Log splitter went boom today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

300zx_tt

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I got home from work at 4 today, I thought I'd start splitting some rounds I have, ya know try and be a little productive... On my second round of black walnut, boom, motor cuts out. She's seized up big time. The motor was a Briggs 675ex serries that was bought new in 2013 that the previous owner had put on. What a shame. There goes another $200 into this splitter!!

At least I have my health!

What caused it to seize up?

Connecting rod failure, previous owner seems to have run her hard, I should have changed the oil in it, I bought the thing last spring, and so far I've done $400 worth of hydraulic work to it and now a new motor... I think he knew what he was doing

Yeah I'm looking into it, I found a factory refurbished Honda 6.5hp online, just waiting to hear back about shipping. It's $169, I think it's coming from Japan though. His Engrish is awfur. :)

NO big deal like said above 99$ harbor freight 10 minute switch out back in business simple,cheap,easy what's not to like??

Sad to say, but not worth fixing. That connecting rod alone will run you $35-$60 depending on where you get it. I really hate to admit, but those Harbor Freight motors are a really good option.

The shaft isn't the right diameter, or length, they don't have a whole lot of info/specs on that motor on the site... I found the same Briggs 625ex motor for 109 plus shipping ~$20 so $129 and its up and running. For 169 shipped I can get a Briggs 725 serries. What do you guys think? 725 is just bigger, more hp more tq it's also heavier, louder, more $$

The Honda mentioned above was 169 euro and shipping is 75 bucks so that's out.

I would stay away from Briggs/Tecumseh. . . the HF engines are rock solid performers. You can also search on Home Depot and buy Lifan engines that are shipped to the store free. They are about $40-$50 more than the HF engines. Some may say better quality.... HF offers a 2 year extended warranty for about $18.

I would stay away from Briggs/Tecumseh. . . the HF engines are rock solid performers. You can also search on Home Depot and buy Lifan engines that are shipped to the store free. They are about $40-$50 more than the HF engines. Some may say better quality.... HF offers a 2 year extended warranty for about $18.
I wouldn't hesitate buying a B/S engine.I have 7 right now and in the past I've had 1 failure and 1 that never did run right.As to Tecumseh I had 1 on a push behind mower that hung in for 20 years before giving up the ghost. I have 1 Chonda and it's a bit temperamental and sometimes a hard starter.It's fairly old so maybe the newer ons are better.Just my experience.

I wouldn't hesitate buying a B/S engine.I have 7 right now and in the past I've had 1 failure and 1 that never did run right.As to Tecumseh I had 1 on a push behind mower that hung in for 20 years before giving up the ghost. I have 1 Chonda and it's a bit temperamental and sometimes a hard starter.It's fairly old so maybe the newer ons are better.Just my experience.
yup!! people and their bashing of tecumsehs...those engines,,in varying hp's..were used on about every brand of snowblowers for years,,,and if taken care of,,they run like the energizer bunny.........used on a bunch of rototillers also.....

I got home from work at 4 today, I thought I'd start splitting some rounds I have, ya know try and be a little productive... On my second round of black walnut, boom, motor cuts out. She's seized up big time. The motor was a Briggs 675ex serries that was bought new in 2013 that the previous owner had put on. What a shame. There goes another $200 into this splitter!!

At least I have my health!
gonna get back to ya. where in SEPA are ya? gonna check on a place in lancaster co that sells all kinds of motors.

Back