My last tree.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beastmaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am hanging it up after today. Maybe I'll try and get a job driving truck or some thing. But this is my last tree.
I did an alder leaning over a small Post Office. Nothing overly difficult. Lots of wires, phone and 220, so only had maybe an 8X8 drop zone. The lower branches were removed earlier with a bucket truck. View attachment 250150 You can see how much lean from this Photo.
I lowered a few branches from the alder straight down, but as I got closer to the top there was a lot of decay from where other branches had broked out and an area on the main trunk were mistletoe had integrated with the tree, plus numerous hollows. So I throw a line over a branch of a neighborly pine and come down. I SRT up the pineView attachment 250151 then free climb up above the Alder. The pines 32 in. at 80ft. I have a choice of two old wire rope pulleys from an Edison truck, or a well used, should be retired 1 1/2 ton block. I pick the block, and they send it up with a 4 foot rope to secure it. I ask for at lest a 12 foot line so it'll wrap around the tree and I can tie it. They send me a 8 ft whoopy sling that's so old the rope won't even slid. I've worked with these guys before. It's not going to get better.
I go over two branches and secure the block. I tied off the lowing line in the alder so I can slide down to where I last was in it. Before that I had them set a block at the base of the pine. The lowing line isn't no where near long enough. So using to bowlines they loop them together. I have to old ropes, one I know has been stress and broke(several times) and who knows on the other. The knots won't go throw the lower pulley. I worry the way it's tied together might cut it's self. Two years working there the bowline is the only knot they know. I slide down from the pine to the alder. Cut a large branchView attachment 250153 The one in front of me in the photo. Goes like clock work. Do a few more. I would like to take the top right there. There is a big cats face I don't feel comfortable climbing above, but I don't trust the rope, pulley whoppy sling, etc. So I run my climbing line to the pine, and climb up that scurvy brittle top and remove all the branches. I butt tie the top and snap cut it(that brittle)Every thing goes fine. I have to come down to use the bathroom(getting old sucks). I break out my double pulleys and a prussic. set it up, and call the guys over to show them whats going on and how to use it. I can't get them away from the truck where they have the radio going. They don't care, I know I am pretty much on my own. It's probably to hard for them any way. I SRT upView attachment 250154 I tip tie the next piece, and put a small Humboldt in it, and push it over, It gets a little squirrelly because the tip line is tight and I have to take it side ways. The need to be pulled toward the pine, I normally use a slant cut and they slide off after being pulled so far. My little echo won't cut no more because I am now in big wood. I just pulled up one saw with no gas in it. I ask them to make sure it cuts. I am watching from the tree, it don't look like its cutting very good. They send it up. I start the cut, It throwing saw dust. The piece I have tipped tied is 250, 300 lbs. If it don't go right it can crush me. It'ed go if it could be pulled and lifted. like you suppose to. Two more pieces and I can chunker down.
I am worried about the ground guys, There is people in the post office. Really there is only 45 min. left to the tree(in the real world)Will the rope hold, will the pulley brake, what if the piece comes off wrong, there is no reason I need to be this stressed. I have worked with top knoch crews and know the feeling, even small mom and pops out fits have better equipment, this use to be a 1,000,000 dollar buisness.
I need the money(150.00)and I want a good endorsement on my resume because I was going to go job searching next week. But I know everything is wrong, I can almost see the accident report in my head. I'v taking short cut's, used faulty equipment, working with idiots.
I came out of the tree, packed my stuff went home(I've only done this one other time, Same Company)I am through with this business. This seems to be the norm for me these days. My climbing days are over.

I am really sorry to hear Beast, I don't post much. I'm more of a reader but i have read many of your posts and recently they have been going down hill and the bulk of it sounds like demanding know nothing business owners and half wit groundsmen. I'm 27 and been in the industry for 9 or so years and I see exactly where you are coming from groundies are more interested in their phones couldn't give a #### whats going on up there because it always goes right anyway and goes right with no help from them they can bearly tie knots wouldn't know a sharp saw if it stared them in the face and never seem to be able to get the load to run but still get paid marginally less then the climber. The owners are just as bad but have the right to criticize your work cause they have the paycheck. I am extremely lucky with the guys i work with at the moment but have seen the darker side over and over.

