Log splitter went boom today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shaft size dosen't matter as you should be running through a lovejoy connection anyway!! match up any shaft size to another available anywhere, not expensive !!

You are correct, but I don't want to shim the motor 2 1/2 inches up to accommodate the extra shaft length.

I work at a John deere dealer, still a high schooler but I graduated early and am full time now right before I go to college in October, I worked there last summer where I became "dan dan the lawn mower man" to say I have worked on a more than a few small engines would be correct. If I had to pick here is my order of engines

Quality engines
1. Kawasaki
2. Subaru/Robin
3. Briggs
4. Honda

Cheap engines
1. Honda
2. Subaru/Robin
3. Briggs
4. Harbor freight knock offs.

Notice each manufacture makes a good and a cheap series of engines except kawasaki, they do not make a cheap engine but the engines are built, earliest I have seen a kawasaki wear out is 500 hours of 200 hour oil changes

I work at a John deere dealer, still a high schooler but I graduated early and am full time now right before I go to college in October, I worked there last summer where I became "dan dan the lawn mower man" to say I have worked on a more than a few small engines would be correct. If I had to pick here is my order of engines

Quality engines
1. Kawasaki
2. Subaru/Robin
3. Briggs
4. Honda

Cheap engines
1. Honda
2. Subaru/Robin
3. Briggs
4. Harbor freight knock offs.

Notice each manufacture makes a good and a cheap series of engines except kawasaki, they do not make a cheap engine but the engines are built, earliest I have seen a kawasaki wear out is 500 hours of 200 hour oil changes

Interesting, In my experiences Honda has made one of the best motors out there, in pretty much all spectrums of the motor world, I've always run Honda quads and dirt bikes. Never once had an issue with any of them, my generator and pressure washer both have Honda motors and have never given me an issue. Similarly my girlfriend has had 2 Honda accords one with 205k and her current has 170k. My girlfriends father has had several boats and the two he has had with Hondas were his best by far.

I've talked to the guy at my local lawnmower shop and he says the subarus are junk, they have them in the shop non stop.

Kawasaki and Briggs have always been more middle of the road in my mind.

Funny how opinions car vary so much on something that is relatively finite

All depends on the series of engines being a John deere we don't see the cheaper series of engines. I will say I'm getting good at tearing into Hondas to fix broken rings though. Other then that they seem decent, other than being a pain in the butt to start hot and cold, can get them to start well on one but not the other, have spent hours tuning cleaning and assembling Honda carbs trying to figure it out.

She's up and running again, I replaced it with the same model Briggs motor. $130 shipped to my door and a 2 minute install.

Bought the splitter for $400
Needed hydraulic work. $350
New motor $130
Total. Spent. $880
I could have almost bought a brand new one for that much :angry:

All depends on the series of engines being a John deere we don't see the cheaper series of engines. I will say I'm getting good at tearing into Hondas to fix broken rings though. Other then that they seem decent, other than being a pain in the butt to start hot and cold, can get them to start well on one but not the other, have spent hours tuning cleaning and assembling Honda carbs trying to figure it out.

I've worked on several John Deere push and riders with cheap engines. Briggs mostly.

Pretty much cheap junk with JD stickers slapped on. Customer isn't happy to find out its just a green AYP/MTD (whatever it is now)

Back