13 HP Harbor Freight motor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milkie62

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Has anybody used one of these on a splitter ? If so what kind of mt are you using for the pump ? Does HF mimic a Honda mount ?

If you are speaking of the horizontal PREDATOR motors, then yes the Honda mount is a direct fit for them. Seems like the only problems I've had with the motors is gas caps and loose carb bolts, other than that...I've had excellent luck with them.

Yes the predators.I also seen they have an 18 Hp I think now also,but no gas tank.
No gas tank? Strange. What do they think a buyer would do...IV pole the gas into it? I've seen an awful lotta good reviews and things about the Predator line of motors.

If you are speaking of the horizontal PREDATOR motors, then yes the Honda mount is a direct fit for them. Seems like the only problems I've had with the motors is gas caps and loose carb bolts, other than that...I've had excellent luck with them.

I've got a couple of predator motors. One powers a rototiller that formerly had a POS tecumseh motor on it that blew up. The other powers a wood splitter. Both motors start on the first or second pull and run great. The gas caps don't fit so well and seem to take a lot of force to tighten, so I've heard they eventually come apart. So I don't tighten mine very much. No issues with loose carb bolts......yet. I'll watch 'em to make sure they behave.

Tough to beat for 1/3 the price and nearly complete interchangeability with Honda GX line. Good clone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No gas tank? Strange. What do they think a buyer would do...IV pole the gas into it? I've seen an awful lotta good reviews and things about the Predator line of motors.
Pretty standard for the 2 cylinder OPE engines to come without a tank. HF at least includes a muffler.... I thought they were selling a 22hp v twin?

Buddy has one. Couldn't tell you. Starts one pull and runs. Cheap parts at gxparts.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah the 18 HP would be great for a 28 gpm pump but would have to rig up a gas tank.

I had an 18hp Briggs on a 28gpm pump. If I build another one, it'll have the predator 22. That way you can max out the PSI adjustment that it shifts to the second stage. It'll split more without shifting down.

Ian

I have a 13HP motor from Harbor Freight that is 7 years old. "Greyhound" brand--blue in color. Exact Honda mimic. Same mount. With coupons it was $260 and we have beat the life out of it and it still runs great. And it came with a 3 year warranty. -20 degrees, no problems. We have it coupled to a 22 GPM chief brand pump and it really moves a 4" x 24" cylinder. Muffler is starting to fall apart but who doesn't love a screaming log splitter for 5 or 6 hours on a Sunday afternoon??

I have one that I just mounted on my splitter. I will see if I can take some pictures at lunch.

It is mounted to a 22 gpm pump which is pushing a 5" x 30" cylinder. Knotty elm doesn't even kick the rpm's up.

Problems I have ran into:

Pump bracket is to short because of length of output shaft. I just spaced the mount out, I will probably buy a new mount in the near future.

Engine was wider than previous engine, I had to move the engine back about 8 inches to get it to fit. This required some fab work and new hoses.

Depending on which side your engine is on, the exhaust blows right on the cylinder, the outside of cylinder was seeing 300+ degrees so I am not running it like that. I am going to order a mud motor exhaust for mine that will blow straight back and I will shield the cylinder.

they are externally identical to a Honda GX390. Inside there a little bigger at 420cc.. If the splitter was set up for a Honda or could have one as an option it will be a bolt on

Why not think about turning that exhaust straight up and extending it above head height gets the noise away a bit and nothing blowing on you or unit that way. Might look strange, just a fleeting thought.

Why not think about turning that exhaust straight up and extending it above head height gets the noise away a bit and nothing blowing on you or unit that way. Might look strange, just a fleeting thought.

I thought about that, but I do not want something sticking up that I may end up catching on something. Seems like one more thing to easily get broke.

if the tiller is a troy bilt horse, the $100 6.5hp fits right on. Need a couple metric bolts, but there $4 per pound at Tsc. Some of the other troy bilts used a camshaft driven ( aux pto ) pulley for the reverse

Wow, I have a POS Tecumsch engine on a tiller also. After 21 years it still starts on the second pull. If it goes I just might look at a Predator engine.
yeah!! aint that amazing?? I mean,,they were used on nearly EVERY brand of rototiller and snowblower,,for over thirty years,,and just kept going like the energizer bunny!! but then,,i also know a few,,that could destroy a Sherman tank in 1/2 hr.........................:dizzy::dizzy::laughing:

the old tecs are awesome motors. I have an HH120 on a 1968 sears garden tractor. Problems come when you need parts. They don't exist anymore. If its running good dont touch it.. My sears tractor fires up every time without issue, but even a carb kit is hard to find

Latest posts

Back