Again sorry to hear.
Nick

I am hanging it up after today. Maybe I'll try and get a job driving truck or some thing. But this is my last tree.
I did an alder leaning over a small Post Office. Nothing overly difficult. Lots of wires, phone and 220, so only had maybe an 8X8 drop zone. The lower branches were removed earlier with a bucket truck. View attachment 250150 You can see how much lean from this Photo.
I lowered a few branches from the alder straight down, but as I got closer to the top there was a lot of decay from where other branches had broked out and an area on the main trunk were mistletoe had integrated with the tree, plus numerous hollows. So I throw a line over a branch of a neighborly pine and come down. I SRT up the pineView attachment 250151 then free climb up above the Alder. The pines 32 in. at 80ft. I have a choice of two old wire rope pulleys from an Edison truck, or a well used, should be retired 1 1/2 ton block. I pick the block, and they send it up with a 4 foot rope to secure it. I ask for at lest a 12 foot line so it'll wrap around the tree and I can tie it. They send me a 8 ft whoopy sling that's so old the rope won't even slid. I've worked with these guys before. It's not going to get better.
I go over two branches and secure the block. I tied off the lowing line in the alder so I can slide down to where I last was in it. Before that I had them set a block at the base of the pine. The lowing line isn't no where near long enough. So using to bowlines they loop them together. I have to old ropes, one I know has been stress and broke(several times) and who knows on the other. The knots won't go throw the lower pulley. I worry the way it's tied together might cut it's self. Two years working there the bowline is the only knot they know. I slide down from the pine to the alder. Cut a large branchView attachment 250153 The one in front of me in the photo. Goes like clock work. Do a few more. I would like to take the top right there. There is a big cats face I don't feel comfortable climbing above, but I don't trust the rope, pulley whoppy sling, etc. So I run my climbing line to the pine, and climb up that scurvy brittle top and remove all the branches. I butt tie the top and snap cut it(that brittle)Every thing goes fine. I have to come down to use the bathroom(getting old sucks). I break out my double pulleys and a prussic. set it up, and call the guys over to show them whats going on and how to use it. I can't get them away from the truck where they have the radio going. They don't care, I know I am pretty much on my own. It's probably to hard for them any way. I SRT upView attachment 250154 I tip tie the next piece, and put a small Humboldt in it, and push it over, It gets a little squirrelly because the tip line is tight and I have to take it side ways. The need to be pulled toward the pine, I normally use a slant cut and they slide off after being pulled so far. My little echo won't cut no more because I am now in big wood. I just pulled up one saw with no gas in it. I ask them to make sure it cuts. I am watching from the tree, it don't look like its cutting very good. They send it up. I start the cut, It throwing saw dust. The piece I have tipped tied is 250, 300 lbs. If it don't go right it can crush me. It'ed go if it could be pulled and lifted. like you suppose to. Two more pieces and I can chunker down.
I am worried about the ground guys, There is people in the post office. Really there is only 45 min. left to the tree(in the real world)Will the rope hold, will the pulley brake, what if the piece comes off wrong, there is no reason I need to be this stressed. I have worked with top knoch crews and know the feeling, even small mom and pops out fits have better equipment, this use to be a 1,000,000 dollar buisness.
I need the money(150.00)and I want a good endorsement on my resume because I was going to go job searching next week. But I know everything is wrong, I can almost see the accident report in my head. I'v taking short cut's, used faulty equipment, working with idiots.
I came out of the tree, packed my stuff went home(I've only done this one other time, Same Company)I am through with this business. This seems to be the norm for me these days. My climbing days are over.

I think walking away from that job was the right decision. I'd take some time exploring your options before you walk away from this career. Whatever you do though, I wish you the best. Stay safe.

You are too much a asset to let go, if I was there already I would snatch u up. Maybe u need to re-locate a bit south, say the SD area, happen to know a couple guys, hehe. One is a Viking who runs a Super Hi-end outfit................

Sounds like a really bad month into the last day. Perhaps working as a foreman with a company with some good equipment will do ya?

Beast - why, why, why would you not bring along some decent rigging (blocks / ropes / saws) that YOU own to a job like this? I know they were "supposed" to supply all of that, but honestly, you mention you have had this problem before with the same outfit. People you work for are gonna let you down. Their standards aren't your standards. At least tilt the odds in your favour by having the right gear to do the job.

I work with idiots all the time; I expect them to act like idiots. If they behaved otherwise, it would be out of character.
Even when I'm contract climbing for other outfits, I know I can depend on the equipment I'm using, cause it's mine.

Sorry to hear you're having a rough time but it's a shame to put skill and knowledge on the back burner and go drive a truck, maybe spend a couple hundred bucks file for an LLC and get some liability insurance. Hire your own ground guy that you can train and trust if you have most of your own personal equipment there won't be too much of a start up cost and go for it yourself.

I hate to hear that Beast. I've enjoyed conversating with you on this site and I've learned a lot from you. I know you have had a rough go of it lately and I can understand where your coming from. On the other hand I don't find you to be the kind of man to give up on a carreer and skill that your passionate about. Maybe take a break, recoup a bit and come back swingin.

