dolmar 420/421

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I have said often already I see the ideal homeowner/firewooder combo a 40 & 60 cc set. And for me the 420/421 is one of the best by a large margin.

As I have said often already I see the ideal homeowner/firewooder combo a 40 & 60 cc set. And for me the 420/421 is one of the best by a large margin.

I'll stay with 50 and 60cc myself, and see no point with a 42cc saw that weights about the same as much stronger 50cc saws.

As I said earlier, the only reason that would make some sense is cost.

Be aware that the 420SC/421 is the heaviest of the current breed of 42/43cc pro quality saw.

I'll stay with 50 and 60cc myself, and see no point with a 42cc saw that weights about the same as much stronger 50cc saws.

As I said earlier, the only reason that would make some sense is cost.

Be aware that the 420SC/421 is the heaviest of the current breed of 42/43cc pro quality saw.
As I mentioned earlier, if you loose the cat, about the same weight as the 241. And only 300g more than the 543.

How about the 445 at 45cc? Bigger displacement, same class, same weight, same price, .3hp less. Seems like this is the dismal one in this area, not the little Dolly.

7, I'm running the 40-60 pair for firewood. I agree, its a good combination. I can tackle anything that I want to cut. After the wood is too big for that combo, I don't want to deal with it, because then it turns non efficient at the splitter.

Just like on the chain sharpening thread. Some can not sharpen chains, some do not want to sharpen chains, some do not want to try something new - what works for one may or may not work for the next guy.

Just as saw troll likes a certain brand of saw it may or may not work for the next guy. Something he fails to realize as a fact... although saw troll may want to hit the gym or something. ;)

The Dolmar 351 does of course have a much worse power to weight ratio, and definately is a model to avoid! :givebeer:

I sell just as many 351 as I do 421 and have never had a complaint. The 351 is not the best power to weight ratio saw but it is a very well built affordable saw that has plenty of power for the average user. AS Members are generally not average though

I was thinking the other night while I was using my 421 what a handy powerful saw it was. My dad liked it so well he bought one. Dolmar got it right with the easy start system. I got my 75 year old mom, that walks with a cane, 3 knee replacements, to start the 421. It was a piece of cake. She started it over and over with zero difficulty. Maybe Dolmar will start making the 421 out of plastic like Husky so Sawtroll will likey and by one too! Not!:D

Well got the the" heavy" 421 out this wknd. I was impressed, cut up bout 1/2 cord-this saw is exactly what i wanted,thing is a animal, it was about 10 degrees out and it popped off first pull every time...love it...now i'll have to invest in some good chains any suggestions?--gonna stick with 3/8 for now...

I thought about that one but haven't ran it personally. Lots of members here have commented on how good it is though

Well got the the" heavy" 421 out this wknd. I was impressed, cut up bout 1/2 cord-this saw is exactly what i wanted,thing is a animal, it was about 10 degrees out and it popped off first pull every time...love it...now i'll have to invest in some good chains any suggestions?--gonna stick with 3/8 for now...

How could that be?
Its far too heavy and "handles" like a dump truck.;);)

I've driven some dump trucks that were more fun go drive than a vette and they got the work done, too.:D

Like someone else said kind of late. The USA 420/421 comparison isn't as different as that of other parts of the world. The USA version 420 has the elastic start, the more modern coil that I can recall. Pretty much the difference is in the cylinder. One can study the parts sheets and see what I missed. The guys on here have put the clutch with rim sprockets from perhaps a 50cc dolmar with just a thinner washer to make it work. I also think the parts sheets shows a 7 tooth .325 spur clutch (in addition to 3/8 lp) so not sure about the no .325 comment earlier.

I put a loop of stihl 63 ps3 on mine. It takes 56 drive links. I got it off eBay where the seller advertises it in 55dl but if you ask him he will make it up for you. I got 3 loops.
Cuts like a mutha.

Latest posts

Back