Stihl MS250/290/311????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J-BENDER

Reaction score
Looking at purchasing a new saw soon. Im used to using 2165's at work and would like the saw to have somewhat close to the same power. Cant decide between the 250, 290, and the 311. Im kinda leanin torwards the 290 but have heard they are heavy and can be a pain to start. Any input would be appreciated.

I have a 250 and your work saw is more of the ms362 variety, which I also own. You won't be happy with that.
I love how light my 250 is, though. Gonna mod it when I learn enough.

Search through the archives for the 290 or 311. I don't own them nor have ever used and thus shouldn't comment.

My 250 is relatively easy to start (4 to 6 pulls) and the 362 starts on the 3rd or 4th pull every time. More often the 3rd.

I also bought a used 346Xp which KICKS. Lightweight screaming machine. Also starts on the 3rd or 4th pull. Also more often the 3rd.
Love them all for their purposes but if I had to choose one, it would be the 346. Only because I prefer the lighter weight to the 362.
I won't ever give up the 346 or the 362. The 250 saved me in a pinch so it's a keeper too (justifying CAD).

I have an 029 Super which is basically the same saw just an older version. It came with a 20" bar and I downsized it to an 18" which helps in the power department.
I don't have much problem with the weight because when I'm using it most of the weight is held by the log. :msp_wink:
I haven't done my muffler mod yet but a friend just did and he said it really amps it up. My only drawback is in big hardwood over 18". Could use more power. Overall pretty good saw for all around use. As far as starting...usually by the 4th pull and then it's one more without the choke.
I also just finished putting in a new piston and cylinder and it was not super easy to work on. Could be worse (like the little 46cc Homelite on my bench).
Hope this helps

I just got the MS 250 (18" bar) just over a month ago and I really like it for limbing and I've ran the stuffing out of it the last two day and I did muffler mod to it within a week of getting it was a good invesrment for $300. But one thing about it DON'T use the chain that comes with it get a RMC for it

Then I've been using MS 261 on the bigger stuff; there has been so much writting here on AS so I dont have to get into that any more

I've got a 1 year old MS290 and it's been easy starting and very reliable.I don't understand why most think that the MS290 is heavy and underpowered.It's got more power than the Jonsered I used to have,which by the way was broke down most of the time..For the money I spent,my MS290 does everything I want,Sure there are faster,more powerful saws I could have bought,but why?

I forgot to mention they also can pick up your bad habits!

View attachment 227250
attachment.php

Maybe a Michigan thing. My two cutting friends have an 029 and a 290!

H 2 h

I just got the MS 250 (18" bar)
I have both bars for the 250 and the 16 seems much better. I bought new chains one day recently and tested them back to back (and back to back again) in the same wood. Seemed born for the 16. Perhaps your MM made enough of a difference. I gotta do that MM. The saw needs that extra 10 per cent that hopefully a good MM will bring.

I forgot to mention they also can pick up your bad habits!

Maybe a Michigan thing. My two cutting friends have an 029 and a 290!

My tastes in saws are different than yours, but I certainly won't knock what you're running since it works well for you. The Lienies and the cigar are getting the bulk of my attention in your pic however.:cheers:

I have both bars for the 250 and the 16 seems much better. I bought new chains one day recently and tested them back to back (and back to back again) in the same wood. Seemed born for the 16. Perhaps your MM made enough of a difference. I gotta do that MM. The saw needs that extra 10 per cent that hopefully a good MM will bring.

Ok; Ill try that this coming week (I'll have to get a 16" bar and chain)

I have three different bars for the MS 261 and I have learned alot over the last few day with that; 3/8 18" bar is loads better than the .325 18" IMO I also put the 3/8 20" bar and ran that with no problems all chains are simi skip Stihl chains

Why not find a spent 290

Why not shop fleabay for a spent 290 then big bore it to the max . Its a fun project and fairly simple to do. The reason everyone dogs on them though is they are an old clamshell engine design . I personally dont care too much for them but they have been around for a long time , its just the design isnt that of todays high performance saws .

