13 HP Harbor Freight motor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, I have a POS Tecumsch engine on a tiller also. After 21 years it still starts on the second pull. If it goes I just might look at a Predator engine.

My Tecumseh tiller motor never had problems starting. It did have a problem with bolts coming loose - factory tightened bolts. The ignition module unbolted itself while I was running it and hit the flywheel, made a lot of noise and tearing up both flywheel and module. I read somewhere that folks were using predator engines for repowering tillers. Went to Harbor Freight website and discovered that the new predator motor had the same mount pattern as the Tecumseh. It was an easy job to swap the motors. And the predator usually starts on the first pull :)

I have a 13 hp Predator engine with a 16 gpm 2 stage pump.

100 + cords on it, works great.

Love having electric start in winter.

they have a new 22hp twin too. Not sure any splitter could take advantage of the hp.

Any Harbor Freight motor can be purchased ONLINE,.. Let me say that again,.. ONLINE.. Using a valid/ current "Super Coupon" that can easily be found online by googling "2015 Harbor Freight 20% Coupon" (hell at times they have 25% off)

(Dont want to argue about whether or not you can use the coupon BECAUSE I KNOW you can..)

Im going to build a 22hp Vtwin Swamp Runner (SPS) longtail mud motor.

(This motor, this SPS kit,.. To the door & assembled for roughly $1,400,.. For a vtwin mud motor thats crazy low.. There are mud motor snobs just like saw snobs/ gun snobs etc etc etc,.. Both the Predator (Lifan,.. If you dont know who Lofan is google Lifan& Honda small engines.. Honda teamed up with Lifan for a while, its all Honda technology..)

If any of you wanted a slightly higher quality "clone",.. Lifan is the very finest of the clone family, hands down.. And only marginally more expensive. Home Depot Carries the Lifan line online and offer a great warranty.

(If anyone thinks these clones are junk just research cart racing, the cart guys are using the Predator 212cc almost exclusively.. The hot rod lifted golf cart guys are using the "big block" 420cc with great success)

Thanks for that information. That's good to know. What size engine did you use chuckwood?

Didn't know this thread was still going. It's a small Craftsman rear tine tiller and I used the 3hp Predator engine to replace the original 3 hp Tecumseh. Good thing I'm thinking about it right now. Need to get busy and run the carb dry and put it up for winter.

I'll vouch for the Predators. Have two of them and use them a lot and no complaints. I bumbled into one of HF's tent sales and bought a returned 8hp for less than an off the shelf 6hp, made them all but swear to take it back if it was screwed up, bolted it on an old Rupp 3 wheel mud buggy and blasted off into infinity. The other one has been on my splitter for 5 years. No problems yet.

I bought a 212cc predator to put on a snow blower I picked up be side the road but decided in the end to replace the old 8hp B/S on my splitter. It is the non hemi one Idem number 69730. I was so happy with it I went and bought the Hemi version for that snow blower, it is Idem number 60363. You can tell the difference when looking at them.
Non Hemi has a stamped valve cover.

Hemi version has a cast alum valve cover.

I found a web site that sell the parts to get as much as 26hp from that little 212cc hemi engine.
I just got a third engine another hemi version that I am putting on a Tomahawk chipper shredder as soon as I get some longer bolts because the base is thicker than the old tec engine.

:D Al

OK so I posted the wrong link but I assure you you can use some coupons online for the 20% off you just need to try and do some research I don't have time to mess with it right now but there are coupons out of an absolutely will work

Thanks for the link.I am in the infant planning stages of a new splitter.Mine works very good but that was a 1st build for me and there are alot of things to incorporate into a new one.Thanks again.

I bought a 212cc predator to put on a snow blower I picked up be side the road but decided in the end to replace the old 8hp B/S on my splitter. It is the non hemi one Idem number 69730. I was so happy with it I went and bought the Hemi version for that snow blower, it is Idem number 60363. You can tell the difference when looking at them.
Non Hemi has a stamped valve cover.

Hemi version has a cast alum valve cover.

I found a web site that sell the parts to get as much as 26hp from that little 212cc hemi engine.
I just got a third engine another hemi version that I am putting on a Tomahawk chipper shredder as soon as I get some longer bolts because the base is thicker than the old tec engine.

:D Al

Back