Superstitions??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No red Maple leaves here on the ground by me yet, but my black gum is already pushing little blueberry-like seeds out on its' branches when it normally starts mid to late September, so we'll see. Got plenty of oak and maple seasoning so I should be good. It's been said these more brutal cold winters could be the norm for a while......

Oaks here are loaded with acorns and the Hollys are holding heavy on the berries, last time I noticed that we had a whopper of a winter. On well, got the wood ready and the whole house generator finished, bring it on!

We could use a cold long winter to kill all these damn bugs!

Now there's a superstition for you. We were hoping the same thing when we had a doozey of a winter a couple years ago. They were back stronger than ever that summer.

No cicadas here yet. Some years they are deafening but nothing so far. It is still a bit early though.

I'm 120 miles SW of you and we've had cicadas going for a couple weeks now.

Been hearing the locust for over a week now. Some of the smaller Cherry trees have already turned and dropped their leaves. The squirrels appear purposely busy already. The corn husks are a bit thick this year. Frogs are showing up in the yard.
The old farmers are claiming an early frost, fall and hard winter.
I might just start movin' some of the firewood in the house this month... could be lightin' up in early September.

Had my first fire today.

The trees are taking to letting the leaves go early this year, though.

No red Maple leaves here on the ground by me yet, but my black gum is already pushing little blueberry-like seeds out on its' branches when it normally starts mid to late September, so we'll see. Got plenty of oak and maple seasoning so I should be good. It's been said these more brutal cold winters could be the norm for a while......
i noticed a peach tree that has never produced has a bumper crop of nice peaches on the limbs and they look juicy.

2 years ago you said there was no way you would ever light the stove before Halloween (I believe), no mater the temp.
Hmmmm.... I don't believe I've ever said, "no way, no matter what the temp"... burning bridges ain't my way.

I may have said we never do or have, I may have said I don't remember ever lighting up before then... I may have even made some tongue-in-cheek comment about refusing to light up early (I don't remember). We normally have the windows open well into October, and Halloween usually marks the beginning of the heating season. I don't light up because of one cool day or evening, I usually wait to light up until it's time to stay lit up.

But, if I actually have changed my tune... maybe I'm getting old and senile.

Yep! There was a few days last week when the wife started work early; I could see my breath when I went outside. The nights get to be around the 60's again and talking 82 for today and one or two days it might get to be 90 again. The corn looks good in the fields but my garden looks like hell with all the cooler weather at night. I have acorns one the once oak here and none on the oaks up north of us. A lot of the smaller birds and butterflies are going south already.

Last week there was a cool breeze here in the morning. Enuff that I grabbed a jacket. All it too to get me thinking about winter........

all the maple seeds this spring was a dead give away that winter would be harsh this year

Latest posts

Back