Looking at purchasing a new saw soon. Im used to using 2165's at work and would like the saw to have somewhat close to the same power. Cant decide between the 250, 290, and the 311. Im kinda leanin torwards the 290 but have heard they are heavy and can be a pain to start. Any input would be appreciated.

None of those are close in power, and the 311 even is heavier.

Also, they all are plastic cased "homeowner" saws, and not nearly the same quality.

Last edited:
I think any of the three would serve you will, but are in a different realm than what you use at work. I think the MS250 is one of the better values that Stihl offers today. The MS290 is a good bang for the buck as well. Cant give you much opinion on the other saw.

I've had a 250 for a few years now and really like it. No problems with it and I have tired out before it has every time I go cutting. I have a 362 for the bigger stuff and it is a very good saw as well.

Hi Bender:

I cut 10 cords of firewood a year. You'll find 290 lovers and haters in this forum. I didn't wanna spend a lot, yet I wanted a good saw. So I bought a new MS290 last October from my very friendly Stihl dealer for $349, and just love it. It's not a "pro" saw, but it does everything I'll ever ask of a chain saw. Any "pro" saw will run ya around $200 more. For cutting only 10 cords a year, I just couldn't justify that additional cost. The MS290 is Stihl's biggest bang for the buck. Nothing fancy or high tech. It uses old tried and true technology. It's a well made, good quality, and reliable as dirt. It doesn't have a compression release and that may throw some at first. Especially if they're upgrading from a smaller saw. But once I got the hang of it, mine always starts pretty easy. Stihl sells more 250's and 290's then all of their other models combined. There are quite literally hundreds or thousands of them in use. Only reason I went with the 290 over the 250 is I'm thinking of getting a Lewis Winch, and the 290's extra 1 HP will come in handy for that. The weight of the 290 don't bother me none, and I'm 66. Here's a short video of me hefting my 290.

[video=youtube;yKNQEfUPxrg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKNQEfUPxrg[/video]

I prefer a 16" bar (less reciprocating chain mass) to better optimize the 290's 3.8 HP. If you're gonna buy a new Stihl, ask the dealer to throw in a spare chain at no cost. Also, buy the 6 pack of Stihl oil which automatically doubles the warranty to 2 years.

But don't let us talk you in to anything. We're just sharing our personal experiences with you to give you some food for thought. To me, dealer support is more important than the brand of saw. If there were a Husky dealer within 10 miles and a Stihl dealer within 40 miles, I probably go with the Husky brand. Stop in to a bunch of chain saw shops and determine which one is the most friendly and knowledgeable. You should really check out "all" of the major chain saw brands, and get what ever you're the most comfortable with. We're darn lucky to have so many fine choices. Just about any new saw you buy these days is gonna be a pretty darn nice saw !

Don <><

attachment.php

Last edited:
I have owned my 029 super for some time, bought it brand new and love it, today would be the ms290. The only thing I have ever done is make sure it is blown out on a regular basis, fresh gas mixed at 40-1, chain sharp, and changed the plug when needed. I did just do a muffler mod, but only cause I wanted a little more power. This saw has served me very well, and is considered to be Stihl's bread and butter saw. Weight is not bad for the power, 16" bar has done well for me and helps for the weight. I average 8-10 cords or more a year.

Oh......and far as starting, I don't believe that can be genralized to any brand or size saw, but my 029 starts fairly easy, pops on the 3rd pull when cold choked, running with a 4th pull and ready to cut!

Well,

To answer your question, the 2165 is FAR superior to any of the saws you have listed.
The MS390 is the closest saw Stihl has in their homeowner line to the 2165 and is a good powerful saw for homeowner/firewood use.

Mike

Here the two saw's I take when cutting firewood MS 250 and Ms 261 now

DSC_4840.jpg

Back