Tossed Cord?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wouldn't a tossed cord be 128 cu feet of space loaded with wood tossed in? In other words if it was stacked neatly it would come out to something less than a cord?
Where I live we sell ranks a face core a 61/2 foot truck bed stacked nice and neat is a rank even at the top of the bed thrown in all you can get in the same bed with no tool box is a rank of wood we have went to the trouble to measure it Level with the bed placed is one even rank throw in the bed heped up is a rank. our measurer was a 4 ft by 4 ft by 32 inch the pieces were 16 inch long. we dont do not sell by the cord in the city dont have room for it The beer drinker set in the parking lots with a load tossed in a s-10 with a tool box in the bed call it a rank for $60.00 your figures are as good as mine. I hate to see this because it bad mouths us all as firewood dealers it took me a long time to get my customers to trust me Later fellow and ladys.

Where I live we sell ranks a face core a 61/2 foot truck bed stacked nice and neat is a rank even at the top of the bed thrown in all you can get in the same bed with no tool box is a rank of wood we have went to the trouble to measure it Level with the bed placed is one even rank throw in the bed heped up is a rank. our measurer was a 4 ft by 4 ft by 32 inch the pieces were 16 inch long. we dont do not sell by the cord in the city dont have room for it The beer drinker set in the parking lots with a load tossed in a s-10 with a tool box in the bed call it a rank for $60.00 your figures are as good as mine. I hate to see this because it bad mouths us all as firewood dealers it took me a long time to get my customers to trust me Later fellow and ladys.

"we dont do not sell by the cord in the city dont have room for it" So sell it by the 1/4, 1/3, 1/2 cord then. That is legal. Your ranks, etc. are not legal measures in any state.

Harry K

I'm still waiting for the police report of someone being charged for selling by anything other than a cord? So millions of ranks, face cords, pickup loads, trailer loads etc sold every day, were are the police reports? The jails must be full of crooked wood dealers? Lets see the mug shots.

I sell face cords 4 foot high 8 foot long 16 inch lengths. If they want a cord they get 3 of these. As far as I know this is the standard for firewood. If you cut at different lengths you will have to get creative with your measuring. But I would think you could sell at any volume if the seller and buyer agree on a price. If someone complains about airspace I guess I could throw in a five gallon pail of saw dust to fill it in.

And 16 inch lengths is what I shoot for. But some might be 15.5 some might be 16.5. No customer has ever complained. I sometimes even throw a few shorties on top of the stack for free.

Sorry but I'm not very good at this. If I have 6 stacks that are over 6 ft high and 12 ft long then how many cords would that be? Everything averages 18".

If people started selling by the cord in my area fire wood sellers would be out business day one you do not tell the customer what he want he tells you. If your customer tells you he wants a rank of firewood right there you don't tell him I am going to sell you a cord he will tell you where to stick that cord. Later

I sell wood by the cord. That is the correct measurement to use and is the sign of a professional firewood vendor.

Just need 1/2 a cord? That's fine too, it's 64 cu ft. BUT it's 1/2 a cord, not a face cord, rick, rank, nancy, bill, shirley, or whatever else made up measurement.

I stack in the truck as it's the only way to really measure, not to mention I can fit much more.
My little truck has a 7.5ftx12ft bed with 3.25ft sides, 4 rows is a cord of 16" wood. My big truck is 8ftx20ft with 6ft sides, holds 6 cords.

Tossed in/off the conveyor is too hard to really know for sure what you have. I hauled a few loads home, bed filled to the top with the conveyor. Some loads were around a cord and some around 1.25. That's ~290 cu ft of space.
I've found it really depends on how the wood falls in. Too much variable to really say, "that's x amount of wood".

Also a ton of junk ends up in the truck. "Splitter trash" like bark, sawdust, and slivers of wood, Normally when I stack I shovel all that junk out and it gets piled and burned. Roughly end up with 1/2 a wheel barrow full per cord, depending how the wood is.
Also by stacking it gives me a chance to cull the shorts, punky wood or resplit anything that is too big.

I want to be honest with the wood sold. I know it's a cord and it also prevents someone from claiming I didn't deliver as much as they paid for.

I just don't know..you'd have to measure one stick, see how much cubic feet that is, then how many you would need to toss to make a cord..

..I ain't doin' no tossed cords....

