Considering buying a wood splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My local TS store wants $1099. Guess I'll wait for it to go on sale. I won't need it til next year.

I'm a little spoiled... My brother built this for one of his classes in college. Funny thing is that at the time we really had no need for it as we didn't use wood. I'm glad he built it now...

asset.php

I don't know the specs on it. I do know it has a 2 stage pump and is running a 13HP Honda. I've yet to find something it won't split.

By comparison, my buddy and I were both swing axes over the weekend. He was working on a Black Cherry and I was on an Ash. 14" or so, nothing too big at all. Between the two of us, we had the trees bucked and split in about an hour. I haven't picked up all up yet but I'm guessing it yielded about a cord. The Cherry was at least a half cord. What I'm getting at is that had we taken the splitter back there, it would have taken longer. Nice easy splitting stuff is quicker and more fun to swing an axe with IMO.

Last edited:
Should have bought the 22 ton,you would have had enough $ to buy the boy some shoes! :msp_biggrin:

Thats the kinda wood I get(friend in the tree cutting business)

Lol my little hillbilly hates shoes, never mind the splitter is on loan :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a little spoiled... My brother built this for one of his classes in college. Funny thing is that at the time we really had no need for it as we didn't use wood. I'm glad he built it now...

asset.php

I don't know the specs on it. I do know it has a 2 stage pump and is running a 13HP Honda. I've yet to find something it won't split.

By comparison, my buddy and I were both swing axes over the weekend. He was working on a Black Cherry and I was on an Ash. 14" or so, nothing too big at all. Between the two of us, we had the trees bucked and split in about an hour. I haven't picked up all up yet but I'm guessing it yielded about a cord. The Cherry was at least a half cord. What I'm getting at is that had we taken the splitter back there, it would have taken longer. Nice easy splitting stuff is quicker and more fun to swing an axe with IMO.

Dunno which is faster but I do know I don't like looking at a big pile of split stuff waiting to be stacked :(. When I do it by hand it gets stacked as I split. Probably about a wash but psychologically I prefer the manual splitting.

Harry K

Dunno which is faster but I do know I don't like looking at a big pile of split stuff waiting to be stacked :(. When I do it by hand it gets stacked as I split. Probably about a wash but psychologically I prefer the manual splitting.

Harry K

My method as well when it can be done. Round or chunk inside tire on top of block, fiskared into submission. from tire into wheelbarrow, direct to stack and stacked. Hit a knot or something that sucks, immediately into the bummer/ugly pile where it can "season" a year or three more. If it looks like it might drop in the stove, I won't touch it again until it is burnt. Iff at the second pass of splitting attempt and it is still something too big, and it still is giving me fits, noodleman!

I do want to build a dedicated noodle saw. Haven't done it yet though. Cut the clutch cover out, etc.

Actually have one of those big fat uglies from the bummer pile burning right now, some unsplittable mambo chunk from last year.

Which reminds me I need to start dropping hints about an x27 for the holiday binge buying season. Maybe a big printed picture of one with Christmas trees pics and decorations and ornaments n'stuff around it on the wall.....I did get a new steel wedge with my B day home despot gift card. The old steel wedge is...old..the head is beat to crap and big chunks are coming off. I might see if I can weld a steel handle to it, just for practice and to make another tool I might need once in awhile.

Back to my usual method, splitting it with a maul as I need it. The pile is shrinking pretty fast. Guess I'll put off this major purchase for another year. Thanks for the info everyone! I'm thinking that if and when the time comes, my local Tractor Supply is the way to go.

Harry K

=====

Yea, hand splitting is faster, but I can't stay at it for more then a couple hours, whereas I can push and pull the little levers all day long so in the long run I get more split with the Speeco...

Unlike Harry I can look at a pile of splits lying in the sun for a long time, after alls its seasoning. What I don't like is looking a pile of rounds needing split, it ain't seasoning much in the rounds...
YMMV

Back