Beast if you are as you type your just cutting yourself short working for the kind of companies you do. The companies you work for are the disliking you are getting towards tree work. I mean i have never worked for a company like your typing about, i have showed up on the first day and said #### this and left. But putting yourself through that kind of #### takes the fun out of this stuff. Real tree guys like what they do if i said i didn't love this #### i would be lying everyday i get to go wreck trees and get paid for it :). you need to put yourself in the same situation not necessarily wrecking trees but pruning them to. Every year all of my ropes hit the trash can wether they where used or not, they have a shelf life to me. same with slings and so on thats just how i roll. I will never lose a limb or log or even have the fear of it due to a 150$ piece of rope.

That aside i worked for a guy through my teen years in ohio. good guy but it was a one crew show kind of deal where 12-15$ an hour was it. Let me tell you if that is what you are doing you are making a big big mistake. now i know this is gonna piss guys off but so be it. But think about yourself for a minute, one day you are going to have to retire and a hangup the spurs. then what? go get hooked up with a reputable company where the managers and other guys take care of the small stuff like when you hand them a worn out sling they replace it and thats that. And you collect a respectable paycheck at the end of the week like over 20$ per hour. i pay 25-30$ an hour for a top grade climber and you sound like one.

Now all of what i said above is fine and dandy but lets get back to the pointe of hanging up the spurs. you need a company thats gonna take care of you after your done, things like 401k matching and so on. my company does it fifty cents for a dollar you put 20g's in i put in half. so when you retire some day your not screwed. these companies exist. this is why i worked for bartlett for so many years. The paychecks may be less at the end of the week but in the long run i had a retirement set up for me if i put 20-30 years in.

Now go work for Jeff's company I'm sure he will hire you use me as a recommendation on the application. LOL, i know it is not possible but there is 25-30$ per hour here and temporary board if you wanna make the switch the offers on the table. and i can guarantee you the #### that you are talking about now is non existent, it just wouldn't happen in real life I'm a man of few words your either in or your out there is no in the middle. But as far as being done i don't think you need to be. i just think your spending to much time making second rate companies good. go impress one that is gonna get you somewhere someday so maybe you can move into upper management as you get older and even retire.

don't take any offense to the above its just the best advice i offer guys. i hear it all the time so an so will pay me 300$ a day to climb, but those relationships are very short lived job security and value to a company is more key.

i almost took a buy out once but the problem with the deal was for my guys. they all had to start at the same level as they where with me and we couldn't meet in agreement on that so it was a no. plus what would i do id be bored as hell. those are the kind of things that companies care about you would do.

Beast. I've been in the pissed off mode you are in now. I think you either need a break from working with and for culls, or you just need a break for a while. .
I've quit cutting timber and climbing several times. But I just needed space to give me perspective. .

Just take a break for a while.

Maybe you should get into consultancy and recommend the right jobs to the right people, so the wrong people arent getting the work mate. Sounds like those dudes are more into texting than treecare

great sad n happy end of a job story Beast

take a break enjoy a driving or desk job for awhile, no hassle no worries no fears But when yer start to dream of trees n your feel for them then you,ll have to think hard that that day.

Sorry to hear that. Been feeling a little burnt out myself lately.

I quit using other's ropes and gear many years ago. Even before I went out on my own I bought my own ropes and rigging after a close call using someone else's rope. Even when I do contract for others these days I show up with all of my own gear and my own groundy. I do not like surprises. I know it takes a little money to acquire that stuff but you cannot put a price on peace of mind.

Best of luck.

That's the same reason I got out.

Tired of cheap and stupid. This is not the business to get in if you're going to be cheap and stupid.

Best of luck!

I miss it but I'm relieved to be away from the stupidity.

Hey Beast, "Don't make decisions based on feelings" That is something I heard from my brother who thinks he is a freaking shrink because he took a psychology class in college, Lol! I have to admit he is right on that statement. I know every time I make a decision based on strong emotion I have made bad decisions. It's good you are tired of dealing with the guys you were working with. People on this site know you are good at what you do, just by chatting on here with you. I have learned from you and other guys on this site. I would hate to loose your insight here! Anyway hope to see you here on the site soon! Take it easy.

Sounds like you're just frustrated with the company you're working for as opposed to the industry. What you need is a change of employer, not profession. I would definately go looking asap for a new job, keep what you have and wait for the best one that comes along. Maybe upon the threat of leaving they'll be willing to invest in good equipment for your crew as opposed to the entire company. It's a start and it will keep you safe and productive.

Good luck with whatever you do. I have a feeling you won't go far from what you do. It's in your blood. :cheers:

Latest posts

Back