I'm still waiting for the police report of someone being charged for selling by anything other than a cord? So millions of ranks, face cords, pickup loads, trailer loads etc sold every day, were are the police reports? The jails must be full of crooked wood dealers? Lets see the mug shots.
There is no law that states firewood has to be sold by a "cord"...only that if the firewood is being sold as a "cord" that it is 128cf.

I can sell it by the 5-gallon bucket or 55-gallon drum, as long as I don't call it a "cord".

steved, that would depend where you live. There are actually places where it is only legal to sell wood by the cord or by the bundle but the bundle has to be a certain size.
Wanna add some more confusion to it? Here is our infor. For instance here in Canada this is from the Canada weights and measurement website.
How is the quantity of bulk firewood stated?
The following are examples of legal units of measurement for use when selling bulk firewood in Canada:
  • The stacked cubic metre (stacked m3), which is 1 cubic metre (about 35.3 cubic feet) of neatly stacked firewood, including wood, bark and airspace.
  • The cubic foot.
  • The cord, which is 128 cubic feet or about 3.6 stacked cubic metres of firewood, including wood, bark and airspace.
Measurement Canada recommends that the use of the cord as a unit of measurement be discontinued, as it is largely misunderstood and often misused by people selling firewood. For example, some sellers use illegal terms such as "face cord", "stove cord", "apartment cord", "furnace cord" and "short cord" to refer to a quantity smaller than 128 cubic feet when selling bulk firewood. These and other similarly worded terms frequently lead to confusion about the actual quantity of firewood being sold.
To avoid any confusion about the amount of firewood purchased or sold, Measurement Canada recommends the use of the stacked cubic metre when purchasing and selling bulk firewood.

Sorry but I'm not very good at this. If I have 6 stacks that are over 6 ft high and 12 ft long then how many cords would that be? Everything averages 18".
6 X 12 X 1.5 X 6 / 128 = 5 cords Plus what is over six ft high and what is over twelve ft long.
6 feet high X 12 feet long X 18 inches long X 6 stacks divided by 128 cubic feet equals 5 cords.

In these parts we hillbillies sell wood by the rick. That's a stack 8 ft long and 4 ft high, you usually get told what length they want it cut and unless it is unusually short or long the price will be the same. Most old timers will have a stove that will take 18 to 20 inch wood. New to wood burning folks will want 14 to 16 inch. The amount of work involved isn't much different, even if the longer wood will measure out to be a larger fraction of a cord. The value of a cord of wood in the tree around here is less than 5 percent of the cost of one delivered, so the greater volume adds little to the cost. Few deliver any great distance, so that adds little to the cost.
Now, if someone were to ask for a cord of wood cut in 12 in sticks they will get it from me. But they will be paying for 4 ricks, they will just be getting less wood than the person who asked for 4 ricks of 20 inch wood at the same price per rick.

You are saying a "rick" is a 4x8ft stack of 14-18" wood. How can 4 "ricks" make a cord?

At 16" that is ~43 cu ft, so 3 of those would be a cord.

Even at 14" 4 rows is over a cord.

I'm curious on your 5% cost. By the time I am making logs into firewood I generally have about $100-130 into each cord.

steved, that would depend where you live. There are actually places where it is only legal to sell wood by the cord or by the bundle but the bundle has to be a certain size.
Wanna add some more confusion to it? Here is our infor. For instance here in Canada this is from the Canada weights and measurement website.
How is the quantity of bulk firewood stated?
The following are examples of legal units of measurement for use when selling bulk firewood in Canada:
  • The stacked cubic metre (stacked m3), which is 1 cubic metre (about 35.3 cubic feet) of neatly stacked firewood, including wood, bark and airspace.
  • The cubic foot.
  • The cord, which is 128 cubic feet or about 3.6 stacked cubic metres of firewood, including wood, bark and airspace.
Measurement Canada recommends that the use of the cord as a unit of measurement be discontinued, as it is largely misunderstood and often misused by people selling firewood. For example, some sellers use illegal terms such as "face cord", "stove cord", "apartment cord", "furnace cord" and "short cord" to refer to a quantity smaller than 128 cubic feet when selling bulk firewood. These and other similarly worded terms frequently lead to confusion about the actual quantity of firewood being sold.
To avoid any confusion about the amount of firewood purchased or sold, Measurement Canada recommends the use of the stacked cubic metre when purchasing and selling bulk firewood.

I would hate to be a camper trying to get an armload of firewood for the weekend.

Again, it can be any volume agreed upon; just don't sell a "cord" at 127cf. If you note the language you provided, it is all recommended...not law.

Back