splitter engines?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kafinlayson

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Looking at finally getting a splitter and have always been sold on the Honda engine, really the GX model. Are they still that much better than others? I borrowed a splitter the other day and it took forever to get started, heck I was wore out before the thing started running. :)

Another engine that I am considering is the Lifan.....I know it is chinese made...but most are these days and they have been a player in the motorcycle engine market for a while I believe. Surely they could make a decent one for a splitter. Looking at the 15 hp electric start model.....

Opinions on the Lifan motor? You can send me a pm on it if you would like.

Thanks
Keith

Look at the Chinese diesel engines available on ebay. I'd be looking at one of those if I was building a splitter myself. Cheap for an 8HP engine.

I have a northstar 37 ton splitter with a Honda GX and it starts on first pull, every time, with an easy pull. Has an idle drop down when the 4-way retracts into the garage...doesn't use much fuel. I don't have much to compare it to, but as far as ease of starting, it starts easier than any engine I've ever used and I never hear of anyone having issues with them. I have split @ 80-100 cords without issue. I use maybe a half gallon per day of splitting...depending of course on lots of other variables...just my.02

I have a Harbor Freight 11 hp Greyhound on mine & it normally starts on the 1st pull. (Unless I have forgot to shut off the fuel & then bounce it around causing it to flood.) It is around 5 years old & gets used regularly.

I have a Honda on my Hydraulic. Super Split has a Robin engine which I like very much. If either went it would be a toss up between those two as far as replacement. My 2 cents

Does Briggs make a small diesel? If so, I'd consider buying one.

I know there getting more scarce, but the KOHLER k series are one of the best small engines. Up to a 16 hp on a single cylinder. I can rebuild the carb in my sleep. The honda gx series is also a good engine. I've seen them get really abused and neglected but still keep on running. I currently have a gx340 that I'll be putting in my splitter project.

Harbor freight predator engines are a great little engine for the money, they sell a 13hp with electric start that should suit your purpose fine.

I used an old 8.5 tecumseh from a snow blower work threw in the dumpster because of stress cracks.
8 seasons of blowing 1 mile of side walk 3x daily.

The adapter I bought I had to lathe the center hole out bigger. As that was the only one to fit my pump and engine block bolt oattern, so I used the crank seal as center.

Works beautiful. Electric and pull.

Since then they chucked 4 more blowers. 4 more working free spares.

Best money can buy. I even used the camshaft output to belt drive a fan for my oil cooler.

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro

Does Briggs make a small diesel? If so, I'd consider buying one.
Yes Briggs sells a diesel engine. Its their vanguard series. I have a 31hp turbo on on my Ventrac Tractor. I dont think Briggs actually builds these engines, but think they are made in Japan and not China. I think they are actually Mitzubishi (sp) engines rebadged as briggs. I would have to go look at mine to be sure. Even tho My engine is called a briggs, It does have the correct manufactures name on it somewhere. These are very good engines, but are mostly considered to be throwaway motors since rebuild parts are a little pricey. They do have cast iron sleeves in the cylinders which should make rebuilding the engine the same as new

I don't see any Briggs Diesel's in something appropriate for a splitter, like 16HP or so.

Frankly, the whole "buy USA" rhetoric is getting old. The American public by and large doesn't care. So buy USA if you want but the Chinese have already won the "build it cheap" battle that the American public seems to like. It's a bummer when you can't find high quality things anymore because consumers have decided they are cheapskates, but that's the reality we live in.

Yes Briggs sells a diesel engine. Its their vanguard series. I have a 31hp turbo on on my Ventrac Tractor. I dont think Briggs actually builds these engines, but think they are made in Japan and not China. I think they are actually Mitzubishi (sp) engines rebadged as briggs. I would have to go look at mine to be sure. Even tho My engine is called a briggs, It does have the correct manufactures name on it somewhere. These are very good engines, but are mostly considered to be throwaway motors since rebuild parts are a little pricey. They do have cast iron sleeves in the cylinders which should make rebuilding the engine the same as new

The Briggs diesel is made in Japan by Diahatsu, their V twin gas Vanguards are made in Japan by Mitsubishi...

SR

Is there any small engines made in the USA?

Millions of Briggs & Kohlers every year.

I don't think there really is a rule-of-thumb which engine class is made where by either company so it might be easier to pick a model and google it or call customer service to find out.

I had a friend replace there snowblower engine with a kohler and it was clearly made in China.

I know there getting more scarce, but the KOHLER k series are one of the best small engines. Up to a 16 hp on a single cylinder. I can rebuild the carb in my sleep. The honda gx series is also a good engine. I've seen them get really abused and neglected but still keep on running. I currently have a gx340 that I'll be putting in my splitter project.
K series are among my favorites. The "Magnum" line is essentially the same save ss vs. points for the ignition.

I have a gas B&S on my splitter with ATF for hydraulic fluid. It has been easy pull starting, 2 or 3 pulls even in minus -10f outside. The ATF makes a huge difference in starting in the cold. We have 3 Honda GX motors at work I am not impressed with them lots of plastic parts and break down often.

Latest posts

Back