Do stihls have more torque than husqvarna in general?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The modern gas chainsaw is a far different animal to its predecessors. The new way of doing things is all about chain speed and high rpm. Old saws are a lot more forgiving as far as a poorly sharpened chain. They had chain speeds of about 1/3 compared to the new generation saws and they would almost pull through anything and were far harder to bog down. The new fast high rpm saws need almost perfectly sharpened chains or they will not perform well. Its not that new saws are more powerful in terms of H.P, they are just faster and providing your chain is on the money will cut wood faster. The old saws had longer cylinders bores and max rpm was a lot less. lf you know how to file/grind chain well the modern chainsaw will get more work done faster. Just my 3 cents.

Two saws, same cc's, same Hp one of the them has more torque. Which one do you think will cut faster? Nobody is comparing diesel trucks or 1960 macs. Read the original post before you state ignorant comments.

Your statement was: "More torque equals more rpm in the wood bottom line". I am simply asking for you to provide an example of how this works.

I'm talking about comparing two saws that are similar in engine size with comparable hp. As in husky vs. stihl as the op stated, the one with more torque will hold more rpm in the wood. Is this difficult for you to understand?
Most of us know what you mean, unfortunately the condescending moron likes to chime in and let us know what a genius he is.

The 346 I've used seemed easy to bog, all mouth and no trousers, that's why I bought a 261. I've used someone else's 550 since and it was the same. Maybe the chains weren't all that but they were owned by two different experienced tree boys. Its all hard hardwood here

HP is the amount of work an engine or motor can provide, torque is a result of HP. HP is more important than torque. What I believe the OP felt is nothing more than than a different power band. If an engine makes it's power at say 8,000 rpm vs say 10,000rpm it will give the illusion it has more low end, when all you're really doing is operating the engine in it's power band. Now operate the engine that makes it's power at a higher rpm than pull it down too far it will seem like it's under powered, when in fact you're simply not operating the engine properly.

I thought with two strokes it was always about the rpms for performance. Kinda splitting hairs with comparable saws of each brand. Stihl's are the most popular and the best for a reason

HP is the amount of work an engine or motor can provide, torque is a result of HP. HP is more important than torque. What I believe the OP felt is nothing more than than a different power band. If an engine makes it's power at say 8,000 rpm vs say 10,000rpm it will give the illusion it has more low end, when all you're really doing is operating the engine in it's power band. Now operate the engine that makes it's power at a higher rpm than pull it down too far it will seem like it's under powered, when in fact you're simply not operating the engine properly.
Old Motocross rider are you ? Sounds correct .

Andre is right, it's about where the HP is made and how broadly it is distributed. The torque that everyone is wanting is a broader power band. It may or may not reach the same peak, but off-peak HP is greater on some saws than others. Getting the proper balance of peak and off-peak power is the trick.

I thought with two strokes it was always about the rpms for performance. Kinda splitting hairs with comparable saws of each brand. Stihl's are the most popular and the best for a reason
That's why my last 2 new saw purchases were a Dolmar and a Husqvarna...
Signed:
Someone who actually uses a saw more than 2hrs a week...
And fixes the neighbors' Farm Bosses for them...

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Huskies all seem to like a lighter hand up to the 385's or so to keep the chain speed up, when this happens they "usually" out cut the Stihls. I don't want to have to "push" a saw all day so for me that is not a bad thing. The Stihls that I own and a bunch that I have ran seem to have a big sweet spot and don't really care how they are ran, they just cut. My good friend who taught me how to cut 30 years ago [I was a hack before this and admit it] just said one thing about the Huskies. "FAST" And after living with saws in my hand for 5+ hours a day I came to appreciate this. So what ever saw will keep the highest chain speed will out cut another the other one with everything else being equal. And I am talking stock saws also, never had a chance to run a properly modded Stihl so I can't comment on that. CJ

Two saws, same cc's, same Hp one of the them has more torque. Which one do you think will cut faster? Nobody is comparing diesel trucks or 1960 macs. Read the original post before you state ignorant comments.
HP = torque X rpm. If the HP is the same but one has higher torque, then by definition it has that at a lower rpm. So you have a wider spread between the torque peak and HP peak, which implies a flatter curve, which is more forgiving to use. However, if they have the same peak HP and you use them at their peak HP rpms, they will both do the same work, as that is what HP is a measure of.

Another way of looking at is that these HP and torque numbers given are peak values, but you should picture them as a curve plotted vs. rpm. Even if both saws have the same peak HP as in your example, the one with higher torque at lower rpm has more HP at that rpm than the other one does.

The modern gas chainsaw is a far different animal to its predecessors. The new way of doing things is all about chain speed and high rpm. Old saws are a lot more forgiving as far as a poorly sharpened chain. They had chain speeds of about 1/3 compared to the new generation saws and they would almost pull through anything and were far harder to bog down. The new fast high rpm saws need almost perfectly sharpened chains or they will not perform well. Its not that new saws are more powerful in terms of H.P, they are just faster and providing your chain is on the money will cut wood faster. The old saws had longer cylinders bores and max rpm was a lot less. lf you know how to file/grind chain well the modern chainsaw will get more work done faster. Just my 3 cents.

Just how far back do consider "old" unless you meant the '50s, I will disagree with your 1/3 chain speed quote.

Back