Free firewood on craigslist and came home with one more saw in a box

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atlarge54

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Cutting firewood today and wound up asking the guy, any saws for sale. Had an 026 in a box that he'd give me---said it needed new seals. View attachment 291945

He really intended to give me the saw but fool that I am------I gave him $50. This saw should clean up really nice. I'm not used to working on a saw that isn't really fried or beat to death so this will be a nice change of pace. The piston still has machine marks and the cyl is really great. It came with a couple practically new chains too.

The reason I went to cut wood was to get a little run time on an 026 that I rebuilt with a cleaned up cyl and new piston. I wanted to get a comparison to the Husky 350 that's slightly modded. Wow that little 350 is a saw with an attitude. The Husky shows 170psi while the Stihl has 160psi. Those two saws don't even feel like they should be in the same displacement class.

What mods are required to wake up an 026?

The guy obviously hasn't spent any time here at AS. Here's his 3-saw plan: really nice looking 038av Super, MS310, plus a brand spankin' new MS391. Not much range there eh?

You are not a fool. You're just an honest person who did a decent thing. Hope that saw turns out to be a sweet deal - you deserve it.

Do a muffler mod and retune on that 026 and you'll see a noticeable gain.....that and full chisel, non-safety chain.

Do a muffler mod and retune on that 026 and you'll see a noticeable gain.....that and full chisel, non-safety chain.

The 026 has had the muffler opened up at least double the stock outlet size. The 026 also is running full chisel .325 pitch non-safety on an 18" bar. The 350 has .325 semi-chisel on a 16" bar. Yes the bar size is different but the power difference is crazy. The 026 does have a new carb kit installed, it's just hard for me to believe tweaking the carb can put this saw up with the 350.

it's just hard for me to believe tweaking the carb can put this saw up with the 350.

When I was adjusting the H setting on my 46cc Ryobi it went from 'meh' to "really pissed at the wood." I was pretty surprised.

Tweak the carb.

View attachment 292220

Not the greatest picture but the fuel line on this saw had a serious hole in it. Do you think the Stihl dealer that put a new carb kit in the saw wasn't really up to snuff? The new spark plug didn't seem to help much either. I didn't bother taking a picture of the ignition wire that was seriously pinched between the carb and intake boot. This is a low hour saw that never should have been taken apart.

Back