double-ended bar.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

412jason

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Stihl 440 mag and a Stihl 460. Can you run these with a double-ended bar? I guess what I asking is what's the existent of the difference in cc's between the saws?

Also I have a Stihl 066 which has a big bore kit , I found a double ended bar with 43" of cutting area. Could I run this saw with a helper on white pine? 24-30 inches?

Thanks
J

I have a Stihl 440 mag and a Stihl 460. Can you run these with a double-ended bar? I guess what I asking is what's the existent of the difference in cc's between the saws?

Also I have a Stihl 066 which has a big bore kit , I found a double ended bar with 43" of cutting area. Could I run this saw with a helper on white pine? 24-30 inches?

Thanks
J
I haven't done it myself but in theory the 440 / 460 / 066 combo should work fine. The engines will find a common speed.

There is a hard mechanical link between the cranks called a chain.

It's the same reason one bank of V8 cylinders moves at the same speed with the other.

Do you think the 066 with a big bore is enough saw, to run on its own? with that big a bar with a helper handle? or would you run the 2 saws?

Thanks
J

All the cylinders in a V-8 are connected to a common cam and have to rev in unison. Two independent motors is not the same. I get the hard linkage but don't understand how they come to a common speed with different throttle controls.

All the cylinders in a V-8 are connected to a common cam and have to rev in unison. Two independent motors is not the same. I get the hard linkage but don't understand how they come to a common speed with different throttle controls.

We have been though this discussion multiple times on the forum.

The cam (and everything else hanging off the crankshaft) also just follows the crankshaft as it is the master controller.

Even in fuel injected engines the cylinders in a multicylinder engine never get EXACTLY the same amount of fuel anyway and if they were decoupled from the crank they would rev at slightly different speeds. It's the crank that pulls everything together.

So is it correct to say two independent motors will work on a common crankshaft (in this case the bar/chain) but the power contribution will be different between the two saws?

i would say the power would be equal to the smallest motor.the bigger will run to be equal.thats just my guess.

i would think though a bb 066 will cut pine just fine by itself,even 24"-30".

Thanks
J

You should be able to mill white pine of that size with 066 and a regular 36-42 bar depending on the mill setup. Pines and Spruces are a pleasurable milling experience with a 066 and a 36" bar. You could run the double ended bar with the helper handle but it seems like a massive amount of overkill for a 30" WP.

Back