MS 361 & MS 390 to buy or not?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReggieT

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hey guys short & sweet. I have an opportunity to buy both of these saws used.
The MS 390 the guy wants $150 comes with 20 in bar/chain..."had it for 3 yrs no issues, no leaks...does not know how to run a compression test...looks clean in the pics!
The mS361 is $250 OBO...talked with the guy once...and he sounds slightly desperate & a little fruity (he asked about my shoulder to hip ratio)!:eek:o_O
Said his Pa gave it to him...and it's in excellent shape and I can cut a log or two with it...no leaks...says it has excellent compression, yet doesn't remember said compression...but may let it go for less than $250!

Here is the deal: Both deals are a least 4 hrs round trip drive running wide freaking open!
My only motivation is get them clean em up & flip them for some spare change!

What a you guys thoughts?
Thanks,
Reg

MS390.jpg

MS361.jpg

If it will be lucrative do it. Also have a plan B in case the saws aren't what he says they are. Like rebuild them with Chinese parts or part them out to recover costs. Driving wide open for 4hrs will really suck the fuel.

I wouldn't do it. The costs to build a saw add up fast.

I've never bought a saw just to flip, but on the ones I've decided to sell after repairs, I've found myself having a hard time even breaking even.

You don't know what lurks inside those saws as well. They look beat outside. People who don't care about the outside generally don't care about the inside.

IDK, I'd vote no.

YIKES!!
An overwhelmingly negative response!!! LOL
Which I greatly respect!
If it were an hour or hour and a half...I'd @ least check em out...but you all are right!:rock:

Besides the Richard Simmons impersonator keeps asking for more personal info...starting to creep me out!:crazy2::eek:
He sounds like one of the characters from; "The Hills Have Eyes!"

The prices are pretty good (for around here, anyway), but the four drive + unknown condition makes it chancy. The fuel cost pretty much takes away any profit margin on flipping, and if you have to spend $$ on parts on top of that......no.

Would I do it - drive and buy? Not on a bet. There are very few things that I'd drive 4 hours for, and used saws in unknown shape are not on that short list.

What is your free time worth? I figure mine is worth at least 2x what I get paid to be at work, so no, a 4-hour drive is not an acceptable investment for a flipper saw.

i done a 18 hr round trip to buy my scag.luckily i got lucky.new gas and sparkplugs and i mowed for 4 years before the head gaskets blew.lapped the heads and new gaskets and then another 3 years before the clutch went out.
sometimes you do get lucky.

Yep Jughead...I reckon that was some sorta flaming code or deviant culture lingo...thank God I don't know it!!

I'm thinking shoulder to hip ratio might have something to do with the length of an axe handle or chainsaw bar. Maybe hes trying to size you up to see what else he can sell you.

Back