compared side by side running everyday in big wood. I would be then curious of the comparison, and I mean in big timber and throw a 42 in bar on both. I guarantee 288 over lookers would learn some respect for it. I have never run a 390, but never called it obsolete either.

well the first 2100 or 288 i come across will be mine if the price is right...

Back